Will there be Audio/Taunts in OG?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Chainsaw man

Will there be Audio/Taunts in OG?

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:15 am

So, Audio Taunts? What you guys think?
I like the Audio taunt system as you can quickly press v and press a corresponding number.
If you have ever seen me type in CS wile trying to kill some one, you would most likely think I was trying to do txt Art of a monkey killing himself with a chainsaw, its not pretty.

I also like audio taunts as they add a bit of life to the a game.

There is nothing like a witty phrase played though your speaker that just gets on your nerves enough to get pay back.

Ozymandias

Re: Will there be Audio/Taunts in OG?

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:28 am

Wouldn't that require voice actors?

If anything it would be a bunch of chittering/barking and then some text.

Hazel-roo

Post by Hazel-roo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:05 am

Yes, taunts are awesome! I was thinking some kind of voice command system would be cool for team brawling so that in case someone is in distress or enjoying themselves they can yell out something. lol ;)

bigbutbald

Post by bigbutbald » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:11 am

I prefer the talk system found in Left 4 Dead.

Hold V, and flick mouse up, down or to the sides to choose taunt.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:48 am

bigbutbald wrote:I prefer the talk system found in Left 4 Dead.

Agreed.

- There should be a list of emotes that make text appear in chat box (as in WoW and other MMOs)
- Such emotes should be chooseable from list, or typed as a irc style command, . example:
* /wave, chat shows 'user' waves.
* /growl, chat shows 'user' growls.
* /dance, chats shows 'user' dances.
- Most frequently used emotes could automatically appear on a emote wheel as in L4D. wheel could change on mood. Examples:
* When in a fight it could mainly have taunts/shouts like /no, /die, /yell, /charge, /cover (if team play might be possible?)
* When not in fight/socializing/talking it could mainly have commands like /dance /wave /laugh /hug
* A customizable emote wheel could also be put together by the user.
- Most, if not all emotes should be linked with a custom animation, some with custom sounds as well. by sounds I mean general grunts/squeaks/growls, depending on race, not actual voice acting.
* Emotes could vary/be exclusive depending on race.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:05 am

Ozymandias wrote:Wouldn't that require voice actors?

I'm sure the Dev teams Voices are good enough. Hearing Jeffs voice on one of those Videos, I think He could Sound to be like one heck of a bad ass if he put more anger and rage into his voice.

For instance, Think of these phrases if they were to be said by Jeff.

-I'll Murder you and Burry you!
-Look what happen...
-M0therF0Cker!
-Pick Blade slinger stitching's!
-Get off me!
-Out of my way Sheep shagger!
-I'll take on all of you
-Yea! face down!
-Munch that grass like the Trash you are!

IDK, some off the bat without being a plagiarist

I'm also sure you could take an individuals voice and edit it to sound more primal and animal like, yet still keep the words to sound like English/American/Dutch/Thai/Japanese/whatever languages are available.

Also, if /Die is an animation emoticon that kills the player, it must have a dramatic animation, like sepuku, or self Tracheotomy, if your unarmed, it must have self strangulation as the last option.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:29 am

Chainsaw man wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:Wouldn't that require voice actors?
I'm sure the Dev teams Voices are good enough. Hearing Jeffs voice on one of those Videos, I think He could Sound to be like one heck of a bad ass if he put more anger and rage into his voice.

For instance, Think of these phrases if they were to be said by Jeff.

-I'll Murder you and Burry you!
-Look what happen...
-M0therF0Cker!
-Pick Blade slinger stitching's!
-Get off me!
-Out of my way Sheep shagger!
-I'll take on all of you
-Yea! face down!
-Munch that grass like the Trash you are!

IDK, some off the bat without being a plagiarist

I'm also sure you could take an individuals voice and edit it to sound more primal and animal like, yet still keep the words to sound like English/American/Dutch/Thai/Japanese/whatever languages are available.
I honestly don't think voicing characters would be worth it. even if you have a sound file for every emote, for every race, unlike L4D where the characters are set, they will be different characters of different genders, and so multiple voices would be required, which would be hundreds and hundreds of sound files that have to be voiced, not to mention it would take up alot of harddrive space.
Also, if /Die is an animation emoticon that kills the player, it must have a dramatic animation, like sepuku, or self Tracheotomy, if your unarmed, it must have self strangulation as the last option.
Haha, by /die I meant more like "now you die!", not a suicide move =P that should be reserved for the console.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:00 am

jo-shadow wrote:
bigbutbald wrote:I prefer the talk system found in Left 4 Dead.

Agreed.

