How did you find out about Overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

How did you find out about Overgrowth?

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:01 pm

So lately, Overgrowth preorders are somewhat through the roof compared to what we have been used to... I am really curious where they are coming from.

So I ask, how did you guys hear about Overgrowth and what made you preorder it?

Is it by association of the Humble Bundle? YouTube videos? ModDB? Please let me know!

Jacktheawesome

Re: How did you find about Overgrowth?

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I was watching "Fighting fundamentals for Lugaru" on Youtube a long time ago, and saw "Movement (Initial) for Overgrowth" (which was a new video then) in the related videos box. Watched it. Immediately started planning to preorder.
Last edited by Jacktheawesome on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I heard about it vaguely a while ago, though I can't remember why. I started looking at it more when someone I knew from the Achron IRC channel mentioned that John's videos were funny, so I checked it out. I ended up getting it partly because I really liked Lugaru and partly because of the animation editor, which I had never seen in a game before and I thought was really cool.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 pm

I am pretty sure I found out about it on a Linux gaming site. Had there not been promised a Linux client, I am not sure I'd be here. I mean, it's an awesome game, but I really don't enjoy using Windows (:
Thanks once again, for giving us a such treasure on Linux.
Last edited by Marcus on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRauxa

Post by MrRauxa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:16 pm

I got Lugaru through the Humble Bundle 2, by the time I purchased the bundle you got the first bundle too. I played the game and find it quite fascinating because the immense possibilities it gave, and how profound was the fight mechanics (the graphics didn't help). So I started looking for videos on youtube too see how others players beat some missions to maximize the points I had after my first walkthrough and was then when I found out about your overgrowth videos. At first look I thought it was amazing, great physics and the graphics are superb I absolutely have to take a look at this game, I thought. So after three weeks watching your alpha videos I got it. If you ask me the thing that got me in were your videos, and the possibility to try every week the alpha to see the improvements made and how this every week grows bigger and better. This two factors are the reason I preordered and happy since then to have done so.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Well, I'm not one of the new guys, but I can share my story as well.
I found Lugaru a long time ago, played it and found it to be awesome. Then later came back to the website to see that David was working on Lugaru 2, so I started following the blog. OG was announced a good while later and I preordered it as soon as I could, on November 2, 2008.

Wow, that's a long time ago!

I'm also interested in how people found OG, keep posting! :)

Robo_Leader

Post by Robo_Leader » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Got Lugaru through the HIB a while back, and thought it was pretty fun. Afterwards I remembered that the dev team for it was working on another game that was advertised a while back alongside Natural Selection 2, which none of my friends will shut up about. Overgrowth was again brought to my attention with HIB #2, and so I decided to finally go check it out. The weekly alphas, YouTube videos and the promise of easy modding sealed the deal.
Last edited by Robo_Leader on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby

Post by Toby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 pm

I heard about it shortly after discovering Lugaru but I didn't find it or Lugaru very interesting until about a year ago when that Oraganic pre order pack thing was on. Where I looked at all the WIP footage and whatnot and saw the immense potential that the game has. (Same goes for NS2)
So I instantly pre-ordered.
Though I must say that the timing was rather bad, would've been better as a Christmas event, rather than a week or so after December.

terkiey

Post by terkiey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:52 pm

In the humble indie bundle 2 I payed above average and got lugaru in the humble indie bundle 1 which lead me to search for how to kill a wolf in lugaru ^-^, then I found out about overgrowth.

admalledd

Post by admalledd » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 pm

I first heard about it on the blog, because I had asked on a IRC room for some help with something related to game programming (cant remember now...) got linked to a post, kept on reading... and reading... then watched some tech demos... thought "wow awesome game, I wish it worked in linux..." later I read:this and its follow-up, realised that you guys actually understand what you say about programming and cross platform, which is awesome. but for me? a fighting game about rabbits? really? that cant be fun... then I get the first humble bundle, just for gish and world of goo, then find the game i play the most is lugaru... and while later as I scrounge money (I was a poor high school student at the time) *purchase*

Precastwig

Post by Precastwig » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:56 pm

I knew about lugaru ages ago, i went back through my computer and found it again, so i wondered what the makers were making next, Found the site, pre ordered.

Zachariasmith

Post by Zachariasmith » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:18 pm

I was looking at games on http://www.indiedb.com/ and saw overgrowth. I checked out the blog a bit and tried the Lugaru demo. After reading the blog since around the 65th I finally decided to pre-purchase after the 112th alpha came out.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Whoa it is crazy to hear about all the completely unique ways people are finding out about us. Keep it coming!

Numbie

Post by Numbie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:24 pm

i found it on holarse-linuxgaming ,
when i was looking for a new linux playable game .. and it looked awesome :D teheee

TheArdentWriter

Post by TheArdentWriter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 pm

I found the mod while looking at the Mod of the Year awards; when I saw all the videos that Wolfire had released, I had to support the dev team and get the game in the process.