Suspension Custom Map

Aaron

Re: Suspension Custom Map

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Wow, that looks awesome, great work!

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks for all the feedback :D but yeah this map will just be like the original unforgivingly hard. If you fall one time, you'll have to start all over again.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:06 pm

AAAHHHH that's so insane! Awesome!

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Horridius wrote:Thanks for all the feedback :D but yeah this map will just be like the original unforgivingly hard. If you fall one time, you'll have to start all over again.
After my last comment, I went back and played the original again... and there are some definite spots I have trouble with... but I think I'll get past it... Ultimately, this looks like a great addition to a level that I've enjoyed many times. (I just suck at it...)

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 am

A question to jack: I do not fully understand the concept of the red and blue colors. My guess is that red marks a beginning and blue an end. But that doesn't seem entirely true. What is it exactly?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Ah. No. It's a loose color coding system that I put in last minute. Think of it like Mirror's Edge. Often times you'll land on or bounce off a colored block, and that basically just tells you that the next step is a bit confusing or ambiguous, but head for the block of corresponding color. Like in my circley bit, when you bounce off of the last wall, you're presented with a bunch off different surfaces to land on. Only one of them, however, is red. That's the general idea. The only reason the last one is blue is because there's another red block right next to it, and I wanted to differentiate.

alividlife

Post by alividlife » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:30 am

Hah... and here I thought this level was just a cruel joke :lol:

How do you accomplish this wall rolling witchcraft!?

Either way that looks extremely impressive Horridius, especially that last part were you go back to wall jumping. I liked how it synced up with the music as well.
Well.. here goes me dying for the 100th time!

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:39 am

alividlife wrote:Hah... and here I thought this level was just a cruel joke :lol:

How do you accomplish this wall rolling witchcraft!?

Either way that looks extremely impressive Horridius, especially that last part were you go back to wall jumping. I liked how it synced up with the music as well.
Well.. here goes me dying for the 100th time!
I thought that at first too... I'm happy to say I finally beat the real version consistently about 4 times in a row! Although, the little round part at the opposite side still kills me a lot.

I've been thinking about adding some hotspots to this level that are kinda funny... like when you fall being like "You didn't quite make it that time, did you?" and stuff... maybe also forcing a slow motion at that point, and then a level restart once you crash into the ground... it could be fun. I imagine that the level restart could be one giant hotspot, with a lot of little text hotspots, so it doesn't feel like you're always getting the same text... It might make dying a little less annoying on this level.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

I am impressed that my 2 hours of work causes so much pain. :twisted:

That's a great idea Anton. That's true, text like that might alleviate the monotony of failing repeatedly on these kinds of levels.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

ariehl wrote:I imagine that the level restart could be one giant hotspot, with a lot of little text hotspots, so it doesn't feel like you're always getting the same text... It might make dying a little less annoying on this level.
Why not just one hotspot with a random number generator in the script used to randomly from a list of predefined text? You could have it communicate with invisible 'checkpoint' scripts along the path of the level so that it knows how far you were when you fell.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Movin' it up to the modding subforum! 8)

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah go little thread! :lol:

alividlife

Post by alividlife » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:02 am

I do really like the idea of a script that would immediately set you back to spawn point after falling..
I noticed Horridius had some script in his video that would basically move you like an elevator, which would be an interesting concept, and perhaps give the level more of a "flow" and less of "omg how did I miss that roll!!! ARGHHHH!!!" :lol:
But I did see his comment about being merciless to the pitfalls of falling...

I have spent some time playing over many of the custom maps, and I gotta say, I really like your levels Jacktheawesome, and same with Hale.
Modding FTW!

Looking forward to more... falling....

EDIT, also,... is there a database with groups of player made maps on Anton's site?.. or does his Menu Mod contain all known maps as of yet? (I should probably google, but thought I would ask you all here)

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 am

Well that sort of script is in the level editor right now! What I would most like to see are checkpoint hotspots. In my last map Cityscape I included green blocks that meant when you landed on them you could go in the editor and move the spawn point to that block. Better than nothing, and necessary, as Cityscape is a hard level. And much longer than Suspension.

Thanks! Hale really is the best. I wish my computer could run his maps :(
I was playing through a couple of my maps today and they were actually running at a good 20 fps, so I might get back into mapping again. Unfortunately, Escape will not be coming anytime soon, as my computer can't handle what I want to put into that map at this point of unoptimized stuff (to those who saw my teaser post forever ago).

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:17 am

alividlife wrote:I do really like the idea of a script that would immediately set you back to spawn point after falling..
I noticed Horridius had some script in his video that would basically move you like an elevator, which would be an interesting concept, and perhaps give the level more of a "flow" and less of "omg how did I miss that roll!!! ARGHHHH!!!" :lol:
But I did see his comment about being merciless to the pitfalls of falling...

I have spent some time playing over many of the custom maps, and I gotta say, I really like your levels Jacktheawesome, and same with Hale.
Modding FTW!

Looking forward to more... falling....

EDIT, also,... is there a database with groups of player made maps on Anton's site?.. or does his Menu Mod contain all known maps as of yet? (I should probably google, but thought I would ask you all here)
My mod lists every map that I've been able to find, that still runs in the game. If you look in the thread, I even link to some of the missing levels, and a few levels that require additional mods to work. We're working on an update to my menu mod, and when that is released, we'll try to make sure every possible map (and mod) is available in a database format... We're hoping to have a beta working sometime before the end of the month, and hopefully full release in February... I'll be making the "official" announcement this weekend on OG Weekly, and hopefully fill you in on more details.