Lugaru Phoenix engine project

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jendraz

Re: Lugaru Phoenix engine project

Post by Jendraz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Ltp0wer wrote:So, what do you have done so far?
He's got a point. You're not starting a project unless you're starting it. There are tons of threads in this forum like this :

"Ok, i have a sweet idea but don't know how to do anything, so I just need some people to help me".

And that's not really how creation works.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Alright then... tell me how to do it, Im all ears :|

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:12 pm

He is doing something, he's organizing the thing. Projects most often needs leaders. It can never be too early to start modding the game, just don't do anything really serious until you know they won't be making any changes to the map format or stuff like that. You can spend the time talking about the project and practicing using the engine, stuff like that. Why are people so pessimistic?

Would love helping, would be the perfect opportunity to learn this engine better, but I simply don't have enough time. Sorry!

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:07 pm

The Wolfire team have stressed (especially in the recent ModDB Development Banter) that modding is going to be an easy and enjoyable process. So hopefully we'll see a lot of cool stuff.
Anyways, to recreate the Lugaru campaign (and challenge levels?) in Overgrowth probably won't require any modelarz, skinnzers or haxx0rz, all the models you need will be available; rabbits, wolves, rock, vegetation, etc. (As someone already mentioned, I believe)
So really, all one would have to do is create the levels, which could be done by one motivated person. Though it could be a faster process if several people worked on different levels. I guess here is where the organization comes in, so there won't be any crazy discrepancies in style and quality.
"So uhm, didn't you interpret the white stuff in some of the levels as powdered marshmallows?"
"What? That doesn't even make sen-"
"SHUT UP I ATE YOUR DOG"

It could turn out pretty cool, if everything is upgraded to the style of Overgrowth, with proper buildings, rampant vegetation and so forth. (Though it'd probably be easier to be truer to Lugaru and just use a lot of blocks and rocks xP)
Anyway. I guess the planning of a mod could start whenever, but we can’t really do too much right now, (other than play around in the alpha) considering the early stage of production the game is in.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:30 am

Wow, this sounds great ---> joins teh mental support team, lol

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:29 pm

Silverfish wrote:Why are people so pessimistic?
Take a look at all the big projects in the forum. The only ones that were actually completed (Temple, Empire, Weapon Shop) were done by people who wanted to do them and did them. Not people that asked other people to do it for them.

I wish you all the best, but my advice is if you want to do something, do it. Noone's going to teach hard to learn skills over an online forum, it requires initiative on your part.

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:28 am

Silverfish wrote:He is doing something, he's organizing the thing. Projects most often needs leaders. It can never be too early to start modding the game, just don't do anything really serious until you know they won't be making any changes to the map format or stuff like that. You can spend the time talking about the project and practicing using the engine, stuff like that. Why are people so pessimistic?
I am not a pessimist. I am a realist. And, realisticly speaking, making a thread when we don't even have a controllable character about a mod that involves stepping back and remaking the previous game when we haven't the slightest ability to do so is a stupid move. There was no need for this thread, Expecially when there was already a topic discussing how lugaru could be put into overgrowth. I think that Chainsaw man just wanted "dibs" on calling this mod. Sure, I have idea for a kickass zombie mod that I plan on attempting, but am I going to make a damned thread? Not yet.

Jendraz wrote:Noone's going to teach hard to learn skills over an online forum, it requires initiative on your part.
This.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 am

Hey guys, if you want to get started, here's what you guys could do right now.

a) make a main menu in webkit
b) recreate the UI in campaign map in webkit, for example: http://www.wolfire.com/ui/modexample/modexample.html
c) recreate the challenge level UI in webkit
d) create a dialog UI in webkit that looks similar to the dialogs in Lugaru (bonus points for making a javascript API for it)
e) go through the Lugaru 1 campaign and extract all of the dialog into a text file for easy importing into the new engine

wait for further instructions :)

I'd like to tell you guys to just go ahead and use the map editor to recreate all the levels right now, but I can't guarantee that the format won't change, so at least wait until the blessed build.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks Jeff... I will make some atempts at the above. but in my owen time...
I think I agree with everyone, just do it. stop my jiba jabba and do it.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:45 am

Jeff wrote:Hey guys, if you want to get started, here's what you guys could do right now.

a) make a main menu in webkit
b) recreate the UI in campaign map in webkit, for example: http://www.wolfire.com/ui/modexample/modexample.html
c) recreate the challenge level UI in webkit
d) create a dialog UI in webkit that looks similar to the dialogs in Lugaru (bonus points for making a javascript API for it)
e) go through the Lugaru 1 campaign and extract all of the dialog into a text file for easy importing into the new engine

wait for further instructions :)

I'd like to tell you guys to just go ahead and use the map editor to recreate all the levels right now, but I can't guarantee that the format won't change, so at least wait until the blessed build.
These mod tools you guys are making look insanely powerful. I remember how many hours I spent hacking together a campaign in Lugaru only to give up. I'm definitely gonna be making some campaigns when OG comes out...I'll probably just use my old idea in the new engine.