Alpha 3 Links!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ridestowe

Re: Alpha 3 Links!

Post by ridestowe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:12 am

i registered the alpha on my windows machine, and just tried to do the same on my macbook, but it keeps saying authentification failed. can i only try it on a single machine with my code?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:18 am

Make sure you don't have any weird firewall settings, and please double check that you are typing it in correctly.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:01 am

Jeff wrote:Make sure you don't have any weird firewall settings, and please double check that you are typing it in correctly.
His question was the only one worth answering?

Tosh

Post by Tosh » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:48 am

Skofo wrote:One thing I've noticed is how much the framerate drops when going up close to the tree. From my typical ~240 fps it dropped down to under 30 when viewing the tree from up close.
Just for the record, and I don't know if it's just that Skofo has a fairly powerful computer, but for me it's more like 70 fps, and then it drops to about 10fps when I'm very close to the tree. I just thought I'd mention it on the off chance that it doesn't resonate with the differences in hardware, as my laptop is reasonably good (2.2GHz core 2 duo T7500, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600 GT 512MB). Definitely nothing impressive, but it runs Crysis and UT3 okay on medium settings.

Probably is just valid hardware differences, but I thought it might be helpful to know if not.

ridestowe

Post by ridestowe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:47 am

Jeff wrote:Make sure you don't have any weird firewall settings, and please double check that you are typing it in correctly.
ok, yeah. sorry about that. it was my firewall acting up.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:23 pm

Skofo wrote:His question was the only one worth answering?
Sorry, I missed your questions. To answer your question about shadows: no, of course, we are not going to have a 5 minute shadow creation process at the start of every level in the actual game. :P

As mentioned, Linux is coming. Ryan Gordon is in 100% control of that, so I can't tell you when it will happen.

MightyWarriorEX

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:12 pm

So, this isn't working on my computer. "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Reinstalling didn't help. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

namuol

Post by namuol » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Skofo wrote:I did not realize that programming for Linux was so complicated.
It's not, but porting someone else's code can be very challenging on *any* platform.

I'll be patient for Overgrowth for Linux; I need a new computer before I can really enjoy the game anyway! ;)

Edit:
MightyWarriorEX wrote:So, this isn't working on my computer. "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
I have the same issue with the 2nd and 3rd alphas. Originally I had the same issue with the *first* alpha, but I reinstalled XP to fix that (I needed to do it anyway). I run a stripped down version of XP, which may or may not be the cause.