[Tutorial] Creating your first map

Aleph

Re: [Tutorial] Creating your first map

Post by Aleph » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:37 am

Really nice tutorial, maybe you should add it to the wiki. Keep it up!

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:05 am

Can I ask a question? When you edit a map, where is it stored, because I look in the Overgrowth installation folder and all the maps are the basic maps that come with the game with no edits, so I was wondering where your custom maps are stored?

EDIT: nevermind, found out it was deep in the 'VirtualStore' folder in appdata. Seems like a kinda stupid place to put them.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:11 am

zzwerty wrote:Can I ask a question? When you edit a map, where is it stored, because I look in the Overgrowth installation folder and all the maps are the basic maps that come with the game with no edits, so I was wondering where your custom maps are stored?

EDIT: nevermind, found out it was deep in the 'VirtualStore' folder in appdata. Seems like a kinda stupid place to put them.
We're looking into why it does that... it seems to only happen when you launch from SUMLauncher... but it is something we've been discussing with David...

hotsnake

Post by hotsnake » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 am

Is there any way to manipulate the AO and Shadow Maps generated by the editor? I've been looking around the data folder, but can't seem to find them...

last

Post by last » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:32 pm

You can edit but it is really difficult to edit them. (I think you have to look them to understand why).
You can find only them when you calculate shadows and after that save level.
You have to look into \Users\yourusernamegoeshere\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data\Textures\ShadowMaps folder.

Fwiller

L3DT ported for MacOSX

Post by Fwiller » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:23 pm

I have successfully ported L3DT for the MacOSX! Here is the download link.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80552184/L3DT(fix).zip

You're welcome guys

-Fwiller

AlexPH

Post by AlexPH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Fantastic tutorial, it helped me a lot!

One problem though, whenever I start up my level it tells me "Texture file "C:/Users/Alex/Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Textures/skies/blue4.tga_my_level_cubes.dds" not found. Default texture loaded instead." followed by two similar messages. The level just loads just fine except for the fact that the sky is a really deep unnatural blue with no clouds or anything. Anyone know a solution to that?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:48 pm

AlexPH wrote:Fantastic tutorial, it helped me a lot!

One problem though, whenever I start up my level it tells me "Texture file "C:/Users/Alex/Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Textures/skies/blue4.tga_my_level_cubes.dds" not found. Default texture loaded instead." followed by two similar messages. The level just loads just fine except for the fact that the sky is a really deep unnatural blue with no clouds or anything. Anyone know a solution to that?
You are missing the skyboxes. If you install the menu mod, it will install them for you, or you can grab them manually here: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads. ... yboxes.zip

AlexPH

Post by AlexPH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:29 pm

The menu mod fixed my problem and all the added content is just fantastic. Thanks so much!

WolvesAreOverPowered

Post by WolvesAreOverPowered » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:34 am

What do I do if I DIDN'T make a copy of the level and started editing. What do I do to change it back to it's original state?!!

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 am

WolvesAreOverPowered wrote:What do I do if I DIDN'T make a copy of the level and started editing. What do I do to change it back to it's original state?!!
You reinstall the game or ask someone to upload the default .xml to the forum. In the future, there might be a possibility to revert to the default .xml's via the SUM-launcher but it currently isn't.

SirFox

Post by SirFox » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:16 am

My Project 60 folder contains nothing :( , any help would be greatly appreciated :D

SirFox

Post by SirFox » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:21 am

Nevermind, I was looking in the wrong folder, I found the xmls.

Scrumpeh

Post by Scrumpeh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:05 pm

at the part where i'm supposed to put the {
label:'My first map',
src:'images/my_map.png',
level:'my_map.xml',
}, it doesnt work, it takes all the mods and the default maps off of overgrowth and it doesnt let me click on anything, i'm not sure if im putting it in the wrong spot or not.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Scrumpeh wrote:at the part where i'm supposed to put the {
label:'My first map',
src:'images/my_map.png',
level:'my_map.xml',
}, it doesnt work, it takes all the mods and the default maps off of overgrowth and it doesnt let me click on anything, i'm not sure if im putting it in the wrong spot or not.
If you use any characters in that list that also double as code, it will not be able to render the area properly. Try to avoid any punctuation and spaces in file names, apostrophes are a definitely issue. Even spaces can make things work poorly, so try to use underscores instead.