Mod title bar UI

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Mod title bar UI

Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi there,

Here's the new design for the title bar at the top of mods (so you can get back to overgrowth easily).

As usual, please try this in Safari, in order to see the shadows, animation, and other effects.

http://www.wolfire.com/ui/modtitlebar/title.html

marmorek

Re: Mod title bar UI

Post by marmorek » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:27 pm

No, not the whale-man!!! :o

tekn04

Post by tekn04 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:57 pm

Looks awesome, two thumbs up here

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:10 am

I wanna click the info button. :D

Awesome. Shiny-like. I wonder what the rest's gonna be like.

Oh, and what's the white square?

tekn04

Post by tekn04 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:34 am

Nuky wrote:Oh, and what's the white square?
Probably an icon of some kind...

Vrav

Post by Vrav » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:18 am

This is neat. So these sort of UI elements are easy to add, and skinnable, everything? I think I may start studying WebKit in order to get a headstart on working with it in the game. CSS and Javascript to mod a game... who would have expected.

I do have a question regarding this small bar on the top. Supposing I don't like it, is it possible to override it with a mod and make it smaller/less intrusive? I would assume so, but if it's forcing itself into visibility in order to allow the user to return to Overgrowth, I'm not so sure.

It's true that allowing a mod such power over the UI is somewhat dangerous; there always needs to be a way for the user to back out, I guess.

Edit: Nevermind actually, I just realized on all the other examples the 'return to overgrowth' bar autohides itself on the top of the screen, which is totally cool.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:47 pm

That looks awesome 8)

There are two things, however; on larger monitors, there's a bit of a line separating the sky and the cliffside, and above the cliffside, the 'blank' sky is 2% lighter saturation in HSB.

Second, the cloud over on the right is cut off abruptly by the divider between the cliffside and the blank sky; perhaps if the dividing line is taken out and the colors made exactly the same, the cloud could be a bit taller, seamlessly disappearing into the blank sky.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys - I am working on some other mod UI that is a lot more intricate than this one right now. :) Should have it up later today.

Vrav, yup that's the idea - with WebKit, you can make any kind of widget you want. An inventory screen, a tournament ladder, a store front UI, or whatever you want. I highly recommend getting a head start.