Oni Mod

EdT

Re: Konoko

Post by EdT » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Here is the Blender file, though, I think it would be better to work from the original Turner rig. I was moving stuff around, not really knowing what I was doing :)

I hope you can fix the skinning errors. Thanks

http://edt.oni2.net/OG/konoko.blend.zip

last

Post by last » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:46 am

i have made better normals map for your model. i used xnormals to make tangent space normals(actually your blanck_normal.tga is tangent-space) into object space normal.
here is files http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/blank_normal.zip
blanck_normal.tga is'nt transparent and that other blanck_normal.tga_converted.dds is 20% transparent and converted by OG

EdT

Post by EdT » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:45 pm

last: Thank you for the normal maps, Konoko looks much better, texture wise.

I wasn't able to make the texture map larger than 1024x1024, because Oni is an old game so the original textures were 128x128 or smaller. I used textures that were made recently and they were 256x256.

BTW, I was able to explore the Old China level with Konoko :D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Awesome. I'll take a look at the skinning errors and getting the zip properly on the characters thread this weekend. This is a cool character to play as.

EdT

Post by EdT » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:41 am

So it wasn't me after all...

I opened the Turner blender file in Mac Blender 2.55, parented the mesh to the bones. Exported the bones and .obj. Renamed them to Konoko and got this:

The model is still using Konoko's texture. So the distortion in my Konoko model was not my skinning error, but something else.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:27 pm

No, it's a skinning problem. By skinning I meant picking which vertices are affected by what bones, not the texture. I've got free time this evening and weekend to twiddle with this when I'm not doing a bunch MC Skin requests.

EdT

Post by EdT » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:15 pm

So how is Konoko coming along?

Edit: Been learning more about skinning, I'm slowly beginning to understand the concept and why I'm having problems with my Konoko model. When I applied the Automatic weighting, I was getting the error message: "Bone heat weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones", but I did nothing to remedy the problem. I need to do more study on this.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:06 pm

I've been busy doing MC skin requests, I haven't taken another look since Blender crashed beforeI don't have many skins left to do, so I'll take a look at Konoko this evening.

That error pops up when you use auto-rig and there are bones that have no vertices near enough to affect. I bet that was the ear bones that did that. It's usually them or the tail bone.

EdT

Post by EdT » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Well, my attempts to get Konoko in-game is still problematic. As you can see from the screenshot, when I add Konoko into the game her mesh is all messed up in the editor mode. However, once I'm in the game mode, she looks better, but, that left shoulder is still distorted and her feet are in the ground.

But the game does not crash when Konoko is the player or fighting against other AI.

EdT

Post by EdT » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Finally some progress!

I had some time and converted the original Konoko model into a single mesh. I was able to parent using Automatic weight and that made a big difference. I had to do some adjustments using weight painting. Overall Konoko looks much better, for example her feet does not sink into the ground.

Oddly enough, this Striker character from Oni, imported without converting to a single mesh.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Awesome! It's cool that you got them in! I still have to go back and check out why my otters crash OG. You seem to have figured the rigging process out better than I did. :lol: Someday, I'll have those otters working. Someday.
It's cool that you got both of those characters in though. Two not-animal characters in OG? Man, those folks who complain about not having humans are just going to have to preorder now, huh?

last

Post by last » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:08 pm

This is really good news. Not just for better konko model but maybe Andrige can get some inspiration out of that and finish he's bear clan charecter. Also he should stop playng skyrim and return to real world.

EdT

Post by EdT » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Korban3: The secret was getting the Parent with Automatic Weights to work with Konoko. Then as you said, use the pose position to adjust the weights of the bones. I still need to tweak the models and weights some more, but hopefully soon I will release the models.

For your otters, be sure that each bone is assigned to some vertices, if not, that will cause the game to crash.

last: Once the models are done, can you make the normals.tga for them? I'm on a Mac, so I can't use xnormal.

last

Post by last » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:08 am

Yeah i can make normals.tga for you, once the models are done.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:18 am

Something tells me that the chance of an easter egg oni-tribute bonus level/mod campaign is actually highly likely.

This thought fills me with happy childhood glee.

Better yet, if you make this an official goal and manage to get it working smoothly and make a donate button, I will contribute.