RACES

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Count Roland

Re: RACES

Post by Count Roland » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:40 pm

Sheep are mostly dumb because we bred them that way though, armadillos are naturally stupid, I mean white isn't exactly the most natural colour but of course we bred them for that because it was easy to dye and that in addition to breeding them for placidity and such really led to the dumbing of the sheep, we've kinda trained and bred them to be dependent on us for defense.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:12 am

Endoperez wrote:Rabbits > wolves > rats = cats = dogs

"Rabbit" has more letters in it than "wolf", and "rat", "cat" and "dog" are tied at three letters. Because bigger is better, and rabbit is bigger than wolf, rabbits must be better than wolves. I'm right because I say SCIENCE says so. :P
Then that would make squirrels...

Oh, yes, you guys knew it all along.

As for races to be included in Overgrowth, one of the things is you have to keep in mind it's a game. The new race would have to bring an interesting gameplay element to the.. game...

For example, since there are rats, squirrels probably won't be added because they'd be (too overpowered) rats with fluffy tails that attack from treetops instead of bushes and caves.

Dogs are similar to wolves, but they are a lot more civilized and use weapons, which is a big enough difference to include them, I think.

Slyvvr

Post by Slyvvr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:12 am

Ozymandias wrote:
Endoperez wrote:Rabbits > wolves > rats = cats = dogs

"Rabbit" has more letters in it than "wolf", and "rat", "cat" and "dog" are tied at three letters. Because bigger is better, and rabbit is bigger than wolf, rabbits must be better than wolves. I'm right because I say SCIENCE says so. :P
Then that would make squirrels...

Oh, yes, you guys knew it all along.

As for races to be included in Overgrowth, one of the things is you have to keep in mind it's a game. The new race would have to bring an interesting gameplay element to the.. game...

For example, since there are rats, squirrels probably won't be added because they'd be (too overpowered) rats with fluffy tails that attack from treetops instead of bushes and caves.

Dogs are similar to wolves, but they are a lot more civilized and use weapons, which is a big enough difference to include them, I think.
It's true they would need to have a cultural difference for them to be included into the game. But you could always add like a sort of indian, or possibly african or asian culture to the game. As we now have medieval themed dogs, egyptian styled cats, hmm i don't know what the wolves represent but they have something familiar, then the rats are just like a thieves guild more like african bushpeople. so i we were to be able to find a reference that fits a new race to be implemented into the game due to it's cultural and behavioural differences then it could be possible to make an independant storyline for these antropomorphs. :D

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:48 pm

I think the wolves could be kinda like barbarians? I dunno.

It will be interesting trying to deal with all the different combat styles each race has to offer =)

EDIT: I just imagined rabbits using farming tools as weapons a lot.

Slyvvr

Post by Slyvvr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Ozymandias wrote:I think the wolves could be kinda like barbarians? I dunno.

It will be interesting trying to deal with all the different combat styles each race has to offer =)

EDIT: I just imagined rabbits using farming tools as weapons a lot.
Well it's mostly the part that wolves are not allowed to use weapons ( as a cultural proficiency ) that it made me think to something leaning to barbarians, but not quite barbarians... Ah i just can't put my finger on it.

also rabbits with farmerhats and farming tools = win!

Kiory

Post by Kiory » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Wolves would be far from being barbaric, they are tacticians, pack hunters. Out of all the races they would be the most intelligent, so I think a military themed regime or something along those lines would be the most apt.

Wolves have hierarchical social structures with a breeding "alpha" pair which climbs the social ladder through fighting, ranks as it were. Now that I think about it, they are more of a family than a military, and in rare cases they adopt certain wolves into the pack. I think it would be unwise to depict wolves as brutish and barbaric, they are far from it. It's actually the other way around, dogs have less of a social standing than wolves.

What about a mafia type of family? Yes... That would make perfect sense!

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Slyvvr wrote:THat is totally not what you were doing... You were saying that i should stop this thread, as we should just stick to turner, but that was totally not my point!
I fail to see anything about stopping the thread in his previous post.

Slyvvr

Post by Slyvvr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:25 am

Kiory wrote:Wolves would be far from being barbaric, they are tacticians, pack hunters. Out of all the races they would be the most intelligent, so I think a military themed regime or something along those lines would be the most apt.

Wolves have hierarchical social structures with a breeding "alpha" pair which climbs the social ladder through fighting, ranks as it were. Now that I think about it, they are more of a family than a military, and in rare cases they adopt certain wolves into the pack. I think it would be unwise to depict wolves as brutish and barbaric, they are far from it. It's actually the other way around, dogs have less of a social standing than wolves.

