Bug reporting station

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
pfannkuchen_gesicht

Re: Bug reporting station

Post by pfannkuchen_gesicht » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:37 pm

so is this still active?
If so I have a bug to report concerning the "advanced_testing" branch and the Lugaru campaign.

Bug #1:
In the desert map with the circular barricaded area, enemies regularly fall through the ground after jumping off of any platform.
I'm not exactly sure what causes it but in both instances I wasn't looking at them when they jumped and only in the last moment before "impact"/fall-through I was looking back.

Bug #2:
Shadows in the distance only update every few seconds, so the shadows of enemies are lagging behind.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:59 am

pfannkuchen_gesicht wrote: Bug #1:
In the desert map with the circular barricaded area, enemies regularly fall through the ground after jumping off of any platform.
I'm not exactly sure what causes it but in both instances I wasn't looking at them when they jumped and only in the last moment before "impact"/fall-through I was looking back.
It would be great if you could report this to our bug tracker! See instructions for that in the first post of this topic.
pfannkuchen_gesicht wrote: Bug #2:
Shadows in the distance only update every few seconds, so the shadows of enemies are lagging behind.
This is actually not a bug, but is by design to improve performance. Might be changed in the future though, and it's useful to know how you perceive it, thanks.

pfannkuchen_gesicht

Post by pfannkuchen_gesicht » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:50 am

Sure! But I'm a bit confused. The first post doesn't really mention a bug tracker apart from
Trac was not really working out, so we are trying a new bug system called FogBugz!
So do I just send you an email and you have an internal bug tracker?

About Bug #2:

I don't really like it all that much, it just looks strange. Maybe rendering it a tad bit more frequently would make it look more "acceptable".

Doesn't CSM work out too well?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:20 pm

pfannkuchen_gesicht wrote:So do I just send you an email and you have an internal bug tracker?
If you send an email, it ends up in the bug tracker. Please also read the full first post, because there's several things we want you to include in the email in order to help us isolate the bug.
pfannkuchen_gesicht wrote:Doesn't CSM work out too well?
CSM mostly optimizes VRAM usage, not frame time (or it optimizes quality, depending on how you look at it).

We lowered the update frequency of some shadows in order to combat the high impact on frame time when "simple shadows" were disabled (so, when full quality shadows were enabled).
pfannkuchen_gesicht wrote:I don't really like it all that much, it just looks strange. Maybe rendering it a tad bit more frequently would make it look more "acceptable".
Thanks for the feedback. As Silverfish said, we might do some improvements to this in the future.

pfannkuchen_gesicht

Post by pfannkuchen_gesicht » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:30 am

Well with the same quality constraints CSM also costs less frame time than if you'd render one big high res shadow map.

The CSM in Overgrowth seems a bit odd to me though, especially the partitioning(seems like it's not partitioning the view frustum but rather the light frustum) and the size of the first cascade(from the tack sharp shadows over quite a large area it seems the first cascade might've been chosen too big).

Anyway, I submitted my bug report. I hope it includes everything you guys need and is actually helpful. With the reproduction steps I wrote down I can reproduce the bug 100% of the time, so I hope that's also the case for you.

Majikmon

Post by Majikmon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:56 pm

I don't know if this is technically a bug, but the extensions on most of the sky textures are ".tga_converted" instead of just ".tga". Is this intentional?

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Majikmon wrote:I don't know if this is technically a bug, but the extensions on most of the sky textures are ".tga_converted" instead of just ".tga". Is this intentional?
Yeah, when the game runs for the first time, it converts all texture to .dds filetypes, these save space, but I think the game ships with the uncompressed .tga files for modders to use

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 am

halzoid wrote:
Majikmon wrote:I don't know if this is technically a bug, but the extensions on most of the sky textures are ".tga_converted" instead of just ".tga". Is this intentional?
Yeah, when the game runs for the first time, it converts all texture to .dds filetypes, these save space, but I think the game ships with the uncompressed .tga files for modders to use
We also pre-create them at build time before we deploy to people's computer so that the game loads faster. That's why mod levels and models with a lot of unconverted textures take a long time to load and sort of seem like they're hanging (even though the command line you might see in the background is going nuts).

Zekrus

Post by Zekrus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 pm

idk if this is a bug but I was just added to the Steam Workshop and I am trying to install the new update for Overgrowth in order to access the workshop but It continues to say "missing privileges" I have tried running as an Admin but it hasnt worked yet

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 am

@Zekrus can you post a picture of the message and a more detailed description of what you do to get it to show up?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Zekrus wrote:idk if this is a bug but I was just added to the Steam Workshop and I am trying to install the new update for Overgrowth in order to access the workshop but It continues to say "missing privileges" I have tried running as an Admin but it hasnt worked yet
To fix this problem, open task manager and kill igfxEM.exe, or just reboot your computer.

Our game is not the cause of this problem, and is not the only one affected by this problem, though it might look like it on your computer. This is a known bug in Intel GPU driver software, and affects lots of games (rarely, and at random).

ScarXL

Post by ScarXL » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Interface bug on older alphas (a209 in this case) after using the SUMLauncher. I just downloaded some maps and changed some graphical settings and then this happened.

Is there any way to fix this or am I doomed to not use the SUMLauncher at all on older alphas?

warmwasabi

Failed Assert

Post by warmwasabi » Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 pm

There is a recurring line of code that gets spammed when i get ingame in Arena or Lugaru Campaign or whatever and i think it contributes to the frame rate drops and stutters i get ingame.
Ive emailed the bugs boys but i thought id post aswell for some reason.

the full line is:

[f][__]:vbocontainer.cpp: 149: Failed assert "false"

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JUSTACOMPUTER
System Manufacturer To be filled by O.E.M.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor, 3612 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0906, 17-Sep-12
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
Username justacomputer\Sam
Time Zone E. Australia Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.08 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.96 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri May 05, 2017 4:54 am

ScarXL you'd probably have better luck asking Anton in the SUMLauncher thread. I have a feeling that when it was updated to work with newer alphas, it stopped working with older alphas.

warmwasabi this bug is in our bug tracker and we are working on fixing it.

Salmon

Post by Salmon » Mon May 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, but are changes being made to climbing? It's suddenly a lot harder to grab ledges than it was before and seems to happen automatically? Not sure I like this change.