Getting started with modding Overgrowth

TorQueMoD

Getting started with modding Overgrowth

Post by TorQueMoD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:23 am

Hey all!

I'm completely new to this forum having just pre-ordered the game at alpha 159. I was interested in learning how to start modding the game and was pointed in the direction of these tutorials (Thank you Last):

Setting up models for importing:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11227#p128225

Mapping Basics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnHLagH ... r_embedded

Control Reference List:
http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Control_Reference

Exporting a simple model from Blender:
http://www.moddb.com/games/overgrowth/t ... ing-models

Level Terrain tutorial (with incorrect shadows):
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12568

Great looking low poly grass tutorial I made (not specific to OG):

I'll be adding to this list as I find more tutorials or learn more and eventually I plan to make a few video tutorials on the basics of modding with the Overgrowth engine. If you know of any tutorials that are useful for beginners, please post them here and I'll add them to the list.
Last edited by TorQueMoD on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aaron

Re: Getting started with modding Overgrowth

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 am

I think this is a great idea; I'm going to go ahead and move this post to the modding subforum.

Edit: Now stickied!
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:59 am

Excellent idea! A sticky for this would be awsome :)

TorQueMoD

Post by TorQueMoD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:36 am

I was thinking of posting in the modding forum, though I also thought it might be nice to have it in the Secret forum due to the fact that its the first place one would tend to look after pre-ordering the game. Is it possible to have a referring link there too?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:46 am

TorQueMoD wrote:I was thinking of posting in the modding forum, though I also thought it might be nice to have it in the Secret forum due to the fact that its the first place one would tend to look after pre-ordering the game. Is it possible to have a referring link there too?
Honestly things get drowned out quickly in the SPF, and this topic is really entirely modding based.
The modding subforum is nice and visible, and far less 'busy', not to mention there are enough stickies in the SPF already.

Anyone with half a mind to know that they want to look for modding tutorials will look in the 'modding' subforum.

TorQueMoD

Post by TorQueMoD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Ok cool.

BotheredMe

Post by BotheredMe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:35 pm

I'm going to attempt a first person mod to give the game a Mirror's Edge feel, I'm new to modding so I thought I'd start small. Any advice on the subject?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:47 pm

BotheredMe wrote:I'm going to attempt a first person mod to give the game a Mirror's Edge feel, I'm new to modding so I thought I'd start small. Any advice on the subject?
Honestly, I think that checking out what some other people have done with the camera scripts might be a good place to start, it should give you some ideas. There was a fairly recent first person mod that might have a lot of good info!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 am

Agh, why'd you even link that? It's so... bug like as it is and I haven't even updated it recently.
I'm hoping that once this class assignment clears up that I'll have more time to work on the first person mod as well as the gun mod (Do I smell a mod merge in the future? Would make updating the two easier for me).
I also have a silly finals project to do |:\ Ugh, school. Always wasting the time I have for non-school things :evil:

BotheredMe

Post by BotheredMe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:11 am

Thanks for the feedback and the link, Anton.
And Korban, the mod you are making looks great. Tried it out, still a bit buggy but otherwise it's awesome. Oh and I hope Dominance is turning out well for you :D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Haha, thanks. And Dominance is going well. My class final was due today, and even though it was crap-unfinished, it's out of the way and I can get back to Dominance and some OG modding in my spare time. I'm going to do a few things with the clothing setup and then get the second alpha put up. I'll have to figure out how to do a workable frame cap for the users with really fast machines, sometime too.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Hey there!
I'm hoping this thread is still alive...
I got an idea to "shoop da woop"-ize the cool eye lightning zap of death in a170.
I got as far as limiting the amount of zaps to one at a time (it will zap the closest guy), changing the range from 20 to 100 and even playing the "IMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR BLAARGH" clip.
My problem: Right now the clip starts playing and the zap starts at the same time which looks really retarded. I wanted to know how I can make a bit of a delay (like Thread.sleep(mlls) in java).
Also if I spam "F" the sounds clips will overlap and create a loud, messy, incoherent jumble so I also wanted to know if there was a way to stop a clip after playing it.

(I'm going to change the "metal_sparks" color to blue so it looks even more "shoop da woop"-y )

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:17 pm

That's a neat Idea. Could you make a separate thread for it so people can comment on it? This thread is really only there for resources, not for mod ideas.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Johannes wrote:That's a neat Idea. Could you make a separate thread for it so people can comment on it? This thread is really only there for resources, not for mod ideas.
Sure thing!
I also just made a video showing what i've done so far.
I'll link up the new thread when I've got the video up so people know where to go.

(viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14727))

Turkeydipking

Post by Turkeydipking » Thu May 22, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks for making this a thread and making it a sticky! Should be very helpful to a lot of people!
If I may suggest to add a tutorial however I recorded a video on importing custom weapons to actually use them in game - a bunch of people found it helpful so maybe you guys would as well?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PCkFXNYeDs
Thanks again and hopefully Ill be posting a bunch of mods soon (: