[Map] Turner's Castle (Updated 2-20-12)

CaptainCornelius

Re: [Map] Turner's Castle (Updated 1-29-12)

Post by CaptainCornelius » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:04 am

Hey so i havn't downloaded a custom level before. ummm Im on a mac so i downloaded the TurnersCastle.xml. So i go into a level say red shards. And then i press esc to open the edit menus and then i find the data folder and then the levels folder where all the standard levels are and then i just drag in TurnersCastle.xml? because it wont go into the folder..hmmm what do i do?

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:06 am

Oh you're on mac huh, well the easiest way to install custom maps is to use the SUMLauncher that automatically updates your alphas and has Anton's Custom map mod built in so you can just run it and it'll install the latest version of this map too and also gives every custom map a nice icon so it looks very good and every map is just 1 click away (and yes it works with mac) here's the link
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14201

Though I'd highly recommend doing it that way since that SUMLauncher is so handy, and clean about all this. but if you want to do it manually you have to go to the folder where you installed Overgrowth (on your hard drive not your desktop) i'm not sure what the install Directory is for macs ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Overgrowth.exe" is what it is for windows, so should be similar) but if you cant find it you should be able to Options click on your icon that starts Overgrowth and hit "show in folder" or something like that.
Then you'll be in your overgrowth folder and at the top you'll see a 'Data' folder go in there and you'll see a bunch of folders and one of them will say 'levels' and just copy and paste TurnersCastle.Xml into that Levels folder and you're done. installing it isn't done from in game. but once that's in your levels folder, start the game and just type "turnerscastle.xml" at the Bottom of the games start page and push 'load' and everything should start. Hope this helps, let me know how it goes and thanks for trying out the map

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:13 am

While I fully support the menu mod ;) to place custom levels on your mac:

Right click on Overgrowth, and choose "Show Package Contents" then open these folders: Contents/MacOS/Data/Levels and put the file inside there. Then, when you start Overgrowth, you type in the name of the map.xml and press enter.

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:27 am

Anton wrote:While I fully support the menu mod ;) to place custom levels on your mac:

Right click on Overgrowth, and choose "Show Package Contents" then open these folders: Contents/MacOS/Data/Levels and put the file inside there. Then, when you start Overgrowth, you type in the name of the map.xml and press enter.

awesome thanks, i didnt really know what i was talking about :lol:

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 am

Gogg.B1 wrote:
Anton wrote:While I fully support the menu mod ;) to place custom levels on your mac:

awesome thanks, i didnt really know what i was talking about :lol:
no worries... I'm always glad to help out (and am on a Mac too... so people can always come to me for Mac questions...)

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:52 am

ahh very good to know,my friend has a mac and i want his to get this game. so i might have a few questions for you in a few days

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:34 am

Update with the new Weapons soon, feedback and suggestions would be great, thanks guys

sTownR

Post by sTownR » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:25 am

I have tried the map yesterday and it looks really nice but i couldn't play it that long because the fps rate never was very low (7-15).

Please give me your opinion on whats the limiting factor when playing complex maps or with more than 5 enemies on screen at once not to mention the fps drops when theres blood effects (downloading blood mod atm).

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (512 MB GDDR3) !?
Win 7 Enterprise 64-Bit

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:11 pm

To be honest I'm not really sure what makes the game run slowly sometimes. This is my first map so i was kinda adding and removing things to see how it affected the frame rate.

Adding a weapon into a map even if no one is using it can take about 20 - 10 fps off for me (depending on the detail of the map or amount of weapons already ingame)
Characters will slow the frame rate for sure and the ragdoll effect can make it drop heavily mainly in detailed maps or when fighting multiple enemies.
From what i can tell, adding regular objects even if they're large doesn't seem to have much of an effect on frame rate too much. most objects don't seem to have too large of an effect on frame rate regardless of the resolution of their texture but i did notice certain items did noticeable effect for me (such as the ArenaStairs Object)
Hard to tell if how the objects touch each other has any effect on performance

