[SOLVED]Custom Object - Texture Problem

HoppzBrkly

[SOLVED]Custom Object - Texture Problem

Post by HoppzBrkly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:32 am

Hello, I've had Overgrowth for a couple months and have decided to start creating custom content. Currently I am using Blender to create an object file for use within the game. The texture (.tga) does not appear on the object which is completely white or black. Going to the Overgrowth Wiki I looked at the custom model guide, but am having a hard time following because I am using a different mesh modeler. I know I am generating the XML correctly because I successfully tested my texture against an Overgrowth model. My guess is something is going wrong with my UV coordinates. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Last edited by HoppzBrkly on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

last

Re: Custom Object - Texture Problem

Post by last » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:50 pm

there is a video how to get a working model into OG. yes it uses blanck textures but it does show you how to generate automatic UV coordinates. yes i know that sometimes they are peace of ... but they work. even when you make your own texture.

Oh and when you want to go pro with your textures you should use little different xml file format
here is a post about it viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11227&start=15#p143364 (last example there is new xml file format)

HoppzBrkly

Post by HoppzBrkly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks!

I believe I found the video you were talking about at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ttXmlufoM. The video was easy to follow and I was able to correctly import my object into Overgrowth.

I have two new questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1) last, in your different object file what exactly are these supposed to point to and what do they do?

Code: Select all

<DetailMaps>
   <DetailMap colorpath=".tga" normalpath=".tga" materialpath=".xml" />   
   <DetailMap colorpath=".tga" normalpath=".tga" materialpath=.xml" />
</DetailMaps>
2) That brings up another issue I was having when trying to use custom terrain from L3DT because I noticed they were in that xml file as well. However, with my custom terrain I noticed that my terrain would be placed very low to the point where the character couldn't reach parts of the terrain because it goes below an invisible barrier the player can't go through.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Those refer to the detail textures. Terrain is a big mesh with several different types of surface, and detail textures are those surfaces. In one map, those surfaces might be grassland, rocky grass, mountainside, and snowy rocks on top of the mountain, and those would be your four detail textures.

The blog has several articles about detail textures and related things, but the first article is the most relevant, others just explain things the engine already does, usually automatically.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/12/Detail-textures

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/12/Detail- ... r-matching
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/12/Fading-detail-textures
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/02/Making-terrain-textures

HoppzBrkly

Post by HoppzBrkly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:46 pm

So I use the color map to pick where I want the detail textures to go, and the detail textures are what actually show up on the mesh? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct how many detail textures can you specify?

last, I found your video on custom terrain. I was wondering why you add a point to elevation 5000 and elevation 0.

last

Post by last » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:41 pm

HoppzBrkly wrote:So I use the color map to pick where I want the detail textures to go, and the detail textures are what actually show up on the mesh? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct how many detail textures can you specify?

last, I found your video on custom terrain. I was wondering why you add a point to elevation 5000 and elevation 0.
those .tga are file paths, here is a example
<DetailMap colorpath="Data/Textures/Buildings/Tiling/InterlockingStone/InterlockingStone_color.tga" normalpath="Data/Textures/Buildings/Tiling/InterlockingStone/InterlockingStone_normal.tga" materialpath="Data/Materials/rocks.xml" />

I belive it is really good to explayn you what does texture map do and what detail maps does.
If you look that rabbit head object (the one that is in red desert map) in editor mode you can see that it has a texture and when you scale him you can see that some textures don't scale. that's because they are detail maps.
there can be maximum of 4 detail maps + 1 texture map that actually makes all detail maps into it's color. this goes with all the objects and all terrains.
those 4 detail maps location on your object/terrain is deffined with wheight map colors. there are 4 of them. reed green blue and black. you can allways leave some colors out but in xml file you still have to define 4 detile maps

Now that 5000 and 0 in my video is helping me to make right gray scale height map. that helps to avoid that "terrain to low" problem you have.
so L3DT heightmaps are to dark and to wight. so i set 0 to blackest black and 5000 wightest wight.
Now i can start makeing a terrain and i try to avoid to go deeper than 900 or so and keep in mind that 20 is 1 height of rabbot. So you can still make (5000-900)/20 = 205 times higher mountains than rabbot is