The Bugs Thread

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Viking Zippy
Wooter

The Bugs Thread

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Post all the bugs you find in the Overgrowth alpha here, and this post will be edited to compile all of them in one place. Be sure to specify what OS and setup you're using (OS, computer, processor, RAM, and graphics card), so the bugs can be tracked down and squashed.

Repeat bugs in XP:
  • Logitech SetPoint interferes with Overgrowth's launch (Nuky and whiterabbit, Windows XP)
  • When Overgrowth is run with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600, the following error comes up: "OpenGL error On line 296 of textures.cpp: invalid enumerant", though this can be fixed by removing the Omega driver and installing the latest drivers.
Repeat bugs in Mac OS 10.5.5:
  • Can't run fullscreen, though this can be fixed by changing the multisample to 0. (Mango and Viking Zippy)
  • Ground can end up all black, though authload fixes this. (Madd and Viking Zippy)

Glabbit - Mac OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro, 2 x 2.66 GHz Intel Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 5 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT.
  • At an uncertain point, the mouse stopped turning the camera. I could click, drag, but the camera wouldn't move. Unknown cause.
  • After quitting and reopening, it asked me for my auth code again. Is it supposed to do thing every time you open it?
  • Another uncertain point. Camera still works, but I am unable to enter text into the console. Unknown cause, again. When in the console, pressing P still toggles shaders. huh.

HappyBunny - Vista Home Premium, Intel Core2 duo T7250, 2.00 GHz , Mobility radeon x2300HD, 2GB ram.
  • I too have some problems with shaders

Well most likely it's my graphics card that has problems with shaders but here are pictures anyway

Image Image Image

Madd the Sane - Mac OS 10.5.5, Mac mini, Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GB RAM, Intel GMA950.
  • At times, the program doesn't load the ground texture, making the ground look black.
  • Clicking and dragging doesn't seem to work as it should. It only seems to move a little bit.
  • Shaders seem to drag the framerate down to the single digits. I think the OpenGL engine is using the software renderer because the Integrated Graphics doesn't support shaders.

Mango - Mac OS 10.5.5, iMac 2.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD2600.
  • Can't run fullscreen; an error comes up with "Error: Video mode set failed: Failed creating OpenGL pixel format", but I managed to get around it by changing the config.txt line "multisample 4" to "multisample 0". It'd still be nice if we're able to get multisampling, but this helps with fullscreen for now.

marmorek - Mac OS X 10.5.5 Aluminum iMac 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 300 GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD2600 with 256 MB VRAM.
  • Have to authorize email every time I launch the app.
  • I can't type anything in the console once I'm inside the game
  • Can sometimes see through ground, mainly the steeper slopes
  • Scale tool is sometimes extremely sensitive, making objects paper-thin
  • Weird clipping effect when viewing objects that intersect with ground level from a high altitude.

namuol - Windows XP, Radeon 9700 (R300) 128 MB
  • A visual bug occurs, whenever shaders are enabled:

A top-down view reveals a skybox-like shape to this texture:
  • I've also noticed a similar pattern (perhaps it's the same texture?) if I move close enough to the boulder:
Here's my config file:

Code: Select all

screenwidth 800
screenheight 600
fullscreen 0
vsync 0
multisample 4
anisotropy 4
post_effects 0
shaders 1
bindkey quit esc
bindkey slow tab
bindkey fast \
bindkey crouch lshift
bindkey jump space
bindkey console `
bindkey left a
bindkey right d
bindkey up w
bindkey down s
authload
[/list]

Nuky - Windows XP Professional SP 3, Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz (clocked to 3.15), 2 GB RAM, nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB, Audigy 2 Zs.
  • Logitech's setpoint interferes with OG's launch, making it appear like nothing happens. And nothing does happen.

Sargon - Windows XP, 2.8 GHz (single core), 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9600.
  • I run overgrowth and get the following error:
    "OpenGL error
    On line 296 of textures.cpp:
    invalid enumerant"
It is possible I just need to install openGL... but I wanted to tell you about this error anyway.

