Overgrowth - plagiarism?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Overgrowth - plagiarism?

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:58 pm

Calm down now, I'm not seriously suggesting that Wolfire are plagiarising anything, but I have found a game set in a similar post-apocalyptic world, where humanity has disappeared and humanoid animals are everywhere.
It's called Inherit the Earth. I stumbled across it while looking into SDL :?

Just thought it was an interesting find, what do you guys think :D

Endoperez

OG, full of plagiarism?

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:14 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5443

I expect it'll go something like this:
Blorx wrote:I wouldn't accuse Bethesda^B^B^B Wolfire of plagiarism. That's just idiotic. Everyone knows that Bethesda^B^B^B Wolfire are talented developers with amazing concepts of their own.
Timothy wrote:Well its basically the same premise gameplay^B^B^B setting wise. I can see where your coming from, but mimicing the gameplay^B^B^B setting of another game isn't that uncommon anymore. Basically note any fps game out now, tons of similarities amongst them.
Zhukov wrote:Video games borrow concepts and mechanics all the time. They also tend to adhere very closely to their chosen genres.

So it's basically meaningless to accuse any given game of plagiarism.

No offense meant to anyone I quoted, the similarities just happened to be quite obvious.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:34 pm

*shrug*

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Re: Overgrowth - plagiarism?

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:57 am

Endoperez wrote:I expect it'll go something like this
Lol - no it won't, because I'm not even being serious :lol: I'm being deliberately inflammatory here, that should be obvious. Seriously guys, actually read the post and don't bother building some great argument about plagiarism working differently in video games or whatever. This is simply a curiosity - I found it interesting so I figured I'd share it.

I highly doubt anyone from Wolfire has even so much as heard of the game, let alone taken ideas from it, but what it does show is that ideas are rarely as original as you think they may be - that's why all my super-secret-game-design-concepts keep being made into games, even though I've never told anyone about them :?

Nimai

Post by Nimai » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:13 am

according to Wilbefast and Pyrokwah's logic... Wilbefast is plagiarising Pyrokwah's post (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5443). And i am plagiarising Endoperez for using the link he posted in the first comment.. (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5443).

Dark

Post by Dark » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:29 am

well, the reason that there are rabbits in lugaru is because they couldn't model humans correctly (dunno the source anymore, but it has been said in a interview)
since OG is a sequel to lugaru; there have to be rabbits
=
coincidence, no one stole from anyone

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm

David doesn't like pitting the player against clearly human characters. I can't remember why, but I remember that. Which is the same reason the guy in Black Shades is a man made of cubes, or why SOS had robots, or why the guys in lightning's shadow wear cloaks that cover up their faces.

So yeah.

What you have to remember is that it has never been officially confirmed that humans used to exist at all in the Oververse (Goddamn I love that imaginary word) whereas in "Inherit the earth"... Well, it's called Inherit the earth, so yeah. The fact that there are humanoid animals in both is just plain coincidence, there have been humanoid animals in media/mythology probably before society itself existed.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Wilbefast wrote: - that's why all my super-secret-game-design-concepts keep being made into games, even though I've never told anyone about them :?
Ha ha! Yeah, WTH? I had this idea once when I was playing a lot of BattleZone in 1981 where instead of a tank you could run around in, like, a suit of powered mechanical armor shooting aliens or monsters that would pop out of doorways in a dungeon/spaceship/tunnels and check this out:
You would look out over your hands and your gun like you were looking out of your own eyes!!!!!
You could use the alien weapons, too, and drive their flying cars. And it would be totally awesome if you could fight other players, too, not just you against the computer game. But that might be totally impossible to do.

I never told anyone about any of that, but everyone said the console games were put there by the army to enlist kids or at least to harvest ideas through the tooth filling implants they made everyone get in those days.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:58 pm

invertin wrote:David doesn't like pitting the player against clearly human characters. I can't remember why, but I remember that. Which is the same reason the guy in Black Shades is a man made of cubes, or why SOS had robots, or why the guys in lightning's shadow wear cloaks that cover up their faces.

So yeah.

What you have to remember is that it has never been officially confirmed that humans used to exist at all in the Oververse (Goddamn I love that imaginary word) whereas in "Inherit the earth"... Well, it's called Inherit the earth, so yeah. The fact that there are humanoid animals in both is just plain coincidence, there have been humanoid animals in media/mythology probably before society itself existed.
mythology couldn't really have existed without society in one form or another, but that's beside the point. all I was gonna say is if I remember correctly david likes to pick things we really have no preconceptions of so that he can avoid the uncanny valley that most games fall into.

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:46 am

:shock: Arrrrgh!

Okay, I repent, never again will I post a thread with a title designed specifically to drum up controversy :(

(but how good was the mona-lisa cartoon - man I'm awesome!)
keehar wrote:
Wilbefast wrote: - that's why all my super-secret-game-design-concepts keep being made into games, even though I've never told anyone about them :?
Ha ha! Yeah, WTH? I had this idea once when I was playing a lot of BattleZone in 1981 where instead of a tank you could run around in, like, a suit of powered mechanical armor shooting aliens or monsters that would pop out of doorways in a dungeon/spaceship/tunnels and check this out:
You would look out over your hands and your gun like you were looking out of your own eyes!!!!!
You could use the alien weapons, too, and drive their flying cars. And it would be totally awesome if you could fight other players, too, not just you against the computer game. But that might be totally impossible to do.

I never told anyone about any of that, but everyone said the console games were put there by the army to enlist kids or at least to harvest ideas through the tooth filling implants they made everyone get in those days.
Do you ever get the feeling that this is all like an imaginary world, like the Matrix, and you're just being farmed for your ideas by big corporations? :shock:

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:31 pm

:lol: sometimes, yeah. I almost slipped up and called one of our regular crazy customers a "Bad Robot!" yesterday. Probably wouldn't have helped calm his ranting.

The Mona Lisa cartoon was pretty awesome.

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Only one thing to say: Gameplay is nowhere close to overgrowth. Only the "way" characters are represented.

Should we then say that every game with Ninjas are , well you know... copying each other?