Die by the Sword Mod [Perhaps. Just Maybe]

Korban3

Die by the Sword Mod [Perhaps. Just Maybe]

Post by Korban3 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Alright, I know what you're all going to say: "Oh great, Korban3 is going to start another mod that he'll never finish and rarely update as he works on it for a week and then drops." All I have to say in advance for that is "Gee. Thanks guys." I'm maybe going to do a 'clone' of Die by the Sword in Unity, to practice 3D math, so this is mostly me trying to have some fun with OG.
[+] Die by the Sword Overview
Anyways, if you're unfamiliar with Die by the Sword, get the fuck out of here right now. Or you could just watch this video:
HINT: Cut to around 0:30 for the best move exchange in video game history

DbtS featured graphics that were great for it's time. It also featured dismemberment and full analog control over your weapon. It was entirely procedurally animated and is badass. There's even a mod community that's still a little active. The main story was cliche, but did a couple of innovative things well.
Much like Overgrowth and Lugaru, the game was also hard as all get out to master. It didn't sell well, though, because it was overshadowed by Tomb Raider's release and had too steep a learning curve for most people.
ON TO THE MOD!
Easy simple description: I want full analog control over weapons. I'd probably leave the unarmed combat alone entirely and still allow the user to perform the vanilla attacks with mouse clicks alongside the mouse swinging.
The biggest hurdle will be allowing weapons to collide with characters and make kills appropriately. I'm going to read some of David's knife throwing scripting to get ideas for what to do.

SteelRaven7

Re: Die by the Sword Mod [Perhaps. Just Maybe]

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:49 am

Good luck. I think you'll need it. Really need it.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:06 am

Haha, definitely. Would be great though. I could even have the swords get lodged in bodies when you swing them forcing you to yank it back out :lol:

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:42 am

I am extremely interested in this mod. I'm going to hold you to it!

Personally, I think the hardest part will be rotating individual body parts! Since playing animations are what are most exposed to player-modifiable code, it might be hard to rotate a certain body part besides the head or the torso!

...Unless you know already.... :OOO

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Yeah, I actually sort of have a plan. You know that animation in which Turner drags bodies? Well it's only one key frame.
One.
The hands and feet are placed via inverse kinematics, in the script IIRC. Which is exactly what I need. I just need to cause weapons to be lethal all the time [hardest part] and then use the mouse input to control the IK positions of the hands. We could probably use this to do foot animations too.

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Perhaps you could create a cut plane every update!
And that's very interesting! I'll look into that a little more

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Yes, it seems that there's actually a few functions for handling weapon and item collisions. I'm going to download learn_more's recent script dump and dig around in there for more item functionality and data. It seems, though, that I can access quite a bit of physics info for weapons. If I can just set position and velocity, as well as the rotation matrix (Which I now understand. YES!) then I can do this mod.
Oh btw, now that I understand rotation matrices, I can probably do the first person mod. w00t

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Oh great, Korban3 is going to start another mod that he'll never finish and rarely update as he works on it for a week and then drops.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:00 pm

I FUCKIN' KNEW IT

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:52 pm

I had a dream that AAorris made this mod, and it was WIP, and it tore the enemies up, and it was awesome. Now I wake up, and am sad, because it is Korban who is making this mod, and it will never be finished.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:54 pm

God, you're a terrible person man. I'll spend today on the mod ok? Will that make you feel better?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:55 pm

:lol: that sword...that fuckin' sword dude... :lol:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:33 am

What, Enric's sword? Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. But honestly, I would suck even more at that game if the sword was shorter. It was would be a ton harder.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Korban3 wrote:God, you're a terrible person man. I'll spend today on the mod ok? Will that make you feel better?

slightly.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:07 am

Good. I'm still learning my Vectors, so don't expect this to happen nearly as fast as if SteelRaven were doing it. I'm a 3D math newb.