Oni Mod

EdT

Oni Mod

Post by EdT » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Updated Jan 2 2012.

Oni Mod includes 4 characters from the game Oni. Konoko, Mukade, Striker and Ninja. To play the mod, load the map oni.xml.

I hope I got all the files installed correctly in the zip.

Get it here: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/oni%20mod.zip Textures fixed by last.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post
------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm new to Overgrowth, just purchased it last week.

After reading the wiki and other posts, I was able to import Konoko from Oni into Overgrowth as an object.

I hope with your kind assistance, I'll be able to add Konoko as a playable character. I'm not familiar with Blender, so I may ask some dumb questions :-)
Last edited by EdT on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Korban3

Re: Konoko

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:48 am

Cool. Um, I'm kind of the go-to-guy for characters other than David and Aubrey themselves. The model wouldn't be too big an issue except for the lower legs. Because the legs have a different skeletal structure, you'll probably need new animations to get her to look right when she walks and such. Might be a work-around. You've already got a texture and model, so the only things left are to rig it, export the rig as .phxbn, and then write up the xml to get her in-game.
The rig and animation export codes were written a while back and work on 2.55 beta. I haven't tried them on anything newer yet, but 2.55 beta usually works with them. The best thing for this is to open up one of the current rig blend files and import your obj. Then you just edit the skeleton to fit your character, bind the model to it and export the rig. Here's a link to a video that Ninjas dug up for me one time. It's a video of David rigging and then exporting Rabbot 2.0's skeleton.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236655/RabbotRig.mp4
If you could put up a zip of her obj and texture, I'll take a look and see what I can do. The rig export is a chore to get working and I've only had a couple of successes. My thread on my characters is under Modding and has some more info. The first post has a link to a WIP tutorial and the first few pages are the week it took to get my fox working. Has some good info on what was done to get him in.

blood-shard
Location: in a house in a heartbeat 28 miles away 28 days later

Post by blood-shard » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:27 am

Holy crap this'll be epic. I'm still curious as to how you got her out of Oni :D I haven't seen that game in years~ This made me squeal like a girl. Just imagining how awesome Oni would be with Overgrowth's engine. :mrgreen:

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 am

This belongs in the newly created modding subforum! :)

I have moved it there for you.

EdT

Post by EdT » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Korban3: I have been reading your thread about your characters and the tutorial on the wiki. Since Blender is new to me, it is taking me time to figure it out. Thanks for the video, I will study it.

Here is the link to the files: http://edt.oni2.net/OG/Oni.zip
I appreciate you taking a look at it. Another problem with Konoko is the fact she doesn't have rabbit ears :-)

I was wondering what would happen if the bones for the ears are deleted, would the animations still work? Or are new animations for human characters needed?

blood-shard: I have experience modding Oni, in fact there is still a community of Oni fans. we have been modding Oni with new characters, new animations and recently we have been able to add new levels to the game. Oni Central Forum can be found here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/
Here is my YouTube channel for Oni mods: http://www.youtube.com/user/edt1701?feature=mhum

I think it would be fun seeing Konoko fighting some Strikers in Overgrowth :D

Silverfish: Thanks for the move

last

Post by last » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:45 pm

i think the ears and tale bones are'nt a problem. i belive you don't have to delete bones eiter just leave them like they are.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah, I usually just use the exact rig and skin it without using the bones I don't need. I may not need a new set of animations for Konoko at all. I have an idea for a lower leg workaround. I'll report back in just a bit. Let's hope the rig export code will work today.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:55 pm

ARGH! I had her almost entirely skinned and then Blender crashed. I'm a dork and didn't save at all, so I'll start over tomorrow if I have time.

EdT

Post by EdT » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:42 pm

That's terrible! Don't worry about getting it done right away.

If I tried to do it myself, it would probably take me a long time to import her into the game, if at all.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:07 am

Haha, not too terrible. I'm just stupid for not saving at all. Most of the work was positioning bones so she'd animate right and that's easy to repeat anyways. Someone suggested I do a female once anyways, and humans are occasionally pondered about for OG, so it'd be cool to get it working anyways.

EdT

Post by EdT » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:08 am

Konoko = female human character.. perfect fit.

If there are problems with Konoko's mesh let me know. Character models in Oni are made up of 19 overlapping meshes, these also act as bones. I merged all the meshes together to make the single mesh for Overgrowth. So then there are hidden geometry, if that causes a problem, I will work at removing all the hidden geometry. I also combined all the separate textures into a single texture and UV mapped the mesh to use that texture. That's why the texture map looks odd.

By the way, which skeleton are you using for Konoko?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 pm

No, the hidden geometry isn't too much of a hassle. The prefab skeleton is the turner_rig.blend, but it's required a good deal of editing to fit Konoko. I'll be working on her today I think. I'm going to be busy this week, so I can't guarantee a ton of progress.

EdT

Post by EdT » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Well, after much effort I was able to get Konoko in game:

However, some of the bones aren't right, for example the left shoulder is turned in, the feet are in the ground. The mesh is distorted in some areas. Still lots of work to do, but I'm getting there.

Korban3: Here are my files: http://edt.oni2.net/OG/OG_KonokoData.zip I changed Konoko's pose in the .obj file to be closer to the pose of Turner

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey, cool! Yeah, just a couple small issues, but it's cool you got her in. I haven't played Oni, so I didn't want to change her mesh to something not like the original. I dunno. But cool.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Alright, she's up on the thread characters thread. Pretty fun to play as, although I haven't tried any boss parkour yet. I noticed a good handful of skinning errors, but those shouldn't be too tough to get sorted out.