Welcome Natural Selection 2 Members!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Hale

Welcome Natural Selection 2 Members!

Post by Hale » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:53 pm

I noticed the sudden swarm new users with only a few posts and somehow realized that quite a few of them could be from the whole Natural Selection 2 crowd, or just new preorderers due to that pack thing. Either way, I thought it'd be at least decent to let yourself introduce yourself here without all that other garb. Also, I theorized that you may have some questions, so I could point you in the right direction...

Firstly, in order to download the Weekly Alpha (which started around a year ago) you should look out every monday night for a topic much like this. This topic has links to download a Mac and Windows version of the Alpha. You'll need your Preorder key in order to download btw. Each Alpha averages around 500 mbs when zipped.

Okay, so since all of that is finally aside I can point out a few helpful topics and such...

So one of the most important topics here is Alpha Readme. It has links to a lot of helpful topics and blog posts, one in particular is the Map Editor Controls post which explains quite a few of the controls in the Alpha. Unfortunately this post is a bit old, but the basics remain the same. One article not listed directly on the Alpha Readme is the Basic Controls Article on the Overgrowth Wiki. Also, all of those videos listed are extremely helpful.

One video for those who barely know anything about Overgrowth is this one. It also shows a quick snipit of all our big features and has links to more in depth videos.

Anyhow, we haven't made too much as far as a community goes, but the Big Community Campaign (BCC) and the far more active Community Mapping Project (CMP) are somewhat big operations going on. Several users have made some maps which I'd recommend checking out as well...

Those are all of those maps, I'm going to have to also recommend yet another creation of mine, the Prefabricated Resources Pack as well. Anyhow, so enough of this self advertisement! Here is an introduction of our devs by Wilbefest...

David:
A sort of child prodigy of game design, David has been making games since primary school - Lugaru and Black Shades were down to him alone. There is some dispute over whether David actually exists - it may be that he's real only in the "Big Brother" sense, as there's a chance that Jeff is simply being copy-pasted twice into all the photos. He rarely shows up on the forums, or even the IRC. Whatever the case he's the leader of the bunch.

Jeff
David's (evil) twin brother, Jeff is the "serious" programmer, doing most of the web and application stuff to get the thing to actually work while David thinks about clever graphics algorithms and has cunning plans. Jeff had a real job once upon a time so he knows what he's doing!

Aubrey:
Aubrey is a mysterious ninja-graphics-dude. In fact, on the forums he is known as "Ninjas" Anything that is aesthetically appealing (2D, 3D, textures, video) is down to him so he has a lot of work to do. Aubrey also had a real job before, working for a commercial development company. I think.

John:
John's job description is "everything else" he embodies sales, marketing and customer relations: on the one had he's like the CEO, on the other he makes the coffee, but most of us would agree that he has the best job on the planet. John knows about Economics which is a sort of black magic that makes other people give you their money. He also has an epic beard, kilt and voice.

Phillip:
Phillip left to do his Master's degree - one day he will return though, if we have faith.

They've also introduced themselves properly on the blog

Other than that you can look through the comments to see what other fellow Wolfire Members have chosen to share with you folks. It'd be great to hear you guys introduce yourselves and all...

Welcome!
Last edited by Hale on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

vts

Re: Welcome Natural Selection 2 Members!

Post by vts » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:05 pm

This one looks like its for me lol
/me looks a the date
Thanks for the welcome,

Looking forward to NS2 and getting to know about 'Overgrowth'

Linfosoma

Post by Linfosoma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:55 pm

This is great thank you, Im going to be checking those maps as soon as I get home.

I am too a NS2 pre-orderer. I feel kinda bad I never paid any attention to this game, the alpha and the videos look incredible :D

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Make sure you check out "Lugaru" - it's Overgrowth's NS1 so to speak, and since Overgrowth's gameplay isn't done yet it's a good glimpse at what the finished game will be like.
The important thing about Lugaru is that unlike most beat'em'up games there are no combos and button mashing won't get you anywhere - it's less of a power-fantasy and more of an "old-school hardcore masochistic challenge" sort of game. The combat mechanics themselves were very elegant, but John can explain it better than I can:

Probably the best example of pure gameplay is that old Contest Video. Also if somebody could do the same over on the NS2 forum - show off NS1 a little, tell us what it's about, especially for those of us who are on Linux so can't play it ourselves. On your forum though - don't want to hijack any threads :wink:

MachinaEclipse

Post by MachinaEclipse » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks for the welcoming! I played Lugaru years ago, never knew it had a sequel comin as fast as this seems to be comin. I now have another RSS feed to my toolbar, right next to following NS2. I've been messing around with the Alpha 59, interesting engine. Can't wait to see some of the other character models!

