[OGMP] Overgrowth Multiplayer Mod

vallejo18

Re: [OGMP] Overgrowth Multiplayer Mod

Post by vallejo18 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:12 am

Surak wrote:
vallejo18 wrote:@Surak aye aye Captiain! I'm on it.
Also, I am not very keen on using git hub as I really don't like it. I would much rather upload it somewhere and send you a link to it.
Not possible, you will have to use Github to contribute code. What's your problem with it?
vallejo18 wrote:Speaking of chrome (if you are referring to google) perhaps integrating google voice since it is an app for google chrome.....it's an idea atm do not take it as a sign of movement. I am merely giving a subtle suggestion or theory.......(utilizing/creating apps from the app launcher).
I doubt that this is possible. It is not really Chrome, merely the rendering part. And it is years outdated too. But feel free to try it out.
This is the lib OG uses for the HTML rendering and JavaScript execution: http://www.awesomium.com/
Not Possible? They said OGMP was not possible, they said Mods was not Possible, they said SumLauncher was not possible. Did you forget? Nothing is Impossible. I dont like GitHub because its not easy for me to get around it......Im not a GitHubber.....I am new to it.

Gyrth

Post by Gyrth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:29 am

vallejo18 wrote: Not Possible? They said OGMP was not possible, they said Mods was not Possible, they said SumLauncher was not possible. Did you forget? Nothing is Impossible. I dont like GitHub because its not easy for me to get around it......Im not a GitHubber.....I am new to it.
Version control is necessary for this project. We don't say it's not possible to work with mail/PM/dropbox/etc but we won't work without version control.
Yes, there is a learning curve to using git. But it's well worth it, and it's useful beyond this project. Just try using dropbox with a project, it won't end well.
There is a GUI to git if you don't want to use the command line. So you could always use that.

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:01 am

I'd like to add that version control is an invaluable tool for any software developer, and if they don't know of it i make a point of introducing it to them.

There is no other tool which will have the same impact on your workflow.
That said, if you already know how to deal with version control systems you could probably send patch/diff files to the developers and have them apply it for you, but you'd still have to learn the basics of version control. ;)

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:10 am

Oh and valejo (excuse me if i misspelled your name) mods were possible and sumlauncher is possible because the devs added the possibility to the engine from the beginning. Ogmp on the other hand is more challenging
Last edited by rodeje25 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surak

Post by Surak » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:08 am

Yea, what the others said. Of course it is technically possible to submit code without using Git(hub), but it would increase Gyrth and mine work ten times. We would like to get help to have less work, not more ;)

And there are literally thousands of tutorials out there how to use Git and Github in any form and shape. Not knowing how to use it is really not an excuse, just watch some of the introduction videos on Youtube.

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:18 pm

@rodeje25 its Vallejo18 btw, and you are missing my main point. Nothing is impossible. Also, MP was a possibility in the beginning as well. Hinting at the mp files left in the mp folder. If you are going to insult me (not sure if you are but from how I perceive your tone suggests otherwise) at least be able to spell my name correctly as I have done for yours. Otherwise, just Call me Monica or Yung. My friends on GTA knows me better that way.

@Surak, of course not learning is never an excuse. It's not hard to learn GitHub but it is inconvenient because I really hate using a post-UNIX/Linux environment when I am running windows. It's a matter of convenience not unwillingness to learn. Yes, I know it's a GUI version available. I am not an idiot, just scattered brained and I am not that efficient while multi-tasking on a fast pace. So not making excuses just showing my personality, that's it. Either way I am reading up on some awesomium and chromium to exploit its weaknesses and strengths. I want to see it's limitation. Not to sound like I do not know what I am doing but could you also share all the steps you went through to make this happen. It will be useful to see your pattern and structure. @Gyrth you too. No I do not wish to steal (as if that's even possible) or any of that nonsense just looking at it from a different angle. So that way I can work along side you guys on the same level.