THeFooJoo - Windows XP Home Edition SP3 32-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo Allendale 34500, nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT, latest drivers
  • Enabling post_effects cuts the framerate in half (250 to 170). Not really sure why, because it doesn't do anything.
  • Running fullscreen with Vsync and postprocessing enabled, I alt-tabbed out and modified "post.frag". When I clicked on it, it fired a windows error dialog, giving me a shader error. Unfortunately, I couldn't see it with OG maximized, and it hung until I ctrl-alt-del'd out, and was THEN able to see the error message. I clicked OK, and was greeted by another dialog box, saying there was an error on line 389 of graphics.cpp, and crashed. It'd be nice if 1) the GLSL errors happened INSIDE the Phoenix UI, and 2) there was some sort of fallback shader while the person fixed their errors.
  • The sampler2DRect used in "post.frag" wants the extension "GL_ARB_texture_rectangle" to be explicitly enabled (it gave me a GLSL warning when I recompiled). This might not be compatible with earlier version of GLSL
  • The engine takes about 15 seconds to respond after alt-tabbing back into it, even when nothing is changed.
  • Hitting TAB to slow down camera movement also causes the mouse cursor to update less frequently, which makes it skip.

VerdantPlanes - Intel Mac OS 10.4.1
  • Whenever I use the arrow keys to scale an object and then double click to deselect the object it sort of goes wonky and spreads out across the screen. Not sure how to describe it. It doesn't stay the size that I scaled it to after I double click though.

Viking Zippy - Mac OS 10.5.5, MacBook, 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM.
  • Can't run fullscreen; an error comes up with "Error: Video mode set failed: Failed creating OpenGL pixel format."
  • Shaders cause everything to go black and an FPS of 4-9.
  • Crashes after running for so long.
  • After a bit of squishing and mashing, the boulder goes completely and irretrievably flat.
  • Everything in the near distance is black 4 out of 5 launches of the alpha, even if shaders are off. However, authload seems to help with this.
  • No toolbar.

Vrav
  • When using the arrow keys to rotate, translate or scale something, the mouse is deactivated and the only way to re-enable mouselook &c is to click the object you're affecting - however, after moving the mouse while in arrow-key-manipulation, the click on the object applies a screenspace movement of the object based on how far you had moved the mouse from its original position when first pressing an arrow key. That sounds really convoluted, but the effect is obvious and predictable. Not sure if it is intentional.
  • Another issue is that alternative keyboard layouts do not work. Everything is reverted to the default qwerty layout, making console command entry challenging for those who do not use it.

whiterabbit - Windows XP Home, Quad 2.67 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4800
  • Getting the same interference from the logitec setpoint application.
  • the "load" button is clickable which brings up the load menu however loading a OBJ shoots the error "Model name not found. Aborting load."
  • scaling objects with the mouse is increadably sensitive and caused an immediate crash, I assume when the object was scaled into negative values.

zamzx zik - Windows XP in Parallels, Mac mini, 1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo, 2 GB RAM, GMA950.
  • After installing .net2.0 OG gives the "application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."
Last edited by Viking Zippy on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Re: The Bugs Thread

Post by Nuky » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:31 pm

A nasty one from Windows (sorry for intruding; feel free to remove):
* Logitech's setpoint interferes with OG's launch, making it appear like nothing happens. And nothing does happen. This have happened for at least three and counting people.
Last edited by Nuky on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:39 pm

No worries, the whole purpose of this thread is for people to post bugs, and I'll compile them back into the first post :)

THeFooJoo

Post by THeFooJoo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:49 pm

XP Home Edition SP3 32-bit
nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT, latest drivers

- Enabling post_effects cuts the framerate in half (250 to 170). Not really sure why, because it doesn't do anything.
- Running fullscreen with Vsync and postprocessing enabled, I alt-tabbed out and modified "post.frag". When I clicked on it, it fired a windows error dialog, giving me a shader error. Unfortunately, I couldn't see it with OG maximized, and it hung until I ctrl-alt-del'd out, and was THEN able to see the error message. I clicked OK, and was greeted by another dialog box, saying there was an error on line 389 of graphics.cpp, and crashed. It'd be nice if 1) the GLSL errors happened INSIDE the Phoenix UI, and 2) there was some sort of fallback shader while the person fixed their errors.
- The sampler2DRect used in "post.frag" wants the extension "GL_ARB_texture_rectangle" to be explicitly enabled (it gave me a GLSL warning when I recompiled). This might not be compatible with earlier versions of GLSL
- The engine takes about 15 seconds to respond after alt-tabbing back into it, even when nothing is changed.
Last edited by THeFooJoo on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:40 pm

- Authorization fails if the email is not properly capitalized.
Fixed

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:56 pm

After installing .net2.0 OG gives the "application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."
This is XP, under paralells.

