Resources! Tutorials! Guides!

Endoperez

Resources! Tutorials! Guides!

Post by Endoperez » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:53 pm

I got this great idea of having a single thread with links to all kinds of various modding-related resources. Preferably it should be something anyone can add to, so a Wiki page sounds great. However, first we should just collect some stuff.

I'll leave the first post like this in case I want to edit it and organise it so it links to some of those resources.

Endoperez

Re: Resources! Tutorials! Guides!

Post by Endoperez » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Animation Mentor hosts webinars, online seminars held by animation people. Here's one that should be interesting:

Anatomy of a Fight, by Dr Stuart Sumida.
Mr Sumida actually studies animal anatomy, which led to being Disney's consultant on e.g. Lion King, and does martial arts as a hobby, more or elss. The trailer, were so very, very "made in USA" I almost gave up on the spot. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the tone, the forced jokes, the attitude were things I had seen too many times before, and in the end, they didn't actually show how those would be applied in a fight. I've watched a few of the clips, and while I'm not sure I like the pacing, it does seem like there are lots of useful little tips in there.

Here's a list of Animation Mentor's other freebies. Note that they also offer an expensive online tutoring course, and I'm not connected to that in any way.
http://www.animationmentor.com/resources/

... aaand that's that. I only had that one thing to post, today, and since there wasn't any collectede place in which to post 3D resources and stuff, I made one. Feel free to contribute, comment etc.

last

Post by last » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Here is little help if enyone want's to get his custom object into object browser menu

All you have to do is go to Data\UI\spawner\objects
and open up one of .js files in text editor.
In this tutorial i open up O2.js

all objects are defined by 4 parameters
addItem('tab name','Name','.xml','icon name.png');
i petter give here a emty line

Code: Select all

addItem(' ',' ','','');
1. in what tab (in game item browser tab) / where is icon/picture folder located (folder in computer) they belong in my case its O2
2. what name i want to give my object in object browser menu
3. where is my object .xml file located
4. what picture/ icon i want to give my object

and now i can think it is cool to add in O2 tab a object that i call Block
all i have to do is find a suitable line and write there

addItem('O2','Block','Data/Objects/block.xml','block.png');
Note: all objects apear in that order in object browser menu like they are in this file

Now i need to make picture/icon for my Block
if i want my picture/icon without background i need to cut my object out of my picture so my icon background is 100% transparent
Now i save in right directory - my case it is Data\UI\spawner\thumbs\O2

Hope that helps

HoppzBrkly

Post by HoppzBrkly » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:00 am

I am having difficulty in getting my custom objects into the object browser. I followed the guide above but with no success. Has anything changed since October?

last

Post by last » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:09 am

No there are no changes. Next best thing is to open one of the .js files and make coppy and paste one of the addItem lines and edit that line.

HoppzBrkly

Post by HoppzBrkly » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:18 am

I'll give that a try. I'm sure I am missing something.

Am I able to create my own tab with the 'addTab' method?

EDIT: Still not working.

Under Data\UI\spawner\objects I have a js file named HoppzBrkly that contains;

addTab('HoppzBrkly');

addItem('HoppzBrkly','Cube','Data/Custom/HoppzBrkly/Objects/dev_cube.xml','dev_default.png');
Also, under Data\UI\spawner\thumbs\HoppzBrkly I have my dev_default.png (100x100)

Do you see anything wrong?

last

Post by last » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:50 am

Yes you are able to add tabs. But you need to edit spawner.html for it.
It isn't a hard thing to do at all.
First open spawner.html with notepad now find line

<script type='text/javascript' src='objects/objects.js'></script>
Make coppy and paste from that and now change this line you just pasted there into something like this

<script type='text/javascript' src='objects/here goes your file name.js'></script>
Now save and exit this file.
Now go to Data\UI\spawner\objects folder and make a new text document.txt there
but rename it into "here goes your file name.js"
Now open this "here goes your file name.js" file with notepad and add there this line first

addTab('your tab name goes here');
Note ther are 2 ' there

And after that line you can add there all your custom items you want into there. But keep in mind that you need to make some changes in your addItem(' ',' ','',''); line.
Here is example

addItem('your tab name goes here','Block','Data/Objects/block.xml','block.png');
There is 1 thing you may want to do next.
Now go to Data\UI\spawner\thumbs folfer and make there a folder named your tab name goes here
Now save and run Overgrowth and there should be a new tab in itembrowser with a tab named your tab name goes here. Now all the icons you greate save here into this folder

HoppzBrkly

Post by HoppzBrkly » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks! All I had to do was edit the spawner.html and everything else worked perfectly.