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Hale and Wilbefast told about almost everything you need to know, so there's only one thing left for me:

Check out the randomness forum.
Randomness is the first board ever to be created at the Wolfire forums. It was the first board to ever be posted in. It is the place where everything happens. It is the place were many Wolfirers/Wolfirelites/Wolfans/Wolfirites/Wolverines/Wolflames/Wolflameritians/(this list goes on for Wolfinity) spend their lives.

We have many traditions. Everything has a story. Asking about it could ruin your life.

Offtopic: I cannot be held responsible for any unexpected results of this post, neither for property damage and/or bone fracture.

- Black
Science may be described as the art of systematic oversimplification.

Jaytiz

Post by Jaytiz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:43 am

Had been quietly watching you guys for awhile, and then found out I got the game for free!

Good luck on the development, definitely watching a lot closer now

tokage

Post by tokage » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 am

Well, one very important thing about Overgrowth is still missing. You are certainly asking by now:

Who is the 'Whale man' that also approved the OG+NS2 pack?

So behold the power of the Whale man:

Here we have a brief history of how the Whale man came to pass.

And here is the original thread for the whale man model by OpethRockr55.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:09 am

Another important thing would be to introduce the team a little bit:

David:
A sort of child prodigy of game design, David has been making games since primary school - Lugaru and Black Shades were down to him alone. There is some dispute over whether David actually exists - it may be that he's real only in the "Big Brother" sense, as there's a chance that Jeff is simply being copy-pasted twice into all the photos. Whatever the case he's the leader of the bunch.

Jeff
David's (evil) twin brother, Jeff is the "serious" programmer, doing most of the web and application stuff to get the thing to actually work while David thinks about clever graphics algorithms and has cunning plans. Jeff had a real job once upon a time so he knows what he's doing!

Aubrey:
Aubrey is a mysterious ninja-graphics-dude. Anything that is aesthetically appealing (2D, 3D, textures, video) is down to him so he has a lot of work to do. Aubrey also had a real job before, working for a commercial development company. I think.

John:
John's job description is "everything else" he embodies sales, marketing and customer relations: on the one had he's like the CEO, on the other he makes the coffee, but most of us would agree that he has the best job on the planet. John knows about Economics which is a sort of black magic that makes other people give you their money. He also has an epic beard, kilt and voice.

Phillip:
Phillip left to do his Master's degree - one day he will return though, if we have faith.

They've also introduced themselves properly on the blog

whoppaXXL

Post by whoppaXXL » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 am

Heyho, iam one of those cyber immigrants, too.
Overgrowth interested me for a while now, now i have a reason to put my interest in action. :)

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:27 am

haha, awesome thread, thanks for sharing the info. Especially like the comments from people on the Whaleman blog-post which seems to summarize it pretty well:
http://www.andrige.com/og/WhalemanEffort.jpg

Path

Post by Path » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 am

Yay i feel slightly wanted

God whale man is awesome

If you don't know who the "Onos" that tested this pack
you will know what it is when you scream "OH NOES!!"
It is the big thing in the end of the video
he doesn't like marines

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 am

Path wrote:If you don't know who the "Onos" that tested this pack
you will know what it is when you scream "OH NOES!!"
I wonder if that's actual what gave them the idea for the name :)

RisingStar

Post by RisingStar » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:35 am

Wilbefast wrote:I wonder if that's actual what gave them the idea for the name :)
I am not 100% sure, and my quick few minutes of searching cannot find a source, but I do believe that is what the name is based on.

Anyways, hi all. Thank you for the welcome. I really look forward to seeing how the development of the game progresses. Being in the games industry myself I understand what you guys are going through (well, kinda. You guys must be in like crunch time all the time though :shock: ) and so I wish you the best of luck.

RisingStar

Path

Post by Path » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Wilbefast wrote:I wonder if that's actual what gave them the idea for the name :)
RisingStar wrote:
I am not 100% sure, and my quick few minutes of searching cannot find a source, but I do believe that is what the name is based on.
Actually I'm pretty sure thats how the got the name as well but i am not entirely sure.