four ferns for free

Wobak

four ferns for free

Post by Wobak » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:58 pm

hi, i just began playing and modding overgrowth.
i decided to get some fern models made like a year ago ingame as a start. it worked out pretty well and here they are:

4Ferns.zip
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
hopefully they will be used in a few maps in the future :)

ive put icons and an updated O2 list in the archive.
if you just want the objects, copy "Wobak" into custom.
if you want them added to the objectlist, extract "Data" to Overgrowth.

i also got the textures in 2048px resolution if anybody wants to make giant ferns...
the third ferns alphachannel could be improved, i will probably do that later.

Endoperez

Re: four ferns for free

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Nice!

It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but did you adjust the diffuse map's alpha channel? It doubles as the specular map, and since that's nonstandard many people miss it.

Wobak

Post by Wobak » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 pm

i read that its the specularmap but thought that didnt apply to plants because they used the alpha already for the transparency. so i can put specularinformation in the alphachannel? does the game make pixels with 100% transparency transparent and uses weaker alpha as specular?
oh, i have another question: do plants need an additional model for the lightmap?

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:01 pm

cool, always good to have another modeller in the comunity.
Wobak wrote:i read that its the specularmap but thought that didnt apply to plants because they used the alpha already for the transparency. so i can put specularinformation in the alphachannel? does the game make pixels with 100% transparency transparent and uses weaker alpha as specular?
oh, i have another question: do plants need an additional model for the lightmap?
its all in the reference guide ^^

the 2 shaders that can do transparency, store 'transparency info' in the alpha channel of the diffuse/color texture.

the CubemapAlpha shader stores its 'specular info' in the alpha channel of the normal map, but the Plant shader can't do this.

side note:
its easy for david to copy/paste the shiney code from the CubemapAlpha shader into the Plant shader, he did it when i made my first assets for OG and i included it with them, but it doesn't work anymore. O_O

would like to see one included with the alphas that is up to date.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Ah, I had forgotten plants worked differently. Sorry about the confusion.