OG weapons

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ninjas

OG weapons

Post by Ninjas » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Here is a main-gauche (literally "left hand") for Overgrowth. This kind of dagger is used mostly defensively.

I will add some more stuff up here as a make it.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Re: OG weapons

Post by Nuky » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Oooo, pretty handle. :)

Is that a cat pouncing from the moon to a star? :)

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:43 pm

I like the decoration on the blade. The handle looks good too, but I have two concerns:

1) This is obviously an expensive weapon, as it's decorated -- most weapons would be much more workmanlike.
2) I'd be concerned about the grip becoming slippery from sweat or blood. Ivory and metal are pretty smooth surfaces as a general rule, and the surface isn't carved to increase traction, so the only thing increasing grip is the banding.

The backspike suggests an attack that's at odds with the weapon's supposed use -- if it's for parrying, then the spike should face the other way so it can be used to trap weapons. This design looks like it's more for "ripping". Such a vicious attack is also at odds with the elegant design of the rest of the weapon. Also, I'm having trouble envisioning how you'd manage to put the spike to use; it seems like the guard would "protect" your target from the spike with any stroke I can come up with.

It looks like there's some kind of rendering artifact near the tip -- part of the blade looks detached. This might just be due to the lighting, though.

Overall, it's very solid! You do nice work.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:00 pm

Derakon wrote:1) This is obviously an expensive weapon, as it's decorated -- most weapons would be much more workmanlike.
That's true, there won't be too many weapons like this just lying around! The wealthier cats really like to wear their money in the form of expensive clothes, jewelry and weapons.
2) I'd be concerned about the grip becoming slippery from sweat or blood. Ivory and metal are pretty smooth surfaces as a general rule, and the surface isn't carved to increase traction, so the only thing increasing grip is the banding.

The backspike suggests an attack that's at odds with the weapon's supposed use -- if it's for parrying, then the spike should face the other way so it can be used to trap weapons. This design looks like it's more for "ripping". Such a vicious attack is also at odds with the elegant design of the rest of the weapon. Also, I'm having trouble envisioning how you'd manage to put the spike to use; it seems like the guard would "protect" your target from the spike with any stroke I can come up with.
I'm glad you brought this up: we are putting a lot of thought into how the weapons are actually used! With this dagger one would parry with the blunt side of the weapon, since it is stronger and won't dull the cutting edge. The hook is then used to pull the other weapon away after parrying. It is not primarily meant for ripping, but the front of the hook is sharpened, so if the cat stabs someone with the dagger then he can push on the pommel with all his weight to shove it in the rest of the way. The cats are as vicious as they are extravagant, so this design expresses their character very well.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:59 pm

Ninjas wrote:Here is a main-gauche (literally "left hand") for Overgrowth. This kind of dagger is used mostly defensively.

I will add some more stuff up here as a make it.
nooo nono
the tip, is far too long for its width; I make real knives and I know that that would not survive a knock. Maybe if it was made with modern steels... maybe.
but this is no modern technology scene, I doubt they would have high tech steels.
did you work of references or draw one yourself?
the handle and the graphic on the blade is incredible and I love it. but the blade seems so impractical D:

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:04 pm

If you do a Google Image search for 'main gauche' you will find real medieval/renaissance daggers invented for the same general purpose, and they are mostly longer and thinner than this one.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:16 pm

Ahh, I see how that works now. Catch the enemy's weapon on the blade below the hook, then pull; that makes sense. I was thinking of a weapon intended to make blocking easier, while this has more of a focus on disarming.

Do realize that if you shove the blade in far enough for the hook to come into play, then a) retrieving the weapon might prove tricky, and b) the hook's not going to make much of a difference in your opponent's survivability. :) But with the added information that this is a weapon for an extravagantly brutal race, much is explained. The hook affords certain possibilities for "playing" with your opponents, for example, which I don't feel the need to explicate.

I still think there's some concern about the handle becoming slippery. Perhaps if the ivory was carved?

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:24 pm

Dude, you realize this is just a first rendering right? My guess is later iterations of the models that make it into the actual game will look different, i.e the handles will be carved, and design will be changed. Besides, with something like this it looks more like a show weapon that nobles would carry to show off, but never use, what with what looks like a jewel incrusted handle.

I recently came back from Germany and while I was there I saw a museum full of showy weapons that probably never saw the light of day on the battlefield, and they all had stuff like jewels and gold in them, stuff that was too expensive to risk and would probably break in a fight anyway.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Of course it's the first version (that Ninjas has shown us, anyway). That means this is the ideal time to suggest improvements! As long as a given image isn't declared final, I assume that it's open season for constructive criticism, and I'll provide as much as I can think of. Ninjas is free to accept or reject my suggestions, but if I can help, by all means I'm going to.

Plus, constructive criticism is helpful to me as an artist as well. It's easy to become stagnant if you never really examine other peoples' work.

My suggestions on the grip are predicated on the assumption that this is a weapon that'd actually get used, even though it's obviously also an expensive, showy weapon. If it really is just a show piece, though, then of course any concerns about the feasibility of the grip are irrelevant.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It is really appreciated! I think you are right about the handle. This is probably going to end up being an "extra fancy" version of this type of knife. I was thinking of doing a version with deep scrimshaw in the handle to make it easier to grip.

@ Mike:
It is hard to see in this render, but the tip is actually pretty thick, it is like a 3 sided pyramid and you can only see the top here. Also, the steel in Overgrowth is pretty much like modern steel.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:33 pm

We are also going to iterate on these weapons constructively rather than repeatedly overwriting them. That is, this particular weapon will probably be a finished one in the game, even though its owner may regret commissioning an ivory handle when it slips through his fingers in a fight! There will probably be similar left-handed parrying daggers that are more (or less) practical as well.

mphasis

MATCHING SHEATH!

Post by mphasis » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:03 am

Matching Sheath please.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:17 am

This has got me wondering about styles and techniques.

If you end up making any use at all of hard armours I beg for the half-swording technique. Its extremely useful defensively anyway, but it makes longswords and the stiffer-bladed bastard sword and estoc much easier to punch through a weak plate or joint.

Half-swording also lets you quickly change the reach and aspect of your weapon (for example - changing to the murder-stroke where you clasp the blade and use the guard as a hammer-head for attacking an armoured opponents head).

Interested to see what you come up with next.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:20 am

David wrote:There will probably be similar left-handed parrying daggers that are more (or less) practical as well.
Ooh, I wonder if the jitte will make an appearance. One of my favourite off-hand disarming weapons. ^^

vvi77iam

Post by vvi77iam » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:44 pm

The cats are as vicious as they are extravagant, so this design expresses their character very well.[/quote]

another new race? neat or does every one else no this already, cause it seemed like u all dident care when u heard this news.