Scale guidance for mapping

DangerDinosaur

Scale guidance for mapping

Post by DangerDinosaur » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi all, I'm completely new to the world of Overgrowth. I just preordered tonight.

My question is about mapping - is there any guidance for scale? For example - in UDK the player character is 96 generic units tall so in 3dsmax you can make a box 96 units tall to use as reference. What is the equivalent for Overgrowth?

I might be jumping the gun a little; the alpha is still downloading, but I'm keen to get started.

Thanks in advance.

Korban3

Re: Scale guidance for mapping

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Well, the best way to do it right now is to find one of the character's .obj files and import it to get a scalar reference. They are located under Data/Models somewhere.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:53 am

Well you can just place a character in the game. In Overgrowth you can place a character, work on your level and then hit a button (8) to instantly go into play mode to see how the level feels and how it looks compared to your character.

All objects should have a correct scale when they are first created, that's their default scale and the scale they where made to be used at (but of course you can resize them in the editor).

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 pm

He's talking about modeling units in e.g. 3DS Max - that is, how to find out the correct scale for models in the modeling program, before they're imported to the game.

As was said, you can open a basic character from the game data. Just make sure it's not the Whaleman because he's whale-scale.