Ingame Music

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
jkreef

Ingame Music

Post by jkreef » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:41 pm

I was reading today's blog post about music and a few of the comments, specifically
Blog wrote: Nevero 9 hours ago
does it has to be orchestral music all the time? what about good ol' hardrock music or metal during
fights?
Zhukov 8 hours ago
Eww.
gave me an idea. Since we all like different types of music why not let us create our own soundtrack. It works well in arcade games that I've played, but for Overgrowth, if implemented, it would need to be much more complicated than a single "Custom Music" folder. It could work such that within the custom folder there would be various other folders such as "Combat", "Cities" or whatever other common situations the players might find themselves in. The players could then fill these folders with whatever type of music feels right for the situation. The options menu would have an area to specify whether or not to use custom music. If false than use Mikko's default music. If true use music from the custom music folder. Also, just in case someone wants to only sub for one situation, i.e. combat, make it so that if one of the sub-folders is empty, the game uses the default music for that situation.
How's that sound?

Skofo

Re: Ingame Music

Post by Skofo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Interesting. I'd never use it myself; I'd just use a media player so I wouldn't have to listen to a few songs over and over. But I'm sure it'd help some people.

jkreef

Post by jkreef » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Yeah, agreed. This system would let you adjust the mood of the music as the game went on though, that'd be the draw. I'm with you though, media player all the way.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Oh dear. If I had known I was going to be quoted, I would have said something a little more... eloquent.

Anyway, I have nothing in particular against hard rock or heavy metal. (Being tone deaf is like that.) It's just that they both would seem very anachronistic and out of place in Overgrowth.

Your idea sounds solid. I wouldn't use it, but I imagine others may well appreciate it.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:41 am

Zhukov is right. I think that Overgrowth's main battle song should be Euro-Trance.

tokage

Post by tokage » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:30 am

Before this escalates into a "my-music-taste-is-better"-battlefield, let's get back on track.
The idea is good, custimazable music is win, although I am sure that the default music will be more than good enough.
That said, I wouldn't worry about how to implement the stuff too much, because Overgrowth has an open approach to modding. Modding the music should therefore be possible and the best way to integrate customizable music would be as part of the mod system, I assume.
I wonder why noone else brought that up, because in other threads the mod system is almost whorshipped like a god(modding OG into an MMO?) and here, where it actually provides a simple solution, it is neglected.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:03 am

The sound track needs to be Effeil 65's "I'm blue"... Changed to "It's red"

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:19 pm

one thing I think would be interesting is if they created multiple default soundtracks and then you could choose one when you started, so there'd be choices like; Orchestrated, Techno, Rock, Metal, and other random stuff.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:41 am

As long as I can mute the in-game music and Command-Tab out of the game to iTunes, I'll be happy.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:40 am

Count Roland wrote:one thing I think would be interesting is if they created multiple default soundtracks and then you could choose one when you started, so there'd be choices like; Orchestrated, Techno, Rock, Metal, and other random stuff.
So... you think they should make 5+ soundtracks for one game?

Huh.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:47 am

They could give us an option so that we could use our own music, alongside overgrowth's own.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 am

tokage wrote:Before this escalates into a "my-music-taste-is-better"-battlefield, let's get back on track.
I don't think there was ever a danger of that happening.

I love rock and heavy metal music, but seriously it wouldn't suit the mood of Overgrowth. I loved the orchestral-style music in Lugaru, and I think Overgrowth should follow in a similar vein to that. The music I've heard from Mikko Tarmia so far has been fantastic. I think orchestral music is the ideal style for video games, as it can convey different moods and emotions without getting in the way of you playing the game.
Last edited by Renegade_Turner on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 am

Ac30 wrote:They could give us an option so that we could use our own music, alongside overgrowth's own.
Uhh... yeah... that's exactly what the original post suggests.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re:

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:21 am

Zhukov wrote:
Ac30 wrote:They could give us an option so that we could use our own music, alongside overgrowth's own.
Uhh... yeah... that's exactly what the original post suggests.
And the original post explained it better too. =|
Count Roland wrote:one thing I think would be interesting is if they created multiple default soundtracks and then you could choose one when you started, so there'd be choices like; Orchestrated, Techno, Rock, Metal, and other random stuff.
I think that would be a bit of a waste of time. Let's just let them focus on the orchestral music without having to hire 4 other bands. lol.

Untadaike

Re: Re:

Post by Untadaike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 pm

?!

Please no. I'd rather they spend their time animating blood dripping down fur and all that stuff, not making a music shuffle system where you can listen to all of Rob Zombie's hits while sneaking through a dog temple. Here it comes. lol.