A movement system that rocks........

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Seradest

A movement system that rocks........

Post by Seradest » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:08 pm

I didnt know that something like this works.....
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dawn-of-brink/702947

Silverfish

Re: A movement system that rocks........

Post by Silverfish » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:25 pm

It works, it looks pretty good as well. It's not something revolutionary though and only time will tell if it actually works as well as they want it to.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:57 pm

The movements and animations reminds me of Mirrors Edge. Looks awesome.

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:20 pm

It does look very promising as a movement system. One of the recent videos (might be your link, didn't actually watch it) has a good amount of footage of someone jumping around with it to show off some things you can do, and it didn't look bad. The first time I saw anything about the game Mirrors Edge was definitely the first thing that came to mind.

The actual gameplay seems a little weak as far as FPS' go, but the movement system itself will probably be pretty solid.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:33 am

To be honest, the first time I saw anything about the game Mirror's Edge DIDN'T come to mind. Art style, theme, etc. all very different. It's only upon seeing the movement system in a gameplay video that Mirror's Edge struck me. It is shockingly similar. I assume you meant the first time you saw the gameplay footage like that video there? The original teaser shots of it couldn't have suggested anything like Mirror's Edge. This game is full of dark colours. Mirror's Edge is fulling of bright glowing colours. This is like Gears Of War's art style meeting Mirror's Edge's parkour elements and some other game's FPS elements. Mirror's Edge's FPS elements were peripheral at best, and weren't really an important part of the game.

I'm very interested though. I love that seemless progression between different body positions that we saw in Mirror's Edge, where everything looks so fluid. While Mirror's Edge was fun to play around in, it never lived up to the potential of the game it could have been. Very weak story, although I liked the setting and art style. There just wasn't enough to the game. Once you'd done your bit of parkour run-around, that was it. It was like a parkour sim with some add-ons to carry it along.

Hopefully Brink can provide the meat to go around the bones that are the interesting gameplay aspects. It seems like it might have some interesting backstory and additional gameplay elements besides just running around jumping on stuff.

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:08 am

Yeah, it was the gameplay videos that reminded me of Mirrors Edge. I didn't know about the game when the first bit of media came out, so the first video I ended up seeing was a very short clip of the S.M.A.R.T system. Basically a first person view of the player running at something, vaulting up and over it, and then doing the almost iconic Mirrors Edge style slide underneath a large pipe object all in one fluid motion.

I'm somewhat interested in seeing an extended video of other players using the movement system in unique ways during multiplayer instead of basically always seeing things from the first person view.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:07 pm

WallyWorld wrote:Basically a first person view of the player running at something, vaulting up and over it, and then doing the almost iconic Mirrors Edge style slide underneath a large pipe object all in one fluid motion.
Yeah the slidey thing was what did it for me. It's like they literally took that animation out of Mirror's Edge.
WallyWorld wrote:I'm somewhat interested in seeing an extended video of other players using the movement system in unique ways during multiplayer instead of basically always seeing things from the first person view.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. If the animations look as cool and fluid in 3rd person I'd be very impressed. Until then I'll take it with a pinch of salt. Sometimes things being hyped can turn out badly. I'm optimistic though.

dra6o0n

Post by dra6o0n » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:23 pm

Actually, the graphics reminds me of borderlands... Without all the outlines.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 pm

Ugh, I say, ugh.

It looks like they got Mirror's Edge, took out the stuff that I liked, then added everything I hate about mainstream FPSs.

No thanks.

Also, "Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain button" is an irritating and pretentious term.

dra6o0n

Re:

Post by dra6o0n » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Zhukov wrote:Ugh, I say, ugh.

It looks like they got Mirror's Edge, took out the stuff that I liked, then added everything I hate about mainstream FPSs.

No thanks.

Also, "Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain button" is an irritating and pretentious term.
They could work it out similarly to Modern warfare 2's controls of being able to climb up certain surfaces... But this is more of a random terrain so yeah...

Maybe not ONE button but a few more for those who thinks they don't need to mash that button to climb up.

Maybe climbing related actions are done by holding jump. Ground level and lower based action are done by holding that action button.

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:51 am

That would be similar to how Mirror's Edge did it, with an up and down button for the jumps and slides (basically). Probably a better way of doing it if there is a little more control needed. They probably chose to use only one button for Brink because they wanted to be able to use all the other buttons for various other FPS game uses. Of course this then makes me think it is just going to be a console game, likely ported to the PC without much if any work done to convert it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:23 am

What confuses me is why developers make games like Mafia 2 for PC and XBox 360 and then make a crappy port over to PS3. I'm always told PS3 is the "more powerful" console yet it seems to get shirked when it comes to ports. The PS3 version of Mafia 2 is apparently missing a lot of graphical features which are present in the XBox 360 version.

I doubt it will be the same button for jumping and climbing as it will for ducking and sliding.

What did they take out of Mirror's Edge that you liked? The shiny windows and luminous red construction sites?

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:26 am

The Brink S.M.A.R.T. button is a one button does all action button for movement throughout the environment. Instead of the separate up and down action buttons like Mirror's Edge, they have the camera determine whether or not the player wants to slide or jump. Slide by pointing the camera below the middle, jump by having it above. But thats Brink.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:21 pm

This system is interesting. I will wait to use it before I comment further.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:31 pm

It has the opportunity to turn out to be something great, if they do not fuck it up.