Water In Lugaru 2

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Should Lugaru 2 have large bodies of water/water dynamics

Yes
84%
No
6%
Dont care
10%

Total votes: 615

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Water In Lugaru 2

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:16 am

It has come to my attention that Jeff and the team are unsure about whether or not to have water In Lugaru 2. It seems as though they do not want it, For what reason I do not know.

I love Lugaru and I love Jeff so whatever the teams decision I will be happy with, but I DO wish that Lugaru 2 will have water in it... Even if it is in the form of a stagnant pool, or lake... where water physics is minimal. I'm sure you could rig something up like in Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, where it was not super complex, but added a whole other layer to the beauty and dimension of the game.

In the end I'm sure water will not add *much* to the game play, and ultimately will make the game more of a burden on a PC to run,
but imagine hopping across the surface of the water like a ninja, or maybe washing the blood of yourself so next time you can sneak attack undetected (smelt) once more.

I believe that water can add another dimension to the game; One of beauty and of adventure.
Pleeeaaasseeee think positively about adding water to Lugaru Wolfire! But in the end I will respect your decision.

A few links to help pursuade you people :]
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IrohwKhsxJ4
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=oe7aRgXB4 ... re=related
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=q631uZ6DQzg

peace
Last edited by Mike_Cuzins on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

tekn04

Re: Water In Lugaru 2

Post by tekn04 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:27 am

There... already is...

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:28 am

says who?
I don't think you know for sure, I was talking to Jeff a few minutes ago.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:29 am

What exactly did he say?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:43 am

We would like water, but unfortunately it is not as easy as you are making it out to be. A few issues:

- How does the AI react to it.
- Can you fight in the water?
- A set of swimming animations. For all species.
- What if you are wearing too much armor?
- Fighting in water?
- The physics involved in making water match the quality of the rest of the engine.

We would like to get water, and it is not very unreasonable to create cool looking water graphics, which David has done previously. However, it is too early to tell if we will have time to implement water fully.

Basically, the philosophy of Overgrowth is that everything we are going to put in the game is going to have a certain level of excellence. We are going for a level of polish rarely seen in indie games. We want to maintain an atmosphere of consistent quality. If we can do a good water implementation, that would be sweet.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:46 am

ah, that answers my question.
I didn't mean to niggle you, but this topic has been bothering me.
anyway, that was a good answer thank you :]

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:26 am

Lugaru is an island isn't it? So at the very least there'll probably be a shore that is used as a barrier to where the world map ends. That's just me guessing though.

mphasis

PUDDLES!

Post by mphasis » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:06 am

I don't think there should be pools of water, or even lakes.
But I would like to see puddles.
If anyone has seen Ghost in the shell 1 where there is a fight in a waterway you'll understand.
Splashes make impacts awesome, legs and feet lift drops or streams of water.
Water can impact vision, slow people down(If it reaches knee/waist height)
Make armour heavy with water, wash blood off.
Waterfalls are spectacular, and very zen/martial arts.
Slippery wet surfaces that are shiny and easy to fall over on with reduced friction, that may even freeze overnight and become very dangerous.

Shallow water would be awesome, and not beyond the capabilities of your engine.
But again, "In Wolfire we trust."

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:17 am

Jeff wrote:We would like water, but unfortunately it is not as easy as you are making it out to be. A few issues:

- How does the AI react to it.
- Can you fight in the water?
- A set of swimming animations. For all species.
- What if you are wearing too much armor?
- Fighting in water?
- The physics involved in making water match the quality of the rest of the engine.

We would like to get water, and it is not very unreasonable to create cool looking water graphics, which David has done previously. However, it is too early to tell if we will have time to implement water fully.

Basically, the philosophy of Overgrowth is that everything we are going to put in the game is going to have a certain level of excellence. We are going for a level of polish rarely seen in indie games. We want to maintain an atmosphere of consistent quality. If we can do a good water implementation, that would be sweet.
It would be! It would, just as Mike said, create a whole new level of beauty and excellence in-game!
And as far as I'm concerned, I don't care if it's a full-fledged physics system with swimming animations for all species (except those which can't swim ^-^), or a simple light-reflective low-opacity sheet of illusion that doesn't have any gameplay significance at all! (walking and fighting underwater is same as above, etc)

In any case, I hope you guys can get the time and funding you need to create and implement every single detail you want to =D

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Glabbit wrote:or a simple light-reflective low-opacity sheet of illusion that doesn't have any gameplay significance at all! (walking and fighting underwater is same as above, etc)
Worst idea ever. That would make the game seem less complete, which is exactly what they are trying to avoid.

I'd rather have no water at all than incomplete water.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Ltp0wer wrote:Worst idea ever.

Napoleon, like anyone could even know that.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm fully behind the team on this one. What continues to make Lugaru so entertaining even after playing it to death is that while it doesn't do very many things, what it does do it does right.

If it takes a game or two before water makes it I won't miss it if the rest makes up for it. Only put a feature in if its worthwhile and we'll have another great game on our hands.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:52 pm

I think maybe everyone IS setting their standards a bit high though...
by well do you mean, a massive water dynamic engine which can generate ocean waves and accommodates small bodies of water like a bucket?

what game DOESNT use a single plane to model the surface of water? chuck on a displace map or a bump map even, a cool shader...

I don't know, but I would like to see some water.
partly because the idea of not being able to run right to the edge of the island and see the ocean disappoints me. what happened to a open map? no levels or boundries? is that idea scrapped?

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:05 pm

GaGrin's point is important. If you're going to do something, do it well. All this talk of a reflective translucent plane -- that's not water. That's a cheap cop-out. Given the quality we've seen on the other parts of the game (detailed blood flows, smooth animations, high-quality models), having a cheap water system would be really jarring and would actually detract from the gameplay.

I do think that the idea of having shallow puddles in some places could work well. That's small enough that you can realistically simulate it with a few particle effects, and assuming the game has weather, which it should -- Lugaru had snow, so Overgrowth should have at least that much -- it'd be really neat if rain generated a few such ponds.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:24 pm

I would love water! But I'll trust the team to make that decision. I have full confidence that they'll produce something awesome without my input. :?