- There should be a list of emotes that make text appear in chat box (as in WoW and other MMOs)
- Such emotes should be chooseable from list, or typed as a irc style command, . example:
* /wave, chat shows 'user' waves.
* /growl, chat shows 'user' growls.
* /dance, chats shows 'user' dances.
- Most frequently used emotes could automatically appear on a emote wheel as in L4D. wheel could change on mood. Examples:
* When in a fight it could mainly have taunts/shouts like /no, /die, /yell, /charge, /cover (if team play might be possible?)
* When not in fight/socializing/talking it could mainly have commands like /dance /wave /laugh /hug
* A customizable emote wheel could also be put together by the user.
- Most, if not all emotes should be linked with a custom animation, some with custom sounds as well. by sounds I mean general grunts/squeaks/growls, depending on race, not actual voice acting.
Ewww, we don't have to turn this into Second Life.

I agree that quick-chat commands are useful, though. It's generally much easier to press v and # to tell someone to follow you instead of typing it all out. The best thing would be to have a VoIP system implemented into the game such as Mumble, though. Will this game have that?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:14 am

Skofo wrote:
jo-shadow wrote:
bigbutbald wrote:I prefer the talk system found in Left 4 Dead

Ewww, we don't have to turn this into Second Life.
Haha, never played second life =P but you're probably right, I was just brainstorming.
bigbutbald wrote:I agree that quick-chat commands are useful, though. It's generally much easier to press v and # to tell someone to follow you instead of typing it all out. The best thing would be to have a VoIP system implemented into the game such as Mumble, though. Will this game have that?
Well, since Overgrowth will be available on steam, that means it will likely include steam's proprietary Steam Community Audio Chat system. I'm curious though what they will do about the macs, since steam is not available for mac =/

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:04 pm

I'm all in for the taunt and commands system, provided there will also be, next to the bigjob rambo imma-pwn-u-all taunts, some slightly more mature and/or caring messages?
This doesn't mean they're not allowed to be annoying though... :lol:

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Glabbit wrote:I'm all in for the taunt and commands system, provided there will also be, next to the bigjob rambo imma-pwn-u-all taunts, some slightly more mature and/or caring messages?
This doesn't mean they're not allowed to be annoying though... :lol:
Yeah, that's one of the benefits of having pre-programmed taunts/text. Another, even bigger benefits, which from what I've heard exists in other MMOs, is that it can be used for traversing the language barrier between users (For better or for worse)

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Well, since Overgrowth will be available on steam, that means it will likely include steam's proprietary Steam Community Audio Chat system.
Why would Overgrowth use Valve's VoIP system? Overgrowth isn't distributed solely via Steam, and more importantly, Overgrowth is cross-platform, while Steam is not. Implementing Mumble is a far more viable option.

I do not understand why anyone would think that it's "likely" that Wolfire would include anything that's Valve's inside Overgrowth. How many non-Valve games do you see on Steam with Valve's voice chat system, or anything else made by Valve? Steam is solely a distribution platform.

So I say no worries. I cannot speak for Wolfire, but I'm 99.9% sure that they won't add anything to their game that will (permanently) help one port and cripple all the others.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:02 pm

Skofo wrote:
Well, since Overgrowth will be available on steam, that means it will likely include steam's proprietary Steam Community Audio Chat system.
Why would Overgrowth use Valve's VoIP system? Overgrowth isn't distributed solely via Steam, and more importantly, Overgrowth is cross-platform, while Steam is not. Implementing Mumble is a far more viable option.

I do not understand why anyone would think that it's "likely" that Wolfire would include anything that's Valve's inside Overgrowth. How many non-Valve games do you see on Steam with Valve's voice chat system, or anything else made by Valve? Steam is solely a distribution platform.

So I say no worries. I cannot speak for Wolfire, but I'm 99.9% sure that they won't add anything to their game that will (permanently) help one port and cripple all the others.
Hmm, very true, however I think all games that you play through steam are at least capable of running the default steam overlay (default tab+shift), and in turn the voice, though I can't remember testing it on an indie game so I am only guessing...

but you're right, they'll find some way of doing it cross platform, or not at all.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Arnold quotes for OG!! Get your mother please! let me talk to your mother :D

Ignoramus

Post by Ignoramus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:49 am

voice chat would be okay through steam. but i'm gonna get really annoyed by the constant squeaking, chittering, and barking during the campaign dialogue like in lugaru 1. some voice acting, even if low budget, would sure as hell beat the animal noises. i'm sure you can find experienced voice actors that would pitch in 20 minutes or so of dialogue for a fair price if you looked. besides, aren't our pre-orders going to game improvement anyway?