Please commentators, No snarky remarks. I am here only to learn and help. Mainly because I am bored and want to expand my knowledge on things. I'm still in college learning but I have this semester off.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:29 pm

We're not being snarky or insulting at all, it's just Github makes it WAY easier to organize stuff. Like, way way way way easier in nearly every way.
It's like if you were to dig a hole, but didn't like using a shovel so you want to use your bare hands anyways, and everyone extremely discourages you… why not just learn to use a shovel?

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Timbles wrote:We're not being snarky or insulting at all, it's just Github makes it WAY easier to organize stuff. Like, way way way way easier in nearly every way.
It's like if you were to dig a hole, but didn't like using a shovel so you want to use your bare hands anyways, and everyone extremely discourages you… why not just learn to use a shovel?

I literally just posted about the new behaviours I noticed in OG. "Why not just learn to use a shovel?" thats exactly what being snarky is. Perhaps this is the new era and I should either get use to it or simply leave again. My problem isn't just a shovel, its the type of shovel to use for the type of hole to dig. Some people want to dig the hole a certain way, whether it is a small hole, a deep hole, multiple holes or a hole to the core of the earth. There is where the translation is lost. People perceive things differently. Github is merely a source not a person. Yes it is a tool, Git is the bag to keep your different shovels, the hole is the goal (the codes, objects, programs), knowledge is the shovel, subtract the people, what is left? So in retrospect I am trying to learn the type of hole to dig and the right shovel to use by wanting to know how they want certain things to be done. Understanding makes for better communication, faster and more efficient projects to be completed. Let us not forget that perception is everything because we are all different so we must embrace each other and help one another if we ever want to see certain things made true and faster. So if I want to be of help I want to know how I can be of help. If it makes me sound like a total noob, so what? At least I am willing to learn than not learn at all and be bitter and entitled. I never said that I don't know how to use github I simply said I didn't like it. I also never said that I wouldn't use it if I wanted to help. Besides my GitHub name is the same as on here and I have used it before for other projects. In order to give an opinion of something, one must at least try it or analyze it or even use it? Otherwise what's the point of the opinion?

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:23 pm

Autious wrote:I'd like to add that version control is an invaluable tool for any software developer, and if they don't know of it i make a point of introducing it to them.

There is no other tool which will have the same impact on your workflow.
That said, if you already know how to deal with version control systems you could probably send patch/diff files to the developers and have them apply it for you, but you'd still have to learn the basics of version control. ;)
Well yes I agree, however, if I may add, some people work differently and would much rather build as whole and leave changelogs or comments in the source (like when creating scripts). I am kinda new to this whole team working thing so I want to know all about directions and etc. And I am not saying I won't use GitHub, I just haven't preferred to use it as extensively as I do other things. It's like not liking someone or calling them stupid because they like McDonalds over Burger King.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:16 am

Man, we're just sayin'…
Really, we're not at all trying to insult you, it's just way, way easier to use Github.

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:30 pm

@Timbles Marry Me? I love you like I love a pickle dipped in chocolate. Sorry I am bored and at work.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Aw shucks, I just done love you too big boy.

ZeScratch

Post by ZeScratch » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:23 am

I can't be particularly bothered to partition my drive, install a version of ubuntu on a Virtual Machine or dig up the old linux server, so can you please release instructions on how to compile the server inside of Cygwin? (including what packages need to be installed). Thanks!

Surak

Post by Surak » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:25 am

ZeScratch wrote:I can't be particularly bothered to partition my drive, install a version of ubuntu on a Virtual Machine or dig up the old linux server, so can you please release instructions on how to compile the server inside of Cygwin? (including what packages need to be installed). Thanks!
It would be easier to just use the Windows version ;)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38254&start=15#p239342
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38254&start=30#p239809

ZeScratch

Post by ZeScratch » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:14 am

Surak wrote:
ZeScratch wrote:I can't be particularly bothered to partition my drive, install a version of ubuntu on a Virtual Machine or dig up the old linux server, so can you please release instructions on how to compile the server inside of Cygwin? (including what packages need to be installed). Thanks!
It would be easier to just use the Windows version ;)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38254&start=15#p239342
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38254&start=30#p239809
Thanks, that saved me a lot of stress. I'd already tried compiling but stuff happened and Cygwin didn't agree with it. Thanks!