Bug reporting station

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Silverfish

Re: Bug reporting station

Post by Silverfish » Tue May 30, 2017 6:03 am

Salmon, yes, we are experimenting with an automatic ledge grab on advance and internal_testing on Steam. This is just so that new people will be able to get through the first part of the campaign without having to learn right away to use right click to grab ledges. We want people to be able to get into the story and fighting first.

The automatic ledge grab would be disabled pretty early in the campaign, once the player is taught how to grab ledges using right click.

MintPaw

Post by MintPaw » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:55 pm

It seems like the bug tracker is private? I'd rather not spam the bug email address with probably commonly bugs. These also more of just polish things so I guess I'll just post them here.

1. The mouse input is laggy, it's especially noticeable in the menus.
2. The mouse sensitivity scale should be brought way down, the ideal sensitivity for me is somewhere between 0% and 2%, I can't see how anyone would be able to play with 5%+
3. This "Press shift while running" thing stays on the screen way too long. https://i.imgur.com/qugkI6W.jpg
4. There are a random stutters sometimes that feel like shader compilation or garbage collections, not sure anything can be done about that though.
5. The camera seems to instantly rotate about 90 degrees randomly. Let me know if you want to see a recording of that.

I've only played up till that screenshot so far, but things look good overall, you must have been secretly cooking up the story mode for quite a while.
Attachments
hwreport.txt
(10.82 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for the report! I will forward it on.
MintPaw wrote:It seems like the bug tracker is private? I'd rather not spam the bug email address with probably commonly bugs. These also more of just polish things so I guess I'll just post them here.
Don't worry about that, we can dedupe :) It's more work for us to transfer things from the wolfire forums, steam forums, twitter, discord, youtube, etc than to resolve dupes in the bug tracker, so feel free to send the email even if it might be a dupe.
MintPaw wrote:1. The mouse input is laggy, it's especially noticeable in the menus.
We were experiencing slowdowns during the main menu, so we did some tweaks to improve the framerate. It is possible this negatively impacted things too, but it looked good in our testing. If you want to help us narrow this down, and have the game registered on steam, you could try switching to the "previous_alpha" mode and see if it improves things for you. Library -> right click Overgrowth -> Properties -> Beta tab -> switch from "NONE" to "previous_alpha".

Emailing and letting us know your hardware info might also help us isolate this (CPU, GPU, all the game overlay programs you are using, what monitor you have, if you have vsync on, which display mode you're using, etc).
MintPaw wrote:2. The mouse sensitivity scale should be brought way down, the ideal sensitivity for me is somewhere between 0% and 2%, I can't see how anyone would be able to play with 5%+
I think this was tweaked when high DPI gaming mice were less common. I play on 2% or 1%, depending on which gaming mouse I'm using. The higher settings tend to work well on touchpads, though, and I suspect they also work well for older mice. We'll think about this change.
MintPaw wrote:3. This "Press shift while running" thing stays on the screen way too long.
It is a little annoying to me as well, but so far very few people have complained about it. We might not bother fixing this since you're not doing anything while running through here. But we'll think about it.
MintPaw wrote:4. There are a random stutters sometimes that feel like shader compilation or garbage collections, not sure anything can be done about that though.
There's both some random loose asset loads, and shader compiles. We can fix the asset loads already, and just need to be a bit more thorough. We are also thinking about being more careful with explicitly listing and precompiling shaders on level load that end up compiling mid-level. That requires some risky and possibly extensive work, so we'll see. It's definitely high on our wish list, so we may be able to make that happen.
MintPaw wrote:5. The camera seems to instantly rotate about 90 degrees randomly. Let me know if you want to see a recording of that.
If you want to mess around with it, you could try changing the "raw mouse input" setting, or switching to a different display mode (switch between windowed full screen or true full screen).

We haven't quite figured out how to reproduce this reliably, and different equipment seems to affect it. Swapping display modes (windowed to fullscreen) also might affect it, but we're not sure yet. If you are seeing this during gameplay, let us know if you figure out a way to reliably reproduce it with various settings, starting from when you launch the game. Restarting the game has sometimes also seemed to make it go away, hence why it's been kind of hard to nail down.
MintPaw wrote:I've only played up till that screenshot so far, but things look good overall, you must have been secretly cooking up the story mode for quite a while.
Thanks! We started it in December of last year. It's been a pretty open secret, and has been available to play (work in progress) since I think beta 2 or beta 3 via the "File" menu. We didn't make it super easy to find because we didn't consider it quite good enough for a flood of feedback (and spoilers) until this Beta. You couldn't even beat the final level until a few weeks ago :)

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Looks like my Bluetooth Xbox One controller isn't recognized on Overgrowth on my Mac. Updating the SDL version to 2.0.6 should fix it (assuming it is out yet).

