[Challenge Map] The Overgrowth Leg Cannon Master Challenge

Anton
pretty cool guy

[Challenge Map] The Overgrowth Leg Cannon Master Challenge

Post by Anton » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:43 pm

I've decided to put together a fun Overgrowth challenge for anyone interested. It's:

The Overgrowth Leg Cannon Master Challenge

I liked all the speed run maps, but that kinda died out, so I've decided to make a new kind of challenge...

The Rules are as follows:
1. You must play 10 contiguous rounds, and record them as a group.
2. Leg cannons only, any other attack disqualifies you
3. Entries must be submitted in video form, then embedded in this thread
4. Any tampering with the level (parameters etc), use of alpha keys or mods is prohibited,
5. (Updated) The challenger who scores the most kills (out of 40 total possible) in the least amount of time will be the "Leg Cannon Master"
6. The winner will receive a gift of the next Humble Bundle that immediately follows this event (from me).
7. You have 4 weeks from today, plus the time to the following Humble Bundle to submit.

Good luck, and game on!
oglegcannonchallenge.xml
The Overgrowth Leg Cannon Master Challenge!
(11.6 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
CURRENT LEADER: Lux Æterna
23 Kills in 1:34

Video to beat:

EDIT:
I obviously can't compete in this myself, but I made an "Exhibition" demonstration.

My current record with 21 kills in 2:08

SteelRaven7

Re: [Challenge Map] The Overgrowth Leg Cannon Master Challen

Post by SteelRaven7 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Let's do this!
It's bloody hard though... sob.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Never tried ONLY leg cannon, but eh, it's worth a go I guess.

I didn't mean I could beat 10 armed enemies with ONLY leg cannon though. Sounds impossible, but then again... I always love a challenge. :D

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Jaz wrote:Never tried ONLY leg cannon, but eh, it's worth a go I guess.

I didn't mean I could beat 10 armed enemies with ONLY leg cannon though. Sounds impossible, but then again... I always love a challenge. :D
Challenges are fun, I might lighten up the rules if it turns out to be too hard... (Also, I might have to add a "no Mods" clause...)

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Well, I installed a mod like an hour ago for more blood, but that was just for screenshots. I'm gonna uninstall it in a minute, plus it doesn't affect fighting anyway.

Btw, how laggy is the challenge map?

I don't really want to have to record if the map itself is laggy already. It'd kill my computer, badly. My computer's pretty awesome but considering Overgrowth's barely been optimised yet, I wouldn't be surprised if my computer crashed while running both the game and a video recorder.

E: Oh and what happens if combat's changed in an update within the next 4 weeks?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Jaz wrote:Well, I installed a mod like an hour ago for more blood, but that was just for screenshots. I'm gonna uninstall it in a minute, plus it doesn't affect fighting anyway.

Btw, how laggy is the challenge map?

I don't really want to have to record if the map itself is laggy already. It'd kill my computer, badly. My computer's pretty awesome but considering Overgrowth's barely been optimised yet, I wouldn't be surprised if my computer crashed while running both the game and a video recorder.

E: Oh and what happens if combat's changed in an update within the next 4 weeks?

These are some good questions, and hard to quantify, but here's my take on it:

The blood mod (and all of it's components) that don't affect combat are fine, it's mostly about making sure that the combat is fair to anyone competing.

If combat is changed in a way that affects this challenge, I will do a before and after award (or multiple) for each phase of development.

The map is designed to be as easy as possible for any computer. The map contains 4 enemies, 4 spears, and one player. There are no other objects on the map, and no detail objects, so it should run smoothly on anyone's computer that can run the game.

I had another thought, and let me know what you guys think: I'm thinking that it's currently too hard to actually "win" on a regular basis, so, what if the scoring is the most kills through the 10 levels? So, out of a possible 40 kills ("points"), the highest number of kills through the 10 rounds is the calculation.

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Sounds like a better idea to me, yeah.

If there's a draw, assuming two or more people somehow manage to get all 40 kills, then you could just have a 'Bonus Round' in which you have to get like 20 kills within a time limit or something.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Jaz wrote:Sounds like a better idea to me, yeah.

If there's a draw, assuming two or more people somehow manage to get all 40 kills, then you could just have a 'Bonus Round' in which you have to get like 20 kills within a time limit or something.
I would probably just give out two awards in that case. (it's hard to believe that 2 people would get 40 kills in the same time limit though...)

(EDIT: Just updated the rules, we are now doing out of 40 kills...)

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Ok. Trying it. I could get that blue guy reliably for maybe 3 go's in a row, now I can't get him at all, let alone any other rabbit. I don't get it. I thought this would be easy. There must be some sort of trick to this I'm just not getting...

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:38 am

Rovert wrote:Ok. Trying it. I could get that blue guy reliably for maybe 3 go's in a row, now I can't get him at all, let alone any other rabbit. I don't get it. I thought this would be easy. There must be some sort of trick to this I'm just not getting...
The point of this challenge was to show off that weapons can balance out leg cannons... and I kinda like how hard it is... I was surprised that after practicing a while, I was able to get better, and even successfully won a few rounds... but in no way should this seem "easy". :)

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:23 am

About to try out the challenge now.

We are allowed to practice before we start recording, right?

E: It's laggy. Gonna try turning settings down. :(

E2: Oh and the score thing's not showing up for me. Should I try a reinstall?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:17 am

Jaz wrote:About to try out the challenge now.

We are allowed to practice before we start recording, right?

E: It's laggy. Gonna try turning settings down. :(

E2: Oh and the score thing's not showing up for me. Should I try a reinstall?

You can practice and or submit as much as you like. I'd love to see improvement, if that happens. (even if you want to come back to it in a couple weeks.)

Sad to hear it's lagging. :(

The score thing isn't real, I just edited that in my video, to show off how I'm "scoring" it. We'll just have to count for most people...

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:33 am

Only one week left till the month is up... If you are planning to compete, you should consider submitting soon after the 9th. It looks like you may have a couple weeks after that before the next Humble Bundle, but it is coming up soon!

(Also, this level is now in the menu mod, so it's easier to load up...)

Lux Æterna

Post by Lux Æterna » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:59 am

What's the record right now?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:50 am

Lux Æterna wrote:What's the record right now?
No one has submitted yet, so there is no record... You could show a video of you dying 10 times in a row and would win! LOL