Inventory System In OG

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

RPG style inventory or in-the-engine swapping of weps?

RPG Inventory ftw
13%
Equip Weapons like in real life!
87%

Total votes: 150

TheBigCheese

Re: Inventory System In OG

Post by TheBigCheese » Sat May 16, 2009 9:19 pm

I think 1,2,3 would be fine, designating different weapons types.

1 would swap through the light-weight weapons like knives and daggers.
2 would be medium like staffs and smaller swords.
3 would circle through heavy weapons such as hammers and large swords (if more than one can be held).

As long as the keys don't go further than 3, it wouldn't break anything.

In general more keys are going to be a necessity because the game is going to be bigger than Lugaru. Saying that using the 1-3 keys would be over-complicated is stupid. It's easily reachable, and you barely have to move your finger.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 17, 2009 2:20 am

At the moment we have been told next to nothing regarding the plans for Overgrowth's inventory system. We really need to know more before we embark on all this speculative twittering.

Suggested reading:
David on inventory.
Jeff on inventory.

Note that all but two of those posts are quite old.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 17, 2009 8:08 am

Glabbit wrote:That's right. And?
I think Wilbefast was agreeing with us, buddy.
Ozymandias wrote:So you want to have to cycle through all of your weapons instead of taking it out immediately. I don't think it would kill the game just to make use of the number keys. They are literally right above WSAD.
That's the point. You won't have 10 weapons. So "all of your weapons" will be a couple of weapons. lol?
Zhukov wrote:Note that all but two of those posts are quite old.
Yeah I was about to say that, and then I realised you said it yourself. lol. I can't be sure but I assume that the guys' views on the matter has evolved from what it was back in 2007 or so. David in particular hasn't actually said anything about the inventory since the real development started for Overgrowth.

Still though, I don't understand the people in this thread wanting to ignore the things that gave Lugaru its appeal. Choosing which weapons to pick up in Lugaru was actually part of the fun, having "Press this button to take out a sword" and "Press this button to take out a staff" would just be the same thing as every other game. Games like Jedi Academy, as some guy already said, used that kind of system. It was fine for Jedi Academy, but I don't want Overgrowth to be like Jedi Academy.

Sorry if I'm blatantly stepping on what people have said, I just don't understand why you would try to drastically change a system which wasn't broken. Minor tweaks or modifications are cool, but completely overhauling the weapon system would be a mistake.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun May 17, 2009 8:47 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Glabbit wrote:That's right. And?
I think Wilbefast was agreeing with us, buddy.
Orite. My bad.

...again.

tokage

Post by tokage » Sun May 17, 2009 9:27 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Still though, I don't understand the people in this thread wanting to ignore the things that gave Lugaru its appeal. Choosing which weapons to pick up in Lugaru was actually part of the fun, having "Press this button to take out a sword" and "Press this button to take out a staff" would just be the same thing as every other game. Games like Jedi Academy, as some guy already said, used that kind of system. It was fine for Jedi Academy, but I don't want Overgrowth to be like Jedi Academy.

Sorry if I'm blatantly stepping on what people have said, I just don't understand why you would try to drastically change a system which wasn't broken. Minor tweaks or modifications are cool, but completely overhauling the weapon system would be a mistake.
I think you are absolutely right, when you say Overgrowth shouldn't become a game where you can carry around an arsenal of 10 different weapons and just leasurely can get the right one out in one keypress. It should stop at two maybe three weapons.
But the problem with the Lugaru system of taking out weapons is, that it stops at two possible states. You could carry two weapons, but you couldn't fight bare handed with two weapons holstered. You could only pick one or the other.
You could implement a cycle between three states, but it is just unnatural to get your sword out first, put it back and then whip out the knife that you want to throw. That is why direct access over three keys would be the most natural solution for switching between more than two states.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun May 17, 2009 2:23 pm

tokage wrote:You could implement a cycle between three states, but it is just unnatural to get your sword out first, put it back and then whip out the knife that you want to throw. That is why direct access over three keys would be the most natural solution for switching between more than two states.
What about a ranged attack button, that automatically takes sheathed ranged weapons from your belt when necessary? No need to switch weapons before throwing.

tokage

Post by tokage » Sun May 17, 2009 3:00 pm

ehm, where is the difference? And besides it was an example, it's really the same, when you want to get a knife out or switch to bare handed or whatever.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 am

What about a ranged attack button, that automatically takes sheathed ranged weapons from your belt when necessary? No need to switch weapons before throwing.[/quote]
I like this idea. Although it's possible for Turner to be able to carry a sword on his belt, a warhammer on his back, a staff running the other way across his back, an offhand dagger on his right leg, a pouch of throwing knives across his shoulder, all you really need is a main weapon and a secondary weapon. The best thing in Halo was that you could only hold 2 weapons. It made combat more fluid since you only needed to press one button to switch weapons. In lugaru you only really needed two weapons too.

