[Map] Grass Arena (Update 2-4-13)

Gogg.B1

[Map] Grass Arena (Update 2-4-13)

Post by Gogg.B1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Grass Arena
This map started out as just a few blocks in the grass that I was using to test weapons with (Mainly AAorris's Wakizashi). I was slowly adding to it until I figured I might as well just add a bit more and release it.

I wanted to make something with a lot of obstacles and places to fight with multiple routes.
Though this map is mainly intended for dueling there is more that the map has to offer, such as exploring and parkour and a special easter egg if you can make it to the highest point.

This map uses AAorris's Wakizashi weapon mod, and that file is included with the map.
Many thanks to AAorris for letting me use his weapon in the map.

If you want to use this map as a dueling map I've included a version that is 2-Player ready called "GrassArenaDuel.xml"

Hope you enjoy, here are a few Screens.
OvergrowthScreenshot00041.jpg
Hope you enjoy the map, if you have any feedback or questions please let me know
Grass Arena Duel -Gogg.B1 [2-4-2013].zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
Update Change Log:
* Changed duel location to the arena in the sky, as seen in the video below
* Adjusted health
* Minor fixes
GrassArena [4-28-12].zip
Now including a Duel version (GrassArenaDuel.xml) for ease of use. also the Duel version should be a bit easier on your computer, Enjoy.
To install, Merge the Data folder within the Zip with the Data folder in your Overgrowth main install folder, usually something like (C:\Program Files\Wolfire\Overgrowth). When you start the game type "GrassArena.xml" or "GrassArenaDuel.xml" into the Custom map text bar without the quotes and click load.
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
Remember to render the Shadows, Ambient Occlusion and the Nav Mesh for best experience.

Many more maps to come, most of them have been way more time consuming than this one was. More maps to come, of all shapes and sizes.

I also have a live stream dedicated to Overgrowth Map Making and Gameplay. Please take moment to check it out and subscribe since I stream almost everyday http://www.twitch.tv/madasterd

Here's another video I made testing the Wakizashi in a duel.

I made a short video of me making part of the map here on Youtube for anyone that may be interested.

Old Versions
GrassArena [4-28-12].zip
Now including a Duel version (GrassArenaDuel.xml) for ease of use. also the Duel version should be a bit easier on your computer, Enjoy.
To install, Merge the Data folder within the Zip with the Data folder in your Overgrowth main install folder, usually something like (C:\Program Files\Wolfire\Overgrowth). When you start the game type "GrassArena.xml" or "GrassArenaDuel.xml" into the Custom map text bar without the quotes and click load.
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
Update Changelog [4-28-12]
1. Added a version of the map called "GrassArenaDuel.xml" for easy 2 player access.
2. Fixed error when saving map with custom weapons. (Thanks AAorris and Samjb1992)
3. Fixed part of the map that was blocked by Invisible walls.
GrassArena by GoggB1.zip
To install, Merge the Data folder within the Zip with the Data folder in your Overgrowth main install folder, usually something like (C:\Program Files\Wolfire\Overgrowth)
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
Also check out my other map Turner's Castle here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14378
Last edited by Gogg.B1 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 am, edited 15 times in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: [Map] Grass Arena

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Can't wait to try this out! I'm like halfway done with a batch of maps for the menu mod, and I'll include this one in that grouping...

You can't embed videos because you are using the shortened youtu.be as opposed to the full youtube.com and that will make the difference.

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 pm

That would be really cool, thanks Anton oh and using the long version of the youtube url still didnt work for some reason

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:44 pm

So, you only need a URL up to the &, so for example the first one should be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT3IgWQzmk4

Then you need to put it inside the youtube tags, which you can do by selecting your code, and pressing the youtube button. it will look like this:

"[YouTube]your URL[/YouTube]"

And then you should be able to embed it:

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:14 pm

This looks Beautiful! It also looks like a perfect place for my jump mod. I'm definitely going to try it!

