Realistic Fighting Mod (early WIP, modding help/tips needed)

Moody

Realistic Fighting Mod (early WIP, modding help/tips needed)

Post by Moody » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:05 am

Hey folks, I've recently been getting into many martial arts based movies, comics, and mangas. Many are about street fighting and such, and I've been craving a good realistic fighting game that has a street fighting feel to it. So I poked around in the Overgrowth files, and ended up changing many of the statistics for attacks. I ended up greatly decreasing and changing the force values for all attacks, and increasing the damage values, along with even changing some of the hit direction values for the spin kick and the knee kick. Now the spin kick is very deadly because it's attack hits at a diagonal angle towards the ground, which means that it can cause many KO's by making the enemy's head hit the floor hard, and the knee now has a bit of an upwards hit direction to it.

After playing several matches, I liked the new feel. So I wanted to keep exploring into the possibilities of modding the game into a slightly slower paced, more realistic fighting game. It will be based on fluid and challenging 1 on 1 fighting, where matches are intense and where people can only take 2 to 4 solid hits before going down.

The problem is, I am a noob with modding, so I thought I'd turn to the community for help with some questions, and if I can get enough tips and help improving my modding skills, I would like to do extensive work to mod overgrowth into a gritty street fighting game. If you know of tutorials that are relevant please post them, otherwise I have some general questions:

1. How can I edit the animation speeds? I intend to make the punches (especially the thrust, which is basically like a straight in boxing) more powerful, but I want the animation/impact to be a little slower to compensate.
2. How can I change the range that an attack has? I want to make the thrust have a slightly greater range, making it a more useful standard attack. This might be off from the animations for now, but animating is something I intend to learn over the summer.
3. How difficult would it be to have 2 separate attack buttons, 1 which only activates leg attacks, and another that only activates punching/upper body attacks? I would really like to have this as an option, if I'm going to be changing around the fighting mechanics, I want to eventually make advantages and disadvantages to using a jab or a knee up close.
4. How can I change the movement speed for the rabbits?
5. Is there somewhere that I can go to learn more about scripting for Overgrowth specifically? It's something I've been meaning to learn for a long time now.

I realize I may be asking about complicated in game mechanics that will take time and testing to configure correctly, but I understand that. Thanks in advance for all help given, I'm eager to get into the modding scene, and with summer break coming soon, I'll have the time to commit to it.

SteelRaven7

Re: Realistic Fighting Mod (early WIP, modding help/tips nee

Post by SteelRaven7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:48 am

1. How can I edit the animation speeds? I intend to make the punches (especially the thrust, which is basically like a straight in boxing) more powerful, but I want the animation/impact to be a little slower to compensate.

Other than editing the parameters for each character, I don't think there is a way until the blender import/export animation scripts start working again. I had a quick look in the animation .xml files, but there wasn't any speed- (or similar) tag that could be changed.

2. How can I change the range that an attack has? I want to make the thrust have a slightly greater range, making it a more useful standard attack. This might be off from the animations for now, but animating is something I intend to learn over the summer.

This would most likely require scripting, editing the aschar.as file. It shouldn't be too much trouble though, most likely, you would just have to change some kind of parameter to a higher value. Again, I couldn't find a way to do this via the .xml files.

3. How difficult would it be to have 2 separate attack buttons, 1 which only activates leg attacks, and another that only activates punching/upper body attacks? I would really like to have this as an option, if I'm going to be changing around the fighting mechanics, I want to eventually make advantages and disadvantages to using a jab or a knee up close.

If you know some scripting, not too dificult, but probably pretty time consuming to have it work correctly. It really boils down to how much experience you have with angelscript (IE. C++).

4. How can I change the movement speed for the rabbits?

Again, no .xml tag parameter that could change it globally :(, it's either the parameter editor or scripting.

5. Is there somewhere that I can go to learn more about scripting for Overgrowth specifically? It's something I've been meaning to learn for a long time now.

I advise you to do some C++ tutorials (if you haven't already), and even mess around a bit with the aschar.as script, which controls the characters in OG. For example, try editing the laser eye thingy once you get the hang of some basic C++'ing.

Moody

Re: Realistic Fighting Mod (early WIP, modding help/tips nee

Post by Moody » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:13 am

Thanks SteelRaven, definitely useful information, put's what I have in mind into perspective. Just goes to show how little I know about modding, but everyone starts somewhere. I'll definitely look into C++ tutorials, and just mess around with the aschar.as in general.