Suggestion - Spawn grid

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Beastery

Suggestion - Spawn grid

Post by Beastery » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Another suggestion from me (I havent posted in a while actually though :/ )
But yeah I was thinking of a way to have sort-of-dynamic spawning for story levels / survival mode (new suggestion?).

I was thinking maybe you could add a tool which allows the user/modder/level designer to create a horizontal, 2d plane; which projects a spawn area vertically onto terrain and objects/assets. This spawn area has no preset enclosures to create a character spawn point, instead they are scattered randomly.
Variables for the spawn-plane would include:
  • Size and Position (edited using the overgrowth program, much like an asset)
  • Spawn cap - creates a maximum number of character spawn points for the spawn-plane
  • Scatter distance - sets the minimum distance between each character spawn point(CSP)
  • Spawn height - sets the distance from the terrain/asset from which a CSP is made, vertically
  • Spawn type - neutral / aggressive / friendly. Sets the personality toward the player (explained later)
  • Spawn list - allows control over what characters are spawned in this spawn-area (followed by a number which sets the cap for that character; 0-no cap, integer-capped)

Suggestion Extended - Smart spawn grid
Make the grid only spawn characters where the player isnt looking / cannot see.

Ozymandias

Re: Suggestion - Spawn grid

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:55 am

So, you're basically saying, instead of placing each individual character, you could just make a huge spawn rectangle (A-la Tribes2, though I think that used spheres) and then set its parameters to determine the type and number of enemies that spawn within the rectangle etc?

A rectangle would make more sense than a grid, IMO, since with a rectangle you can have the enemies have a chance to spawn on rooftops and such.

Maybe you could also 'paint' areas with a tool, so that if the area has more 'spawn paint' the enemies are more likely to come from certain areas than others... or just use multiple rectangles...

Beastery

Post by Beastery » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:05 am

Well yes, but not instead of, as well as. This is because for story implementation you still need special characters.

A grid is basically a rectangle, I just used the word grid because its shorter hehe ^^

Painting areas with spawn points is a good idea. But we need to make sure the "spawn paint" is selectable, to edit the perameters.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:39 pm

I think that a grid and a rectangle are different things, but yes, it's a good idea. Naturally, you'll still be able to individually place characters, this is just a way to make it so the missions are different every time you play them =)

PurePareidolia

Post by PurePareidolia » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Why not just flag areas of the nav mesh like in Left 4 Dead?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:37 am

PurePareidolia wrote:Why not just flag areas of the nav mesh like in Left 4 Dead?
What?

Beastery

Post by Beastery » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:47 am

Because this isnt the source engine, and it will probably be a better way of doing it anywho