That is just from my experience, I'd say that your specs are quite good but you may want to lower your detail settings. the easiest way to do this is to use the SumLauncher here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14201 its gives you a very clean options page where you can change the graphics settings as well as giving you access to a community map pack
and allowing you to update alphas easily and quickly without needing to install the whole thing all over again

or you can do it manually by editing the Config file that's located in your 'My Documents' then in the 'Wolfire' folder if your using windows ( something like C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data)
and edit the "Config.ini" in Notepad and change the "texture_reduce: " The higher the number there the less strain the textures will put on your system. (up to 5 I think)

Anyways I made a version of the map for you that has no enemies or weapons in it so you can test that out. Just download it and put it in your levels folder in your Overgrowth install folder (something like C:\Program Files\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data\Levels), then start the game and type in "Turnerscastle0.xml" into the text box on the main menu then hit 'Load' and you'll be good to go.

You can always add Weapons and Enemies with the editor
TurnersCastle0.xml
No Weapons, No Enemies.
(234.33 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Last edited by Gogg.B1 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sTownR

Post by sTownR » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:13 am

Im running the game in 800x600 and texture_reduce was already set to 4 - Ive changed it to 5 now and the map runs better than before (I ran the older version 1024x768 last time).

I must say that its really fun to play!
But theres some small "bug" Ive encountered - not necessarily a problem of the map itself but by jumping beneath a wall i got stuck in it and it became invisible:

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:00 pm

good, that's good that you're getting better performance. Thanks a lot i'm glad that you enjoyed the map, as for that glitch it could have just been getting wedged in the wrong place but i cant really tell exactly where it happened, but I've updated the 'TurnersCastle0.xml' in the above post to fix a bit of a glitch that i noticed and a few other minor changes. if you have any other questions or suggestions please feel free to let me know.
by the way I'm working on 2 new maps, one large and one a bit smaller still hard to say when they will be done yet. also I've been wanting to make a version of Turners castle with the newer rat and rabbit weapons and I was also thinking of maybe adding in some of these Custom weapons that have been popping up lately (of course with permission and proper crediting) i wonder if people would like that

Gogg.B1

Re: [Map] Turner's Castle (Updated 2-20-12)

Post by Gogg.B1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:58 pm

First post updated with an update to the map that adds some of the new weapons from the recent alpha for anyone that's interested. not much else has been changed in the map, just a few small things. Both the Lite and the Normal versions are included in the .Zip called "TurnersCastleW". hope you enjoy

jimlii

Post by jimlii » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Hey guys I'm new to this game (just bought it) and would like to play this map. I'm not sure how to get it to work, however. I downloaded it and then typed TurnersCastleW.xml into the load area, but it said it wasn't found. Thanks.

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Hey glad to hear that you got the alpha, so you downloaded the new weapons version TurnersCastleW.zip right? so what you want to do is navigate to your Overgrowth install folder which should look something like this 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfire' once your there you should see a folder called Overgrowth and thats where your game is installed. so now open the 'TurnersCastleW.zip' and extract it into that Overgrowth folder and that will put the Level files where they need to be. you want the .XML files in that .Zip to end up in your Overgrowth 'Levels' folder ('C:\Program Files\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data\Levels' if you have windows). hopefully that helped, let me know if you're still having trouble.

You could also install the SumLauncher that updates your alpha every week and comes with a very nice map menu mod that gives easy one click access to this map and many many others, check it out here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14201

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Gogg.B1 wrote:Hey glad to hear that you got the alpha, so you downloaded the new weapons version TurnersCastleW.zip right? so what you want to do is navigate to your Overgrowth install folder which should look something like this 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfire' once your there you should see a folder called Overgrowth and thats where your game is installed. so now open the 'TurnersCastleW.zip' and extract it into that Overgrowth folder and that will put the Level files where they need to be. you want the .XML files in that .Zip to end up in your Overgrowth 'Levels' folder ('C:\Program Files\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data\Levels' if you have windows). hopefully that helped, let me know if you're still having trouble.

You could also install the SumLauncher that updates your alpha every week and comes with a very nice map menu mod that gives easy one click access to this map and many many others, check it out here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14201

(just so you know, I have already updated the menu mod with these newest versions of the maps. :) I renamed them though, so I replaced the older versions... I hope that's ok...