When will Overgrowth 1.1 arrive at Humble?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Vangrew

When will Overgrowth 1.1 arrive at Humble?

Post by Vangrew » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Hello,

Overgrowth 1.1 isn't in my Humble library yet. When will it arrive?

edit: I mean the Linux version.

Best regards
Vangrew

merlyn

Re: When will Overgrowth 1.1 arrive at Humble?

Post by merlyn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:23 pm

We had serious problems with the build system, and were rushing to get the new version up for the Steam winter sale. We decided to get that in place first, and then concentrate on the HB version.

We'll definitely get that in place some time next week for sure, if not earlier. Once I have access to the zips, I'll get them uploaded.

Vangrew

Post by Vangrew » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:27 am

Thanks for the reply. I can understand that you'll want to feed the bigger fish in the pond first, as long as we little fish don't get forgotten. It would be nice if you'd note such things in your announcements so that we don't have to check it (unsuccessfully) for ourselves.

Happy holidays and thanks for this gem of a game
Vangrew

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:53 am

Alright, the 1.1 build has some additional problems we found that cause problems for a lot of people (a "shader error" on level load). So far, I think people with Linux and Mesa drivers, and people with Windows or Mac + Intel GPUs who are seeing the problem. People on Windows + nVidia and possibly Windows + AMD don't seem to have the problem. Not sure about Linux + Binary drivers.

We would like to get these sorted out before uploading the build to Humble Bundle. So it's going to take an extra couple of days to do that. Once we have a fully working build that doesn't have this bug, I will rush to get it up on HB. Sorry again about the wait.

You can still register the game on Steam and use the 1.1 build now, but be warned that it might cause you problems if you're using one of the affected computers listed above.

See this post for the morbid details, and a work-around if you're using the Steam version and are seeing this error (basically rolling back to 1.0.6): http://steamcommunity.com/app/25000/dis ... 5884572160

Vangrew

Post by Vangrew » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:13 am

Thanks for the update. I understand that you don't want to upload a buggy version to Humble (although your link suggests that you left this version on Steam). How about putting the current version here on the forums so that at least the registered preorderers can test it if they want? It may give you more insight into the problem.

For example, I could test it with my Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit and the proprietary Nvidia driver 340.102 as well as the Mesa driver 10.1.3 on my Hybrid Nvidia/Intel cpu.

Just a thought. :)

edit: Steam isn't an option for me because I don't use it. I bought Overgrowth on Humble because I don't like DRM or market-dominating platforms.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Vangrew wrote:edit: Steam isn't an option for me because I don't use it. I bought Overgrowth on Humble because I don't like DRM or market-dominating platforms.
Totally understand. We don't like Steam that much either, it's just reality right now if we want to make games for a living, and want your studio to survive so you can make more than one game :)
Vangrew wrote:your link suggests that you left this version on Steam
Yeah. It's our holiday patch, and there's a holiday sale going on, and people with Windows + nVidia/AMD seems to not have problems, so it makes sense to leave that version up there right now.
Vangrew wrote:How about putting the current version here on the forums so that at least the registered preorderers can test it if they want? It may give you more insight into the problem.

For example, I could test it with my Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit and the proprietary Nvidia driver 340.102 as well as the Mesa driver 10.1.3 on my Hybrid Nvidia/Intel cpu.

Just a thought. :)
If you want to test out for us, that would be a ton of help. Thanks for the offer! :)

Max will be up in some hours, and hopefully we can work on this bug then and get a build out soon.

Putting up a new build on HB takes much more effort than I want it to right now. I might bug Max about trying to get this fixed after we all get back from holiday (and I might actually allocate him the time to take care of it, too).

Vangrew

Post by Vangrew » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:09 am

You have my sympathies for the trouble over the holidays. I wish you success as soon as posssible, and I'll test any build that appears here or on Humble. I'll be travelling for the next few days, but I'll have my hybrid gpu laptop with me, and hopefully fast enough internet, too.

P.S.: And thanks for your refreshing honesty about Steam. :)