What mod would you make?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
vvi77iam

Re: What mod would you make?

Post by vvi77iam » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:26 pm

im thinking large monster beast like godzilla that everyone has to team up on to beat. like the last wolf boss in lugaru how he was bigger and when he'd hit u, turner would fly across the map bouncing off the ground. but im thinking this mega boss is gigantic and has even greater strength then the wolf boss and it just romes around the entire world of overgrowth going into city's and slaughtering all challengers.

mphasis

WARZONE

Post by mphasis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:19 am

Being able to sign into a warzone where there are both AI and players on multiple sides, guarding strategic locations like towers, castles, valleys etc.
And having giant godzilla ai ripping through the middle.
Awesome.

Hell, even just having a game that was exactly the same as lugaru 1 would still be awesome :).

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:43 am

I'd really like to make a spiritual successor to Sid Meier's Sword of the Samurai.

Its basically a dynasty wargame which is all about internal politics, honour and backstabbing without getting caught :)

It featured: Field battles, skirmishes and personal duels. Sort of like an arcade/role-playing version of Total War.

Have to wait and see what we can do with the tools. I suppose learning some Java wouldn't hurt either.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:52 am

Javascript; not java. ;)

Similar names, but one of those are totally useless in this context. :)

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 am

*Facepalm* :roll:

Cheers. :)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:57 am

Cheers. :wink:

Good luck.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:50 am

This community is the best =D
Really, I can't wait to see what it all turns out to be.
And to see all those different mods!
Oh, the glory! :mrgreen:

mphasis

lol

Post by mphasis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:09 pm

If you knew how to program in Java, learning javascript is a piece of cake:p
But yes, very different things ;).
You can learn javascript here: http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_intro.asp

mphasis

D&D

Post by mphasis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm tempted to find an open source text based d&d game, then parse it's output into various Overgrowth levels, just for fun.
(And sword of the samurai sounds fun!)

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:19 pm

I'd remake lugaru, and maybe add in the alternate endings, and if possible not have a map screen just have you run to get the places you need to go.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:36 am

Count Roland wrote:and if possible not have a map screen just have you run to get the places you need to go.
That would be really cool. That's how I thought Lugaru was going to be when I first played it. I wanted to make a huge map with lots of people in my campaign, like a city, but the editor limited the amount of objects and rabbits you could put on the map.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:50 am

I lack the programming skills to make these, but ...

• (as mentioned earlier) Zombies - Shotguns and rifles would be necessary weapon additions, and the level of blood would be ridiculous. Multiplayer would be a bonus.

• (as I mentioned on the other forum) Skiing/Snowboarding - Racing could be sweet, especially with multiplayer.

Grand Theft Lugaru - Guns, cars and rabbits. Cars would be a bit of a bitch to model and program, though.

Parkour - Though some elements may be in the actual game, urban chases featuring insane climbing and jumping manoeuvres would kick ass.

• A complete recreation of Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon. A few other classic movies would be good too. Maybe The Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven?

• With the additions of other creatures, something based off the Redwall series of books could be fun. I loved those when I was younger.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:00 am

My main interest would be in trying to add totally new weapons to the game -- not just new models and stats, but new animations to go with said models. For example, for all that nunchaku make pretty impractical weapons, I bet they'd be great for performing Lugaru-style reversals, especially if the two rods are connected by a metal chain. I have a certain small amount of experience making model animations, and it'd be great to be able to play around with animations inside the game proper.

Edit: tonfa, which would be to the bo staff what knives are to swords (no throwing, of course, but they'd give relatively quick strikes that are more powerful than punches). Polearms, like a naginata, and possibly a no-dachi (basically a massive katana). Maybe escrima (fighting sticks)? Difficult to see how that would be functionally all that different from tonfa, which have a bit more flair.
Last edited by Derakon on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mango

Post by Mango » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:05 am

Hi people, just pre-ordered but have never been a frequent to this forum.

Anyway, I remember in some old blog post or something David said there would be two games to make up Lugaru 2 (as it was still called back then). The first would be like Lugaru is now; a campaign and also with multiplayer and all that, but there was also going to be a larger scale game which I got the impression was to be a bit RPG-ish. Does anyone remember seeing this? Please link the post if you do, I spent quite a while going back through the blog. Anyway, if the devs have changed their minds, that could be a cool mod to make.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:53 am

'fraid I don't have a link, but yeh, I remember that.

Honestly we're still waiting to hear what the actual plans are for Overgrowth. I suspect its closer to the original in terms of structure as I seem to remember David and/or Jeff saying something about the required systems and content for the RPG they had planned would be a whole extra layer of development.

With that said, I also remember Jeff mentioning dialogues as part of his UI discussion, but that could simply have meant dialogue boxes rather than icons/options. We'll just have to wait for some official word on the structure of the game - all the old news seems out of date.