Mac mini, 1 .5 intel core solo, 2gb ram, GMA950.

The mac version works fine.

THeFooJoo

Post by THeFooJoo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:36 pm

Hitting TAB to slow down camera movement also causes the mouse cursor to update less frequently, which makes it skip.

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Just so people won't ask me, I'm using an Intel Mac mini with a Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz and Intel Integrated graphics (Intel GMA 950 to be exact) with 1.5 GB of RAM. Mac OS X 10.5.5.
My bugs:
  • At times, the program doesn't load the ground texture, making the ground look black.
  • Clicking and dragging doesn't seem to work as it should. It only seems to move a little bit at a time.
  • Shaders seem to drag the framerate down to the single digits. I think the OpenGL engine is using the software renderer because the Integrated Graphics doesn't support shaders.
Last edited by Madd the Sane on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:50 pm

Updated the original post with Zam, FooJoo, and Madd's bugs.

Also, Madd and FooJoo, what are your CPUs, as well as your version of OS X Madd?

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:12 am

On an intel Mac OS X 10.4.1

Whenever I use the arrow keys to scale an object and then double click to deselect the object it sort of goes wonky and spreads out across the screen. Not sure how to describe it. It doesn't stay the size that I scaled it to after I double click though.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:32 am

Aluminum iMac 2.4 Ghz
2 GB RAM
300 GB Hard Drive
ATI Radeon HD2600 with 256 MB VRAM
Mac OS X 10.5.5

- Have to authorize email every time I launch the app.

- I can't type anything in the console once I'm inside the game

- Can sometimes see through ground, mainly the steeper slopes

- Scale tool is sometimes extremely sensitive, making objects paper-thin

- Weird clipping effect when viewing objects that intersect with ground level from a high altitude
Attachments
clipping effect (as seen on middle rock and lower block)
clipping effect (as seen on middle rock and lower block)
Picture 1.png (43.31 KiB) Viewed 6342 times

namuol

Post by namuol » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:46 am

A visual bug occurs, whenever shaders are enabled:

A top-down view reveals a skybox-like shape to this texture:

I've also noticed a similar pattern (perhaps it's the same texture?) if I move close enough to the boulder:

This blocky texture appears most vividly the further away it is, and seems to be aligned with the skybox.

Specs:
Radeon 9700 (R300) 128 MB
Abit NF7 - nForce2 Ultra 400 R.C1
Athlon XP 2800+ (2 GHz)
1 gig DDR

Here's my config file:

Code: Select all

screenwidth 800
screenheight 600
fullscreen 0
vsync 0
multisample 4
anisotropy 4
post_effects 0
shaders 1
bindkey quit esc
bindkey slow tab
bindkey fast \
bindkey crouch lshift
bindkey jump space
bindkey console `
bindkey left a
bindkey right d
bindkey up w
bindkey down s
authload

Vrav

Post by Vrav » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:45 am

When using the arrow keys to rotate, translate or scale something, the mouse is deactivated and the only way to re-enable mouselook &c is to click the object you're affecting - however, after moving the mouse while in arrow-key-manipulation, the click on the object applies a screenspace movement of the object based on how far you had moved the mouse from its original position when first pressing an arrow key. That sounds really convoluted, but the effect is obvious and predictable. Not sure if it is intentional.

Another issue is that alternative keyboard layouts do not work. Everything is reverted to the default qwerty layout, making console command entry challenging for those who do not use it.

These bugs aren't really hardware related and they each have a workaround, but just in case I am asked later:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Nvidia 8600GT
2GB RAM
XP Pro
Last edited by Vrav on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:16 am

I'd like to confirm what Vrav said- this happens on my setup under os X too.

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:18 am

Windows XP home, quad 2.67ghz, ATI radeon HD 4800.

-Getting the same interference from the logitec setpoint application.

-the "load" button is clickable which brings up the load menu however loading a OBJ shoots the error "Model name not found. Aborting load."

-scaling objects with the mouse is increadably sensitive and caused an immediate crash, I assume when the object was scaled into negative values.