Why not battles ? ^^

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Nail

Re: Why not battles ? ^^

Post by Nail » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:45 pm

The setting is a defacto anarchy, so I doubt you'll be getting any backup.
Isn't Turner a ninja anyway?

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:17 am

Nail wrote:The setting is a defacto anarchy, so I doubt you'll be getting any backup.
Isn't Turner a ninja anyway?
Play Lugaru. Then ask questions.

Nail

Post by Nail » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:23 pm

The Wolfire team does refer to the characters as "ninja rabbits", so I'm going to go with yes.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:39 pm

I think they do :p

X-Site

Post by X-Site » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:31 am

In fact Ninja where not just working alone but in good organised groups of up to around 5 people. You would have to implement hand signs or so than. It would be really nice to have assassinations done not only alone but, with other you have to rely on and you have to give commands to.

Darwinian

Post by Darwinian » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Endoperez wrote:Why? It doesn't work like that in real life, and it would reward you for getting surrounded. And why would the game need a 360 kick any way? 180 kick I could see, but not much more. You are talking about the arc made by the leg, right?
right
irl does not apply to turner

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Darwinian wrote:right
irl does not apply to turner
True, but most of the moves should be possible in the real world, physics-wise at least.

I can't imagine being able to have enough momentum to hit more than on person with one roundhouse kick. Wouldn't your foot stop of the first guy?

Edit: I guess if you hit the head, maybe you could get two or three... still not 360.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:47 am

I always liked Jackie Chan's method of fighting. When fighting a lot of people at once, he never does 360 kicks and hits all five guys in front of him at once, he just kicks faster and blocks harder.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:57 am

TheBigCheese wrote:I can't imagine being able to have enough momentum to hit more than on person with one roundhouse kick. Wouldn't your foot stop of the first guy?
Not to be condescending, but I can't imagine having muscles capable of being able to jump 5 metres high either. Wouldn't you stop after about a metre?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:23 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
TheBigCheese wrote:I can't imagine being able to have enough momentum to hit more than on person with one roundhouse kick. Wouldn't your foot stop of the first guy?
Not to be condescending, but I can't imagine having muscles capable of being able to jump 5 metres high either. Wouldn't you stop after about a metre?

This isn't about strength, but about mass and acceleration and total amount of force. Think of Newton's Cradle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFNe_pFZrsA

A leg doesn't have enough mass to force its way through several opponents. You can kick one opponent into another, of course.

One against many should be based around moving around and away from the enemies, and using your environment so that only one or two enemies can get at you at any one time.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:19 am

Oh, yeah, I get what you mean, equal and opposite forces yada yada yada, you're right. lolphysics. I failed it.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:58 am

Well that's a first.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:22 am

An Irish person failing Physics? It's not a first, but it's pretty rare. lol

Darwinian

Post by Darwinian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:51 pm

lets just pretend its a rabbit perk shall we? you know.. them legs

mphasis

Post by mphasis » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:17 pm

AI is a hard thing to do as well though, it either needs to be really incredible ,in the case of storyline characters, or just not be the players problem(invincible allies, no mission criteria based on allies living or dying, no dragging AI with bad path finding around).
Turner is a bit of a loner and travels alone, but he could come across people that he could save that serve as temporary allies that he can protect or let die with different consequences. The main thing in these scenarios is that if the player has made the choice to save them(Run in close, started fighting) it should be hard for them to die, but if the player runs away (Goes a certain distance away or repeatedly attacks the friendly party) they should die easily. This means the player doesn't have to quicksave because something might go wrong like it does in other games.
Alyx from HL2:Ep 1 is a good example of AI that added to the game and didn't piss me off. I even enjoyed getting her stuck in things and then driving the buggy away as fast as possible and have her running after me(until she teleports into the passenger seat that is).

Also, the world of OG doesn't have to be anything like this world in terms of anything, including physics, it just has to be fun.