Project Showoff

Endoperez

Re: Project Showoff

Post by Endoperez » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 am

WillGreen wrote:That last cart is looking aweasome, it really improves from the lowpoly :O.
Im wondering why is everyone using Xnormal?? im curious, i just learned yesterday how to bake normals and doing it from inside 3dsmax looks fairly simple, you have a lot of control. But everyone is telling me to use Xnormal :shock:
You only need xNormal when you're working with sculpting software like ZBrush, Mudbox, Sculptris, 3D Coat and so on. When you're working on subdivision level 6 or 7, a simple OBJ text file describing the vertices is well over 100 MB! xNormal lets you bake stuff without rendering them in viewport, so it can handle stuff that most slows 3D applications to a crawl, and even stuff that's so complex most apps can't open them at all.

WillGreen

Post by WillGreen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Thank you so much that made thinks much more clear, and im gonna try it assap!!! :D

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 pm

I just uploaded a video of a platforming level I made.

Here's the level file:
16_red_desert.xml
(69.9 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
To play it, put it into your /Overgrowth/Data/Levels/Project60/ folder. It will replace your current Red Desert level, so if you don't want that, then place it right in your levels folder instead.

If you replaced your Red Desert level, then just load the Red Desert map from the main menu. If you placed it in your Levels folder and didn't replace your Red Desert level, load it by typing the exact name of the level (including the .xml at the end) into the custom level loading field on the main menu.

I'll be taking a closer look at this level in this weeks Overgrowth Weekly, number 8. http://www.ogweekly.com .

Roujin

Post by Roujin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Haha, the prize is awesome :D

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:45 pm

lol I almost thought the prize was a giant egg. Simple and fun nice :D

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:23 pm

I'd be curious about if I'm the only one who can get through that level. And if anyone has made their own platforming level, I'd really like to play it! :)

WillGreen

Post by WillGreen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:55 am

hey guys, i was wondering... does anyone of you know how is the specularity controled on the decals??

I have succesfully done a decal but it has a damn high specular , it looks more like metal and it should be fabric :shock:

I know in the regular objects its controled via alpha channel, but it seems here the alpha channel indeed controls opacity so im not sure how to change it. I have used "ThickMoss" decal as comparison and it doesnt have this problem, but alphas are fairly similar and the xml doesnt point to a spec map??

anny ideas?? thank you .

And great map Silver, looks god damn difficult xD

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:03 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is that you somehow have a wrong shader. I doubt it's something that simple, however.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 am

love the price silverfish, and it's fairly challenging =)

SooSiaal

Post by SooSiaal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 am

I've started modelling a character after seeing/hearing there will be a character rigging tutorial in the near future, its roughly based on rabbot and robo_leader's very nice robot character.
Here is a little preview of what i managed to put together this morning

SooSiaal

Post by SooSiaal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Did some more work on the character, its almost complete, just some touching up to do and then start mapping "her"

WillGreen

Post by WillGreen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Hey looks great SooSiaal, rabbot 3.0 maybe?? :mrgreen:

One little point is that im not sure but i think Og doesnt support glow maps so the green "eyes" will be a plain green color. Would love to see how you rigg it, im always interested in mechanical rigs so keep us informed :D

Also "her" lol haha

good job
!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:08 pm

WillGreen wrote:Hey looks great SooSiaal, rabbot 3.0 maybe?? :mrgreen:

One little point is that im not sure but i think Og doesnt support glow maps so the green "eyes" will be a plain green color. Would love to see how you rigg it, im always interested in mechanical rigs so keep us informed :D

Also "her" lol haha

good job
!
It's possible to write a shader that uses emissive map. Green glow around the eyes will be more complicated, but basic glow should be quite simple.

SooSiaal

Post by SooSiaal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:21 pm

I wasnt expecting it to make it glow within the game, but if it's possible who knows :)

danpryke128

Post by danpryke128 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:25 pm

not really anything to show off about but it was interesting :P