Why does my custom model not work

KiiNGz

Why does my custom model not work

Post by KiiNGz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:23 am

Please help everytime i try load my custom model it crashes within an instant and doesnt give me any feedback on why its crashing in the console. I just need to no if it works on anyones PC or if anyone knows how to fix it. :(
EDIT: Fixed
Last edited by KiiNGz on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

last

Re: Why does my custom model not work

Post by last » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:09 am

I can tell you there is something wrong with your model.
I tryed to open your model up with blender and it looked OK but I also tryed to open it up with Sculptrist and it gave me this error:
To many triangles connected to an edge (max 2)
And that program was'nt able to load that model up

I did little google shearch and i was able to find this person had same problem as you in here
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... ptris-help and they give him a tutorial to solve hes problem http://www.moddb.com/engines/blender-ga ... ifold-mesh

Hope that helped

last

Post by last » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:23 am

ok i had little time and i woked out objects in that cene that have problems:
chair, cups, fire extinguisher.

Also here is little hint; brake this cene down into objects right now it has serious problems with textures -sorry it don't look nice at all
in this screenshot i did'nt have shadows calculated
in this screenshot i did'nt have shadows calculated
Also here is little hint for textures: All OG textures are transparent. i use 80% transparent textures that means onley 20% is wisible. This means if you don't use transparent textures they shine weird when shadows are calculated

Also upload here working obj file but i have removet there all those object that did'nt work.
office_noteboard.zip
(107.93 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Attachments
and here are shadows calculated
and here are shadows calculated

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:11 am

As Last said, you should add transparency to all textures. On the Cubemap and Cubemapobj shaders, transparency/alpha is used to mark shininess, not transparency. There might not be glass shaders yet, but you might be able to use plant shaders for transparency. Side effects may include your windows moving in the wind...

The "too many errors connected to an edge" error means your models have some of their geometry done in a way that the software doesn't support. Blender calls them "non-manifold edges", 3DS Max calls them "T-polys" or "T-faces" or "T-edges" or something. They work in 3D modeling software, but often cause problems with normal maps, so sculpting software and games using normal maps might have trouble with them.

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:06 pm

maby he intended to just export the notice board but exported the whole scene by mistake.

anyway, manifold geometry means the object has a uniform surface where the loops of edges flow cosistantly around the shape, your geometry is kinda manifold, there are just some bits that have gone wrong:

the cup has its verts merged under the rim:

the chair and the fire extingisher have faces on the inside of the mesh:

but you don't need to make all your models out of a single piece of manifold geometry, for example, i'd build the fire extinguisher out of several objects, like this:

http://www.markstockton.com/forum/extinguisher.obj (save target as)

its simpler that way.

KiiNGz

Post by KiiNGz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:06 pm

So when I exported the office_noteboard it also exported the object on the other scenes?
Thanks everyone for helping me im gonna try again with my knowledge now and see what happens :D

EDIT: It worked :D The reasone my game kept crashing is because when I exported the noteboard it also exported the other objects in the different scenes. To export only one object in a scene you have to select the object by right clicking it and export as a .obj on the left hand side untick materials and then tick and selection only at the top of the column. This makes sure that you only have the object you selected to be exported :D

And thanks everyone for looking at the other models and telling me what was wrong with them im gonna have to fix them up now :oops:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:51 am

KiiNGz wrote:EDIT: It worked :D The reasone my game kept crashing is because when I exported the noteboard it also exported the other objects in the different scenes. To export only one object in a scene you have to select the object by right clicking it and export as a .obj on the left hand side untick materials and then tick and selection only at the top of the column. This makes sure that you only have the object you selected to be exported :D
I think that means you're using Blender then. It's the only app I know in which you select with the right mouse button! :D