[Map] Turner's Castle (Updated 2-20-12)

Gogg.B1

[Map] Turner's Castle (Updated 2-20-12)

Post by Gogg.B1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:01 pm

[Updated 1-29-2012]

So I've been working on this map for a while now and i think its about done. It has puzzles, fights, adventure, weapons, a bit of a story. Hopefully you'll enjoy it and if you have any advice please let me know, I'd appreciate it and maybe I could make an update at some point.

Also there are 3 easter eggs, Can you find them?

This is the story of how Turner took his castle back from a bunch of bandits after years away exploring the world.

Here's the castle. I wont reveal too much in the pictures, since pictures arent as cool as playing it.
Overgrowth 2012-01-27 16-18-33-10.jpg
Overgrowth 2012TurnersCastle 2.jpg
OvergrowthTurnersCastle 3.jpg
Overgrowth TurnersCastle 4.jpg
OvergrowthTurnersCastle 5.jpg
Overgrowth TurnersCastle 6.jpg
so here's the link for the map TurnersCastle.
Just download and extract into your Overgrowth install folder (Where the .exe that starts the game is located) and merge the data folder. I've included a few objects from the map if anyone wants to use them.
Data.zip
Updated 1-29-2012 (Includes Lite Version)
(71.53 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
or just copy this .XML to your levels folder in your Overgrowth 'Data' folder
TurnersCastle.xml
Updated 1-29-2012
(254.28 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Essentially the same thing just less enemies a few 'just for show' details removed so it should run a bit better on most computers.
TurnersCastleLite.xml
Updated 1-29-2012
(239.14 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Updated Version with some new Weapons from the alpha
Just extract to your Overgrowth install folder
Start the game and type "TurnersCastleW.xml" or "TurnersCastleLiteW.xml" into the Load Custom map text bar and press 'Load' to play it
TurnersCastleW.zip
Updated 2-20-2012
New Weapons from the Alpha
Includes Regular and Lite versions
(67.7 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Thanks a lot Wolfire, This game is amazing and i had a lot of fun making this map. Its really cool to be able to Create and share creations like this. Keep up the great work.

Also if this is alright to put here, check out my Twitch.tv channel for videos and live streams of maps that I've been working on, Tutorials and Gameplay. Here's the link http://www.twitch.tv/madasterd
Last edited by Gogg.B1 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:30 am, edited 11 times in total.

sammyrye

Re: [Map] Turners Castle

Post by sammyrye » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:04 pm

What kind of framerate do you get when playing this map? I got like 12 FPS. I went to edit mode and got rid of all the enemies, and even changed the terrain in the XML, and I still couldn't get a good framerate.

I played through it and had fun, it's a very cool map. I love the concept too, coming back to your castle after an adventure only to find it's been taken over, and you'll have to fight to get it back. Just a small story element like that made it more fun, to me.

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:40 pm

sammyrye wrote:What kind of framerate do you get when playing this map? I got like 12 FPS. I went to edit mode and got rid of all the enemies, and even changed the terrain in the XML, and I still couldn't get a good framerate.

I played through it and had fun, it's a very cool map. I love the concept too, coming back to your castle after an adventure only to find it's been taken over, and you'll have to fight to get it back. Just a small story element like that made it more fun, to me.
cool i'm glad you had fun with it, i didn't think it would be too laggy. i get good frames per second for the most part, maybe lowering your texture detail or the resolution a bit would help. but maybe i should look into releasing a lite version.

what's your computers specs?
mine are
Intel i5 3.2
4gb 1333 ram
560ti 2gb

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Here's a version of the map with less enemies and with a few unnecessary items removed for better performance. Not much is changed in this version but the frame rate should be more consistent. Any feedback on either version would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the map

Updated main post with the lite version
Last edited by Gogg.B1 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Love this level. I just added it to my menu mod, so hopefully more people will play it and give you some feedback!

It definitely lags for me too, I lowered the quality on my computer just to run it better, but I don't entirely think it's your fault, the newer versions of Overgrowth have been pretty laggy for me since they included throwing weapons. Hopefully there are some optimizations on those soon.

Great work!

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Anton wrote:Love this level. I just added it to my menu mod, so hopefully more people will play it and give you some feedback!

It definitely lags for me too, I lowered the quality on my computer just to run it better, but I don't entirely think it's your fault, the newer versions of Overgrowth have been pretty laggy for me since they included throwing weapons. Hopefully there are some optimizations on those soon.

Great work!

Awesome man thanks a lot, glad you like it and its really cool to have it on your menu mod cause that thing's amazing. but yeah the lagging in this game is interesting just because it was hard for me to pinpoint what exactly makes it lag, I'm sure there are a ton of factors but there's no doubt that enemies with weapons wont help the frame rate so i just made a lite version with less enemies. hopefully that works better for people...so lets get some speed runs goin! haha
Last edited by Gogg.B1 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Gogg.B1 wrote:
Anton wrote:Love this level. I just added it to my menu mod, so hopefully more people will play it and give you some feedback!

