Suggestions

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Dehlord

Suggestions

Post by Dehlord » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:46 pm

I've seen a bunch of people making suggestions, so i guess i might as well make one.

1. Cats should be able to jump higher. Cats can jump really high, as a cat owner myself, i can indeed confirm this. My cat once jumped onto a stool, and then onto a 10 foot high closet that i hold all my coats and shoes in. The stool was pretty small too, about the size of a small chair.

2. Lethal stealth kill while unarmed. Snapping someone's neck would be easy if you had them in a choke hold, all it takes is a simple twist and upwards point, and they have a broken neck. I'd suggest having it as the same controls for the attack with a weapon, Right Click + Left Click

3. More in depth wounds. I'd suggest that an enemy will get bruised when you hit them with a staff or some other blunt weapon, and if they get slashed with a knife or sword, then some of that part of the body will separate, like a box getting cut open, it can go outwards. And another thing, if you happen to hit an artery or something, it will squirt blood just like the neck does, but not as hard as the neck.

4. An improved arena mode. (Probably after release) We need the ability to equip armor and such, kind of like every round we win, we get currency that we can use to buy new armor or improve melee damage with special gloves or something. We also need a character editor, if we wanna be Tall rabbits or small rabbits, or even slim rabbits or wide rabbits, then let us do that.

5. An open city hub. While it's probably not one of your main goals, we need a place to calm down and run around climbing up buildings for. Possibly have Guild HQ's that change your clothing style depending on which one you're in. There could even be a training place so you can get better. Or perhaps you can go to the city and choose the missions that you're going to play, or side jobs for the currency that might be in arena mode.

None of these are super important or anything, but they would be pretty cool to see in the game before or after release.

merlyn

Re: Suggestions

Post by merlyn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Dehlord wrote:I've seen a bunch of people making suggestions, so i guess i might as well make one.

1. Cats should be able to jump higher. Cats can jump really high, as a cat owner myself, i can indeed confirm this. My cat once jumped onto a stool, and then onto a 10 foot high closet that i hold all my coats and shoes in. The stool was pretty small too, about the size of a small chair.

2. Lethal stealth kill while unarmed. Snapping someone's neck would be easy if you had them in a choke hold, all it takes is a simple twist and upwards point, and they have a broken neck. I'd suggest having it as the same controls for the attack with a weapon, Right Click + Left Click

3. More in depth wounds. I'd suggest that an enemy will get bruised when you hit them with a staff or some other blunt weapon, and if they get slashed with a knife or sword, then some of that part of the body will separate, like a box getting cut open, it can go outwards. And another thing, if you happen to hit an artery or something, it will squirt blood just like the neck does, but not as hard as the neck.

4. An improved arena mode. (Probably after release) We need the ability to equip armor and such, kind of like every round we win, we get currency that we can use to buy new armor or improve melee damage with special gloves or something. We also need a character editor, if we wanna be Tall rabbits or small rabbits, or even slim rabbits or wide rabbits, then let us do that.

5. An open city hub. While it's probably not one of your main goals, we need a place to calm down and run around climbing up buildings for. Possibly have Guild HQ's that change your clothing style depending on which one you're in. There could even be a training place so you can get better. Or perhaps you can go to the city and choose the missions that you're going to play, or side jobs for the currency that might be in arena mode.

None of these are super important or anything, but they would be pretty cool to see in the game before or after release.
Thanks for the suggestions.

We are focusing on finishing up the Overgrowth campaign before we release from early access. We won't be doing any augmentations to the arena game mode before we are done with that.

There are some modders who have expressed interest in building things similar to #4 and #5.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Re: Suggestions

Post by halzoid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:46 pm

The game will need major optimisation for AI if you want to achieve an open hub, or some modder has to do some clever trickery with randomly spawning and deleting AI when entering areas (which could be done with the checkpoint system).
I've dabbled with open world levels and high character amounts on screen

Open worlds like this level (I've highlighted the edge of the map and scale of the character) run quite well without characters or objects, but quickly begin to drop frames once those things are added

Alternately, dense crowds like this, really lower frames with active AI, I had to do some tricks to keep this level at 60.
I began work on an Assassin's Creed inspired level in which playing as an assassin you must take out your target, while being able to hide in groups of characters, bales of hay, rooftop gardens and more.
thing is, I spawned about 8 characters and realised my mistake so almost all characters in the groups are static objects (except for the Assassin, who's hidden in that image somewhere).