In Overgrowth, I think all you really need is two types of weapons. So you could carry two swords and be able to switch from single sword, to duel swords, or you could carry two swords and some knives so you could switch from duel swords to throwing knives, or one sword and some knives so you could switch from single sword to throwing knives. I think it would be alright to carry a bunch of weapons like throwing knives if you have a bandoleer or multiple swords (even three) as long as you have the appropriate belts and Turner switches from his swords to his other type of weapon like his throwing knife with just one key cycling between the two. So you'll either have two swords drawn, or you'll switch and have your knives drawn, but not switch from knifes, to this sword, to this other sword, to this other sword, to two swords, to these other two swords, to this other combination of swords, it should just be between 2 states, this type of weapon to this type. Even though Turner could technically carry more he should only be able to hold two types in combat to make weapon switching easy.

tokage

Post by tokage » Wed May 20, 2009 4:10 am

Zantalos wrote:In Overgrowth, I think all you really need is two types of weapons.
I said it earlier already, but perhaps you didn't read it. What about barehanded fighting? What if you want to carry weapons, but defeat a particular foe barehanded? With two weapons and barehanded you would have three states.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 am

A good way to do it:
One 'draw/holster' button. One 'switch weapon' button.
- When barehanded, press 'draw/holster' to equip your primary weapon.
- When barehanded, press 'switch weapon' to equip your secondary weapon.
- When armed, press 'switch weapon' to switch weapons (duh).
- When armed, press 'draw/holster' to return to return to barehanded state.

SImple, efficient and intuitive.

However, it wouldn't work with more then three weapons. At present, we do not know how many weapons Turner will be able to carry.
Basically, as I said earlier, the lack of 'official' information means that all the speculation and debate in this thread - including my own - amounts to background noise.

Zantalos
The Postman

Re:

Post by Zantalos » Wed May 20, 2009 11:18 am

Zhukov wrote:A good way to do it:
One 'draw/holster' button. One 'switch weapon' button.
- When barehanded, press 'draw/holster' to equip your primary weapon.
- When barehanded, press 'switch weapon' to equip your secondary weapon.
- When armed, press 'switch weapon' to switch weapons (duh).
- When armed, press 'draw/holster' to return to return to barehanded state.

SImple, efficient and intuitive.

However, it wouldn't work with more then three weapons. At present, we do not know how many weapons Turner will be able to carry.
Basically, as I said earlier, the lack of 'official' information means that all the speculation and debate in this thread - including my own - amounts to background noise.
I forgot about wanting to carry weapons as well as fight bare-handed. I figured you'd just drop your weapon and fight bare-handed then pick up your weapon when you're done, but that would limit things because you would either have multiple throwing knives equipped or multiple swords equipped and it would be difficult to drop each. You could just limit the weapons to one of each but in the concept art that rabbit looked really bad ass carrying two sets of swords.

So this holster idea would be a good idea.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu May 21, 2009 11:07 pm

that's basically my idea except I went into so much depth explaining it it looked complicated.

myfaceisblue

Post by myfaceisblue » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Makrond wrote:RE5 had a horrible inventory system. 12 boxes of shotgun ammo takes up the same amount of space as a single Green Herb? Also slots are terrible in general.

Anyway, going WAAAAAAAAAAY back to when L2 first got announced, Wolfire wanted to go with a physics-based system. Having seen the backpacks in game, I think it would work. Now, obviously you want to be carrying weapons on your person at all times, and maybe a couple of useful items on your belt as well.

However, a big part of the real-time physics-based inventory was making you have to make tough choices. Do you drop your bag when you see an enemy, and fight them with what you have? Do you stay a distance away, prepare for the fight by grabbing items out of your bag and dropping them on the ground, risking your enemy taking them as well? Do you fight them with your bag on and hope the encumbrance it causes doesn't leave you at a disadvantage? Do you retreat to pull out some more throwing knives or your backup dagger if your current weapon breaks, or do you continue fighting unarmed?

tl;dr: Physics-based inventory could be a good decision, because it encourages tactics. Also you can fit stuff in the same way you would in reality. The only con would be making a system that isn't too complicated.
What I meant was have a small screen select item but not pause the game. But there should be a faster way to switch weapons... Hence hotkeys were born Jedi Academy style - the tons of weapons carried at once. I think the diagram above that someone else posted would work

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:15 am

I can't think of a situation where I'd want more than a handful of weapons anyway. Sword + Dagger on belt plus a staff in my hands. That's about as many as I'd ever want at once.

Given that Overgrowth is leaning away from the original Lugaru 2 "open-world/RPG" design so far as we can tell, I'm expecting something alot simpler with plot mostly being controlled (assuming its branching at all) from results and potential dialogue choices.

I really don't think a complex inventory is going to be needed unless we actually need either some sort of resource management or item-based puzzle-solving.

A couple of small/medium weapons worn plus whatever we can hold is more than enough.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:01 am

I am still utterly mystified as to why anyone would want a physics-based inventory.