Map Project

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ebrahim

Map Project

Post by Ebrahim » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:52 pm

After Hales Foothold map I've been inspired to make a map of my own, It wont be anything like yours Hale so put away your fancy copyright papers and your blue haired lawyers.

Anyway its gonna be an old Dog Civilisation that was a trading highway but a large army of cats lay siege to the Concrete City and murdered every inhabitant leaving only bones blood and Shattered stone in their wake. The City lies on top of a large cliff face with steps leading to the top, (the great staircase of stone)

I dont know how the city is gonna lay out as I've only really done some small visualisations (Sketched a bit on the bottom of my bank statement) and made the staircase leading to the Town, Anyway just thought I could improve this with ideas and feedback, I can post regular updates if anyone really cares that much.
Last edited by Ebrahim on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Re: New Project

Post by Blorx » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Sounds awesome! :mrgreen:

Regular picture updates would be great.

One thing I'd suggest doing is finding a way to make a broken highway. Take influence from things like Fallout, Fallen Earth, Mad Max, etc and turn it into stone, rather than the more modern highway.

...that is if that was the type of highway you were talking about... :lol:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:17 pm

I don't know how Hale did his maps, but I had trouble keeping my interest up in my own little project. Hope you'll be doing better. :wink:

I'd like regular updates, but I doubt there are that many people here actually interested in modding yet.

Ebrahim

Post by Ebrahim » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Blorx wrote:Sounds awesome! :mrgreen:

Regular picture updates would be great.

One thing I'd suggest doing is finding a way to make a broken highway. Take influence from things like Fallout, Fallen Earth, Mad Max, etc and turn it into stone, rather than the more modern highway.

...that is if that was the type of highway you were talking about... :lol:
Well Making a stone highway paved with broken Carts and bones sounds awesome (I kind of elaborated on your idea :P) but by highway I meant a big trading center, however I will now add said highway.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Ah, I see. In any case, a ruined stone highway would be awesome.

I can see it now. A not-so-modern metropolis for trading.

The only thing I have to ask is...how ruined is it? You said that it had been invaded. Is it still inhabited? No one lives there anymore? Just trying to picture it.

Ebrahim

Post by Ebrahim » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:55 am

It's ancient old crumbled and completely devoid of life, except Spiders and creepy crawlies but I don't think they've implemented them yet ;p

Anyway last night I had an epiphany of story flooding into my mind, which I scribbled down in my trademark handwriting that no-one can read. Anyway I suggest when I make my final Post you read that story as I plan on placing a multitude of Easter eggs from the story to look out for.

Edit : forgot to mention I plan on placing lots of mossy decals all over the place to make it look Very old however this may be difficult for low end PC's so I will make two version's One for High end PC's and one for Low end PC's (Less decals more stretched out textures,)

tokage

Post by tokage » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:30 am

Endoperez wrote: I'd like regular updates, but I doubt there are that many people here actually interested in modding yet.
I am interested.

Ebrahim

Post by Ebrahim » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:34 pm

First update, I've finished the Ancient steps leading up to the new (ish) city that was besieged not but 5 years prior to when the player stumbles across it. The story plays a heavy part into the description and the look of the city and it describes why the steps are so Mossy but the city is Almost entirely unaffected by moss (the dogs discovered a secret formula using 1 part a type of salt bought from some Rat Traders (sodium pentachlorophenate to any scientists out there) and 8 parts water (I found that on the interwebz) That they poured on the concrete to Permanently (or for a long time at least) Destroy any possibility of moss growing. (That actually works in real life in case you were wondering)

anyway heres some pictures of the map so far.

Also, please don't quote the whole thing its quite pointless and space deteriorating.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Wow, the steps are looking great! :mrgreen:

The wall needs a bit more definition, though, in my opinion. It's just kind of...there.

Ebrahim

Post by Ebrahim » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Blorx wrote:Wow, the steps are looking great! :mrgreen:

The wall needs a bit more definition, though, in my opinion. It's just kind of...there.
If by more definition you mean more City around it its not nearly done yet don't you worry :P
I Plan on building a whole rampaged city complete with burrowed entrance where the cats took 7 years to invade, without the dog's noticing. This story will take me more time to write than the bloody map will to make xD