What about a mafia type of family? Yes... That would make perfect sense!
you made me remember, the wolves remind me of Caesar's legion in Fallout New Vegas

Slyvvr

Post by Slyvvr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:27 am

TheBigCheese wrote:
Slyvvr wrote:THat is totally not what you were doing... You were saying that i should stop this thread, as we should just stick to turner, but that was totally not my point!
I fail to see anything about stopping the thread in his previous post.
hmm i don't know, how about the : "the dev team should stick to turner, our beloved rabbit"? I don't know but that pretty much sums up that he didn't read the OP before he posted.

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

What about some Woodchuck love? A strong hearty race that live in deep underground fortresses (dwarf-like). Fierce warriors with no weakness other than seeing their own shadow!

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:33 am

These are the races as I have thought of them
Cats: Samurai and Ninja, feudal Japan basically (and yes I know that Ninja were just specially trained Samurai in black with special weapons :) ).
Dogs: Medieval English
Rabbits: Bedouin nomads
Wolves: Norse Vikings
Rats: Mongols

oh and cats are better

Vibhor

Post by Vibhor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:35 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:Cats: Samurai and Ninja, feudal Japan basically (and yes I know that Ninja were just specially trained Samurai in black with special weapons :) ).
No just no.
Ninjas were villagers given weapons.
Samurai's were much more trained than them.
The lack of training was the sole reason of stealth.

And just to ruin the sports.
I believe races are different types of the same animal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_%28biology%29
And if I am correct,Cats,rats,dogs,wolves and rabbits are not same animals

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 am

Vibhor wrote:Ninjas were villagers given weapons.
The lack of training was the sole reason of stealth.
Jacktheawesome had a smiley in there.

Any way, while I don't know much about this, but I've read a little from people whose judgement I hold above most internet "historians".

Ninjas were used as spies and/or assassins. Some ninjas were spies, and couldn't fight. Those who were assassins wouldn't have to be as good fighters as actual warriors, since they were supposed to use easier means such as poisons, drugs, or stabbing sleeping or drunk people. Some ninjas of some times were individuals who did dirty jobs for money, possibly of peasant origins. Other ninjas of other times might have been part of a clan. Some samurai were known for using tactics similar to those ninjas used.
The black "ninja costume" comes from Japanese theathre, and it was originally worn by stagehands who change the scenery and are to be ignored. Then some playwright wrote a play in which one of the stagehands was, in fact, a ninja who assassinated someone - the audience was shocked, since the assassin had "appeared out of nowhere", and had indeed been "invisible" in a sense. The word "ninja" is also relatively modern.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:15 pm

To partially support Endoperez' debunking of whatever myth we've drawn out of the ninja, most accounts we have of the kind of 'trained assassin' character were observed to have dressed as peasants or anyone innocuous (hitman-esque) to allow them to get close to whatever targets they had. They certainly weren't super assassin's with cat-like agility and schools of training where they all hung out and practiced dancing on swords (those were the Buddhists!).

Also, as a litmus test, go out at night dressed in black and contrast that with a friend dressed in dark blue. You may notice that the former actually stands out quite a bit more in reality than it does in films and games. It's much more likely that anyone who did dress up in dark clothes to stealth around on that cool Japanese roofing would have worn navy (and I think there are accounts of that, too, but that might be my brain playing tricks on me).

Cracked.com had a good go at debunking some of the Samurai myths, too. They really didn't exist in the manner which most people think of them (specifically aspects like their servitude and Bushido: http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110006178651/en).
Vibhor wrote:No just no.
Ninjas were villagers given weapons.
Vibhor, I'd argue that there was no average account that could lead you to presume anything about villagers given weapons they can't use and pussying out in the shadows as a result. Certainly nothing solid enough to warrant the deadly use of a "No just no."

Also, while I'm still slightly irritated at your lust for contradiction, I do believe we're using the term 'race' in the context of animals that have been anthropomorphised, as though each species could be considered an 'ethnic' separation. Is it just me, or could the rules of terminology go a bit soggy when we're talking about a bunch of rabbits and wolves that can pick up sticks and beat each other with them?
Perhaps I'm not the right person to rule on that, do we have any Furries about?
Last edited by Uberbeard on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Thank you. While I know that opinion and "fact" varies on the usage and origin of the Ninja, here is what I have read on several different articles. The Ninja were people from rich families who could have been Samurai but attended a school of Ninjutsu, which is still practiced today. They were trained to sneak into a secure area, and either poison or otherwise kill a target or set fire to the castle that the target was in, sometimes both. In fact Ninja were known especially for their arson missions, a little known fact. They would sometimes dress up in disguises (e.g. the guard outfit of whatever stronghold they were infiltrating, or sometimes in the black (or navy blue, i guess, I hadn't heard that before) wraps. They were very well trained, and they did have special weapons. That is all.