[Tutorial] Creating your first map

last

Re: [Tutorial] Creating your first map

Post by last » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 am

So, let me be the first who's asking how do i create levels with those new features that alpha 194 added.
Scripts can create and delete objects
Scripts can translate, rotate and scale objects
Scripts can change object script parameters
Scripts can change tints and color palettes

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:16 am

They seem to be hardcoded in level.as for now :/.

David! It would be really awesome if adding per-level scripting functionality had a high priority!

Divadrr

Post by Divadrr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 am

I can't find the .xml files on my Mac. I looked under Library/Application Support/Overgrowth/Data/levels and it says there are no files. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:32 am

Divadrr wrote:I can't find the .xml files on my Mac. I looked under Library/Application Support/Overgrowth/Data/levels and it says there are no files. Should I be looking somewhere else?
Yes, the levels are inside the application, not in the Library.
RIght click on the application Overgrowth and choose "Show Package Contents", then navigate to Contents/Mac OS/Data/Levels and you should see the files you are looking for. (The defaults are then inside of Project60).

Divadrr

Post by Divadrr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks Anton, I'm trying to use the level Desert Outpost, but I can't figure out which file it is.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:58 am

It should be:
Data/Levels/DesertFort_IGF.xml

Divadrr

Post by Divadrr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 am

It won't let me type in the level in the "load a custom level" box. I renamed it level1protect.xml

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:29 am

Divadrr wrote:It won't let me type in the level in the "load a custom level" box. I renamed it level1protect.xml
Yeah, that is an error with a195. Unfortunately the only work around for that would be to add a manual entry into the main menu. It has already been addressed for the next alpha though, so you could just wait for that. (It might be as early as 5 hours from now... but it might not be for another week.) There should be directions in this thread on how to insert a map into the menu.

Divadrr

Post by Divadrr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 am

One more thing, I'm trying to save the image in the location below so that I can get it on the main menu, but I can't find this location through application support or under applications. Where should I be looking? Thanks for helping me out.

Save the image as my_map.png in Overgrowth/Data/UI/mainmenu/images/.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 am

Divadrr wrote:One more thing, I'm trying to save the image in the location below so that I can get it on the main menu, but I can't find this location through application support or under applications. Where should I be looking? Thanks for helping me out.

Save the image as my_map.png in Overgrowth/Data/UI/mainmenu/images/.
So anytime you see that, you can substitute it for the "Show Package Contents" that I showed you earlier. So in this case it would be - "Show Package Contents" then Contents/Mac OS/Data/UI/mainmenu/images

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:21 pm

I've created a blank file structure for use with modding. It should be ideal for most people to use, and is the template we are using for maps/mods in the Content Community Browser: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads. ... mplate.zip

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Also, don't launch Overgrowth if you're planning to make maps; SUMLauncher for some reason saves maps in a weird way.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 pm

Timbles wrote:Also, don't launch Overgrowth if you're planning to make maps; SUMLauncher for some reason saves maps in a weird way.
That's only on Windows... for some reason Windows decides that you need to save to a new location, because you've allowed SUMLauncher permission to change files...

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:00 am

Anton wrote:
Timbles wrote:Also, don't launch Overgrowth if you're planning to make maps; SUMLauncher for some reason saves maps in a weird way.
That's only on Windows... for some reason Windows decides that you need to save to a new location, because you've allowed SUMLauncher permission to change files...
Basically when you run SUMLauncher in Windows, it requires administrative permissions. Because SUMLauncher runs in an elevated state, anything it launches also runs in an elevated state. The way that Overgrowth works is that it tries to save content to the install directory by default, but if that fails (which would happen if it was not elevated), it instead saves content to a folder specific to the active user account.

FrostGrimoire

Post by FrostGrimoire » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm stuck here... I opened Menu.html with the notepad and made the change, but what do I do from there? I couldn't manipulate the html file so I just ended up saving the altered txt file in the same spot under the same name.