3V1L L33T

Post by 3V1L L33T » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:49 am

First, here are my system specs:
and here is my display information:

I have to play it at a very low setting (lower than previous alphas) to run it at a decent speed, and even when I do, any foggy/night levels look like this:

Is this an issue to be fixed or is my computer just not good enough?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 pm

3V1L L33T wrote:First, here are my system specs:
and here is my display information:

I have to play it at a very low setting (lower than previous alphas) to run it at a decent speed, and even when I do, any foggy/night levels look like this:

Is this an issue to be fixed or is my computer just not good enough?
That's a pretty low end GPU, though it should technically be able to run it. You said "previous alphas", did you play the Overgrowth story in previous betas, or are you comparing it to older content? The new story is much more demanding than the Lugaru story.

We plan to make improvements to the visuals when running on lower end computers, so you don't get that whiteout fog effect. You'll definitely have to play the new story on lower settings than older content though.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Madd the Sane wrote:Looks like my Bluetooth Xbox One controller isn't recognized on Overgrowth on my Mac. Updating the SDL version to 2.0.6 should fix it (assuming it is out yet).
Doing a library update can be pretty impactful, so we don't them unless we consider it to be necessary.

We just upgraded to SDL 2.0.5 (on Windows only) to resolve an issue. We might update if it is necessary, though I imagine the number of people using xbox 360 controllers on mac is pretty low. Does SDL support it natively, or do you have to use a program to do mapping/install a special driver?

Loogahroo

Post by Loogahroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:12 am

Hey all,

First off, congratulations guys! I've been following Overgrowth since the beginning of Lugaru, a massive fan of that epic, so to see this game get it's release is so exciting! The combat is as epic as I remember it.

I have been dying to get into arena but I'm getting a crash as soon as I try and load an Arena map. It starts it and then shrinks giving this message

"Function: bool DialogueCameraControl() not found in file:"/Applications/Overgrowth.app/Contents/MacOS/Data/Scripts/multi_arena.as"

It loads up right to the point the map starts and then crashes. I've tried numerous times to no luck

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 am

Loogahroo wrote:Hey all,

First off, congratulations guys! I've been following Overgrowth since the beginning of Lugaru, a massive fan of that epic, so to see this game get it's release is so exciting! The combat is as epic as I remember it.

I have been dying to get into arena but I'm getting a crash as soon as I try and load an Arena map. It starts it and then shrinks giving this message

"Function: bool DialogueCameraControl() not found in file:"/Applications/Overgrowth.app/Contents/MacOS/Data/Scripts/multi_arena.as"

It loads up right to the point the map starts and then crashes. I've tried numerous times to no luck
If you downloaded the game from Humble Bundle, make sure you apply the 1.0.1 patch as well.

Loogahroo

Post by Loogahroo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:54 pm

merlyn wrote:If you downloaded the game from Humble Bundle, make sure you apply the 1.0.1 patch as well.
[/quote]

EDIT: So had a look around on the humble site and it seems like the patch is only on the PC option for the humble bundle. I'm a dreaded Mac user. Will the update work for mac as well? Or should I wait for a Mac specific patch?

Hey Merlyn, looking on the Humble Bundle and there is only the option to download the game, not a mention of a patch. Is there something I'm missing?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 am

Loogahroo wrote: EDIT: So had a look around on the humble site and it seems like the patch is only on the PC option for the humble bundle. I'm a dreaded Mac user. Will the update work for mac as well? Or should I wait for a Mac specific patch?
Download the "Windows" patch. It contains files for all OS versions.

Thorenthal

Post by Thorenthal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:43 am

For some reason, I'm unable to play through Overgrowth's main campaign beyond the first level. I can load up and play through all of the Lugaru campaign and all the arena levels, but for some reason I can't play the main campaign beyond the first level.

When I try to play further than that, my game crashes from a fatal error while it's loading the second level. This also happens with levels that I get from SUM, and I have no idea why.

I've already applied the latest patch from Humble Bundle, but that didn't fix it. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:06 am

Thorenthal:
It would be great if you could submit a bug report about this to us so we can look at it. There are instructions for how to do that in the first post in this current topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7162

tbf2992

Post by tbf2992 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 pm

I bought this game here back in 2012 after I'd completed lugaru. Unfortunately when I tried downloading the game off of humble bundle, I couldn't get it to activate. Tried doing it through SUMlauncher which also won't work for my computer. I have a Macbook Pro 10.6.8, which I know is old but I used to play the alphas without too many problems. Anybody know a work around? I'd love to play the game I bought 5 years ago

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:04 pm

tbf2992 wrote:I bought this game here back in 2012 after I'd completed lugaru. Unfortunately when I tried downloading the game off of humble bundle, I couldn't get it to activate. Tried doing it through SUMlauncher which also won't work for my computer. I have a Macbook Pro 10.6.8, which I know is old but I used to play the alphas without too many problems. Anybody know a work around? I'd love to play the game I bought 5 years ago
I'm not sure we can run on 10.6 these days. I know that if you have an Intel GPU that we're going to need to do some additional optimization work on the game in order to make it work. The rendering side of things has gone through a lot of change and improvement since the alphas, and older computers don't tend to be able to run it as well right now.

You may be able to play some of the older alphas. I think 209 might have been the last one before the rendering changes. See this page for info on that build and a download link - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36437