[Tutorial] Creating your first map

SteelRaven7

Re: [Tutorial] Creating your first map

Post by SteelRaven7 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:09 pm

FrostGrimoire wrote:I'm stuck here... I opened Menu.html with the notepad and made the change, but what do I do from there? I couldn't manipulate the html file so I just ended up saving the altered txt file in the same spot under the same name.
Yup, as long as the original .html file was overwritten, you should be good. Did the new level show up in the main menu?

FrostGrimoire

Post by FrostGrimoire » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:58 am

SteelRaven7 wrote:
FrostGrimoire wrote:I'm stuck here... I opened Menu.html with the notepad and made the change, but what do I do from there? I couldn't manipulate the html file so I just ended up saving the altered txt file in the same spot under the same name.
Yup, as long as the original .html file was overwritten, you should be good. Did the new level show up in the main menu?
Nope. Like I said I just left a totally different file(being the txt file under the same name) right next to the .html file but yeah, nothing. So I instead used an existing level, but strangely enough...Everytime I try to save my progress, NOTHING saves. It freezes for a second after I hit "Save Level" but when I reload it, I'm back where I started. Any idea how to fix this?
Last edited by FrostGrimoire on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:05 am

FrostGrimoire wrote:
SteelRaven7 wrote:
Nope. Like I said I just left a totally different file(being the txt file under the same name) right next to the .html foulder but yeah, nothing. So I instead used an existing level, but strangely enough...Everytime I try to save my progress, NOTHING saves. It freezes for a second after I hit "Save Level" but when I reload it, I'm back where I started. Any idea how to fix this?
We should double check with Aaron about this, but if you are using SUMLauncher, it might be overriding your menu.html file. We built a dynamic system into the menu which allows us to auto-populate the menu with installed items, but it might be removing the ability to manually add items. Our long term goal is to create our own in game menu system, so we are no longer overriding the main menu, but this might be your issue right now...

FrostGrimoire

Post by FrostGrimoire » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:34 am

Anton wrote:We should double check with Aaron about this, but if you are using SUMLauncher, it might be overriding your menu.html file. We built a dynamic system into the menu which allows us to auto-populate the menu with installed items, but it might be removing the ability to manually add items. Our long term goal is to create our own in game menu system, so we are no longer overriding the main menu, but this might be your issue right now...
I clearly remember being able to save another level I was working on, but I can't seem to remember if I used the SUMlauncher or not. I know I wasn't using the SUMlauncher this time, but still...Could be a random thing for all I know.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:38 am

FrostGrimoire wrote:
Anton wrote:We should double check with Aaron about this, but if you are using SUMLauncher, it might be overriding your menu.html file. We built a dynamic system into the menu which allows us to auto-populate the menu with installed items, but it might be removing the ability to manually add items. Our long term goal is to create our own in game menu system, so we are no longer overriding the main menu, but this might be your issue right now...
I clearly remember being able to save another level I was working on, but I can't seem to remember if I used the SUMlauncher or not. I know I wasn't using the SUMlauncher this time, but still...Could be a random thing for all I know.
It would happen if you ran SUMLauncher version 3 even once.

ariondivine

Post by ariondivine » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 pm

So ive done everything up to editing the menu.html. when i add everything, then try to save it, it says "access is denied." help?

last

Post by last » Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 am

I think that you get the "access is denied" message because you have installed your Overgrowth into program files folder, it is a bad place to install a game like this, because it is protected folder. The best option for you is to cut and paste the Overgrowth into some other folder or drive like C:/games or something like this. After that, try to edit and save the menu.html file.

robo_funk

Post by robo_funk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks for this! Exactly what I needed. Now I'm off to build a map.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:33 pm

hey i have 2 questions:
-where can i specify which weightmap to use / put my own?
-whats it about the normal maps?

Code: Select all

<DetailMap></DetailMap>
seams to always contain the normalmap, but the shadows on my map seam to be fine without

edit:nevermind, found the

Code: Select all

<WeightMap></WeightMap>
tag in another map...

Ghigog

Post by Ghigog » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Thank you!! very helpful

danielkerm

Post by danielkerm » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:33 pm

I have a few questions.
1. how do i set checkpoints, i cant find them in the editor ?
2. how can i solve a problem with the "poses", i cant select them i get "bad xml format in Data/ Animations/"?
3. i there a way to reduce the jum heigth ?
4. where can i get snow decals or how can i make them on my own ?
5. In one video i saw a modlevel where you had to bring an "item" in this case a bag to a mark on the ground to finish the level, how dose that work ?

sorry for the english. ^^

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:49 am

danielkerm wrote: 1. how do i set checkpoints, i cant find them in the editor ?
2. how can i solve a problem with the "poses", i cant select them i get "bad xml format in Data/ Animations/"?
3. i there a way to reduce the jum heigth ?
4. where can i get snow decals or how can i make them on my own ?
5. In one video i saw a modlevel where you had to bring an "item" in this case a bag to a mark on the ground to finish the level, how dose that work ?
1. it isnt there officially, but theres a mod viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14453
2. doesnt work yet, you have to load them with the load pose in the dialogue tab
3. not really, you could edit the aschar.as file if you know about scripting
4. one is in Data/objects/decals/snow_patch.xml. to make an own one copy an existing decal xml and replace the color and normal map paths to where your image files are at.
5. you have to modify the level xml (i couldnt find out what), then add the victory trigger and your item. i think the winning screen is disabled atm though.

last

Post by last » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:29 am

danielkerm wrote: 5. In one video i saw a modlevel where you had to bring an "item" in this case a bag to a mark on the ground to finish the level, how does that work ?
The challenge level 12 had this function but since the challange end screen is disabled there is no way to tell that you have completed the challenge.

Stain

Post by Stain » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Thomason1005 wrote: 2. doesnt work yet, you have to load them with the load pose in the dialogue tab
It doesn't work for me at all. :/ I select a character, click on the "load pose", select an animation and nothing happen. The Guard (in that case) is still standing straitgh. What should I do ?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:57 pm

You can only use it if you loaded a dialogue txt and are in dialogue edit mode. You might have to attach the char to the dialogue too.