.DS_Store file causing mod collisions on mac

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
samjb1992

.DS_Store file causing mod collisions on mac

Post by samjb1992 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:22 pm

hay guys does anyone know if there is a fix for mods conflicting due to the invisible files on mac called .DS_Store? I tried deleting them but when I open the fold they are in ever again the OS will just make a new one in side the folder again. any help would be great.

Silverfish

Re: .DS_Store file causing mod collisions on mac

Post by Silverfish » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:03 am

Can you give an example of two mods that conflict due to .DS_Store files so we can look into it?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:49 pm

.DS_Store files are an artifact that shows up automatically on macs when someone browses inside a folder.

Two ways this can show up:
1. You've been peeking inside mod folders in Finder
2. The person who created the mod used a mac, and failed to manually clear out these files before uploading the mod

In case #1, you can manually delete the .DS_Store files yourself
In case #2, you should ask the people who created the mod(s) to remove those .DS_Store files and re-upload the mod(s). Tell them about the conflict with the other mod, and they should be able to figure out the rest.

When reporting a problem with a Steam Workshop mod, please go to the thread for that specific mod (under the "Workshop" tab), and report the problem there.

If you got the file from here, then you can report it on the individual mod thread.

To work around this problem yourself:
1. Open the mod folders for the mods that are conflicting, using the terminal so that .DS_Store files aren't created again. Workshop mods are stored by default in

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/25000
2. In order to find the .DS_Store files, type this on the terminal (untested, and they're hidden files so it might not be this simple, but I think it might work):

find . -name .DS_Store
3. Delete the .DS_Store files in the terminal. Be careful when doing this, cause command line deletion tools aren't as forgiving as the Finder is.

Note: The files are going to differ per-mod, so I don't really have a way to write generic steps.

In the future we plan to filter out these files when uploading to Steam. We just haven't gotten around to that yet, because so few mac users are creating mods (yet).

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:36 pm

is there away I can prevent them from being made? most of these mods are my mods

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Tue May 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Google says:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
and reboot.