Great work!

Awesome man thanks a lot, glad you like it and its really cool to have it on your menu mod cause that thing's amazing. but yeah the lagging in this game is interesting just because it was hard for me to pinpoint what exactly really makes this game lag, I'm sure there are a ton of factors but there's no doubt that enemies with weapons wont help the frame rate so i just made a lite version with less enemies. hopefully that works better for people...so lets get some speed runs goin! haha
Yeah, the lite version works much better for me. Instead of taking 35 minutes to finish, it only took me 15 this time... I'm adding the lite version into the mod now...

syntax

Post by syntax » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:30 am

This map lags reeaaaaalllyy bad on my PC (even the lite version), unplayable FPS. I get a solid 60 w/ VSync normally. 560 Ti 1GB SLI. I think it is a memory bottleneck.

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:33 am

syntax wrote:This map lags reeaaaaalllyy bad on my PC (even the lite version), unplayable FPS. I get a solid 60 w/ VSync normally. 560 Ti 1GB SLI. I think it is a memory bottleneck.
hmm that's no good, well i just released an update on the main post that should fix this. Now on the regular version i get 100-80 Fps on average with some dips and 150-100 with the Lite version (Vsync off).
Tested it at 1280x720 resolution (fullscreen) and the Texture reduce set to '2' in the Config.ini. Hopefully the updates work for you, let me know if it helped thanks man

sammyrye

Post by sammyrye » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Just tried the lite version.

Whatever you did seemed to do the trick, I averaged about 50 FPS compared to maybe 15 when I played yesterday. I noticed the lighting seems different- on the first version I had a lot of what looked to be lighting glitches. Parts of walls being black, strange looking bump map stuff, etc. When I loaded up the lite version, first thing I noticed was that it just looked a lot *better*, because of the lighting. Maybe my computer had just messed up building lightmaps the first time or something (if that is even done at run time, I don't know).

Anyways, the map is now really playable and fun.

And those rabbit toilets/sink are a really creative use of default objects!

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 pm

sammyrye wrote:Just tried the lite version.

Whatever you did seemed to do the trick, I averaged about 50 FPS compared to maybe 15 when I played yesterday. I noticed the lighting seems different- on the first version I had a lot of what looked to be lighting glitches. Parts of walls being black, strange looking bump map stuff, etc. When I loaded up the lite version, first thing I noticed was that it just looked a lot *better*, because of the lighting. Maybe my computer had just messed up building lightmaps the first time or something (if that is even done at run time, I don't know).

Anyways, the map is now really playable and fun.

And those rabbit toilets/sink are a really creative use of default objects!
Awesome i'm glad the problem seems to be solved. interesting that you mention the 'black wall'
thing cause i noticed that too and i couldn't figure out why it happens while creating items sometimes. It could have had something to do with one of the times the game crashed while i was making the level or just some other random thing.
This is my first map so i don't really know too much about how this game ticks but i did learn a bit just adding and removing things while watching my frame-rate so hopefully this update works for everyone. I could always make the lite version even liter without sacrificing too much of the gameplay, if anyone would find it useful please just let me know.
Anyways, thanks a lot for trying the map and taking the time to give some feedback, glad you enjoyed it and the objects

djoslin

Re: [Map] Turner's Castle (Updated 1-29-12)

Post by djoslin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I downloaded your new version to try out as I couldn't get the earlier one to run at a decent speed. Unfortunately I'm still having severe framerate issues, I tried playing at 7 fps but I didn't get to see much of the map. I guess I need some new parts for my computer or something as I can't get a lot of the more complex maps working.

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 pm

djoslin wrote:I downloaded your new version to try out as I couldn't get the earlier one to run at a decent speed. Unfortunately I'm still having severe framerate issues, I tried playing at 7 fps but I didn't get to see much of the map. I guess I need some new parts for my computer or something as I can't get a lot of the more complex maps working.
Ooof, 7 is pretty rough, what are your computers specs?

djoslin

Post by djoslin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 pm

2.41 ghz
2gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

I suppose it is getting dated now but overgrowth is the only game that has had trouble running. :|

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 pm

djoslin wrote:2.41 ghz
2gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

I suppose it is getting dated now but overgrowth is the only game that has had trouble running. :|
ohh i had the same graphics card till i spilled water into my computer and fried it and my old motherboard, good gfx card but i never had a chance to test OG with it.
i know that since overgrowth is in the alpha stages some things are still un-optimized so they put more strain on computers, i've also heard that since the Throwing weapon feature has been added its put a little extra stress on some systems. so i'm not sure maybe a bit more ram might help with overgrowth. kinda makes me wonder of those Physx card things from a while ago ever caught on.
well hopefully it works for most people, i still need more feedback. maybe i could make a version for you that has no enemies if that would help, cause right now even the lite version has 2 or 3 enemies