How to address sexuality in overgrowth (video)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
zamzx zik

How to address sexuality in overgrowth (video)

Post by zamzx zik » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck14LKBI9GM

I think the wolfire team should take a que from this french commercial in handling the issues of anthropomorphic relationships. To summarize, I'd say they ignore the biological impossibilities of cross-speices and go for a more metaphoric representation, where each race represents more of a 'culture' then a species. Like redwall, where cross-species relationships are possible, the actual 'race' that comes out is just a representation of their culture.

tl, dr, the entire point of the text under the link was to get you to click the link.

Endoperez

Re: How to address sexuality in overgrowth (video)

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 pm

Blacksad comics would be a much better example of the idea.

Any way, I'm afraid this thread will contribute for few days and stay alive for several months. :(

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:33 am

That video is profoundly disturbing :?

I'm not big on sexuality in games - I've been playing Mass Effect, a game where you essentially have an ignorant psycho-bigot and a creepy hippy-nerd coming onto you and you're supposed to choose between them. The thought that kept popping into my mind was "Shouldn't they be more worried about the whole end-of-the-universe situation?" - it seems all told as if it was just added as an afterthought, to market it to guys even lonelier than me :|

A good video about all this - suprised it hasn't been mentioned yet: Video Games and Sex

The only game I know that's actually benefit from explicit sexuality would have to be "6 Days a Sacrifice", though a lot of Japanese games (no, not those Japanese games) are reasonable at telling romance stories. All these are scripted of course, and the player doesn't really own the character if he or she goes after people that they'd never be attracted to (like bigots or new-age wierdos).

If I don't reply it's because I'm on my way to Australia - 24 hours in a plane = JOY! :D

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:58 am

If you really were just trying to show off the video then you're wasting your time. Somebody else already posted it on this forum.

As for the actual subject, well... I guess it was bound to come up eventually. Again. And again.

I would personally love to see a game that managed to successfully include intimacy, sexuality, relationships and so forth in a mature and meaningful manner. However, for purely practical and mercantile reasons, I really do not think it should be this game.

Y'see, Overgrowth is already going to possess a distinct whiff of furry. Adding sexuality to the mix, in any capacity whatsoever, would only reinforce the potential for unprofitable misconceptions. A combination of anthropomorphism and sex is not what you want your product to be known for, especially if you're a little-known indie outfit looking to make your major industry debut.

I am not bashing furries here. I'll be the first to defend them as a generally misunderstood and entirely harmless lot, even if they are a bit odd. Unfortunately, the bare fact of the matter is that they are not well thought of. It is not a reputation you want to borrow.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 am

Didn't we do this already? You even posted in that topic. You even kind of made fun of it. Why this new one?
Even if anthropomorphic rabbits aren't realistic, the game still has a very strong basis in reality. Gravity exists, grass grows, sun shines. If you used the fact that the characters are anthropomorphic animals as an excuse to let them cross-breed, you could also use the same excuse to make all plants pink, the sun become a source of darkness and gravity become non-existent. But this game is still very realistic in almost every sense, so I don't think that the anthropomorphic quality of the animal characters is a valid excuse to let them cross-breed.

Also, all of the anthropomorphic animals are simply their animal selves, except with human qualities. This usually means that any quality that the characters have should be derived from either humans or the respective animal; you should not be able to just make up shit out of the blue. Humans, rabbits, dogs, cats, wolves, nor rats can breed with one another, so it should not be possible in this game.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:27 am

I think the definition of "species" would be helpful at this point...

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:37 am

I imagine that the common understanding is that the species being referred to here are rabbits, wolves, dogs, cats, rats and whales.

Nail

Post by Nail » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Overgrowth probably won't have many such relationships, so why did you even bring this up?

If anything, sexuality would deffer a larger audience.

Snipergen

Post by Snipergen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:26 pm

I agree this game doesn't need this. I almost had to laugh at that video too. I mean what does that even have to do with a drink. Damn furries!

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:27 pm

I am French, and I hate this video... I hate it ! :evil:
It is an advertising very uncalled-for I find, too mature and thus inappropriate on the chaines big. Later, it is one a very interesting anamorphosis of the animal.

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:07 pm

zamzx zik

Re:

Post by zamzx zik » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Zhukov wrote:If you really were just trying to show off the video then you're wasting your time. Somebody else already posted it on this forum.

yeah, I was :P

also, it was dumb anyway. Late-night posting hath struck again..

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:05 am

Skofo wrote:I imagine that the common understanding is that the species being referred to here are rabbits, wolves, dogs, cats, rats and whales.
He shoots! He misses!

I mean, does anyone know what "rhetorical question" means? I'm stumped...

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:06 am

a rhetorical question is a question not meant to be answered, for example a jet crashes into your next door neighbor's house and you ask "did you see that?" it's generally assumed that the answer is known to such questions.