Radon

Post by Radon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Great Map but I was loading it and it said the sky texture is missing? Do you know anything about that and great work on the map.

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Radon wrote:Great Map but I was loading it and it said the sky texture is missing? Do you know anything about that and great work on the map.
Perhaps you don't have the Menu Mod installed. It seems to include a lot of sky maps that level makers would use. If not, there's a good chance installing it will fix your problem.

Radon

Post by Radon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:33 pm

AAorris wrote:
Radon wrote:Great Map but I was loading it and it said the sky texture is missing? Do you know anything about that and great work on the map.
Perhaps you don't have the Menu Mod installed. It seems to include a lot of sky maps that level makers would use. If not, there's a good chance installing it will fix your problem.
Alright, thanks a a lot of the help.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:49 am

I'm having problems loading your map! It keeps crashing the application... I'm not sure why yet, but it will be hard for me to add to the menu mod until I can figure it out... I'll see what I can do...

EDIT: I removed AAorris' custom weapon from the xml, and it loaded fine... I'll have to see why his weapon is crashing...

EDIT 2: It seems to be the number of weapons, or something... I'm able to add his weapon in, and it works great, but for some reason, I just can't get the map to load the way you uploaded it :(

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Anton wrote:I'm having problems loading your map! It keeps crashing the application... I'm not sure why yet, but it will be hard for me to add to the menu mod until I can figure it out... I'll see what I can do...

EDIT: I removed AAorris' custom weapon from the xml, and it loaded fine... I'll have to see why his weapon is crashing...

EDIT 2: It seems to be the number of weapons, or something... I'm able to add his weapon in, and it works great, but for some reason, I just can't get the map to load the way you uploaded it :(

hmm interesting, ill have to look into this. really as i was making this i was wondering how the custom weapons would work in the menu mod. but you say the map wont even load for you huh thats strange. i could have done something bizarre while i was making the map, ill take another look through it and see.

i wonder if anyone else is having the same problem.
i may have to replace the wakizashi with a different weapon if people are having problems

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Gogg.B1 wrote:
Anton wrote:I'm having problems loading your map! It keeps crashing the application... I'm not sure why yet, but it will be hard for me to add to the menu mod until I can figure it out... I'll see what I can do...

hmm interesting, ill have to look into this. really as i was making this i was wondering how the custom weapons would work in the menu mod. but you say the map wont even load for you huh thats strange. i could have done something bizarre while i was making the map, ill take another look through it and see.

i wonder if anyone else is having the same problem.
i may have to replace the wakizashi with a different weapon if people are having problems
I have used custom weapons before in the menu mod, basically I just include that weapon in the downloads, and we're good to go... I don't think it is specific to AAorris' sword, but maybe just to the amount of objects in the level... experimenting a little here too... (I love the layout of the level though... and it's freaking HARD without weapons to kill anybody... haha!)

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:48 pm

I've been noticing that trying to save a level with my items will crash the game when I try to load it next.

I believe it is the same with the current weapon I'm working on. I wonder what's up!

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:14 pm

hmm, maybe it is because of the object count. i'm not sure but hopefully it works for the majority of people. ive had simular problems to what AAorris mentions on other maps but i've always noticed that i never got those problems until i rendered the shadows and AO. think that had anything to do with it AAorris?
or maybe it has something to do with a grouped object that's too complex or the Display text hot spots

Anyways i'm glad you guys like the map, hopefully i can figure out what the problem might be soon. or maybe its just you two :mrgreen:

maybe i can send you 2 a different version sometimes to test it.but if anyone else is having problems please let me know.

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Well, I can't put any of my custom weapons into a level and have it load correctly.
My guess is that it has to do with my file structure. I might try creating a textures/objects/models hierarchy like everyone else :(

Master XOY99

Post by Master XOY99 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:30 pm

this is the most extrodinary map i have ever seen in this game congratulations you have stunned me... finally somebody has... though Last's Blood Mod made me wow