Piracy/Copy protection

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Chainsaw man

Re: Piracy/Copy protection

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:01 am

Knowing me at this moment of time, im not gonna bother with Online content as my Connection is usualy very bad, and I have been Using many compuers from time to timein diferent places. Im good with anything, just so long as I dont have to Deal with what I would have to if I bought C&C RA3.
Wikipedia on RA3's SecuROM controversy wrote: Executive Producer Chris Corry has stated that Red Alert 3 will come bundled with the controversial[29][30][31] SecuROM software. The game will have to be activated the first time online, but can be installed and played on up to five computers (but you can not play on LAN with one serial) [32]. After the fifth installation, consumers will be required to contact EA Customer Service for every additional activation. He has also stated that uninstalling the game will not return the used installation back to the user [33].

EA's rationale for the continued use of SecuROM in their products is "Digital Rights Management", yet the EA title to have featured the most severe SecuROM protection to date, the 2008 game Spore, was on September 13, 2008 announced to be the most pirated video game ever, with over half a million illegal downloads within the first week of its release.[34] In the aftermath of Spore's SecuROM controversy, there was an outcry amongst some circles of customers who began threatening to boycott Red Alert 3 if this game was bundled with such "digital rights management" mechanisms as well.

In response, EA announced that in Red Alert 3 the installation limit would be increased from 3 to 5 installations per machine. Many customers remained unsatisfied, stating that for all intents and purposes they will be "renting" the game from EA at full price