[Maps] Djemps' PvP map pack

Djemps

[Maps] Djemps' PvP map pack

Post by Djemps » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:14 pm

I've got three (and a half) really nice PvP maps ready for release to the community. I've decided to create this dedicated thread to provide download files, descriptions, and eventually screenshots & gameplay video.

I would love to hear your feedback!

SCRATCHING POST

'Scratching Post' takes place in a fortified Cat town. Although most Cat communities enjoy prosperity and comfort due to their expertise in merchant trading, this secluded town does not attract many traders. Instead, the Cats have boosted their village's economy by building a gladiator arena in the center of town. Beasts travel from every corner of the Overgrowth to watch these bloody battles and gamble on their outcome. You and your opponent are the first two captured Rabbits to ever fight at the Scratching Post.

This was my attempt at building a small enclosed arena that would not make the camera go crazy. I think it turned out pretty well. Here are some gameplay vids:

You will notice that 'Scratching Post' lends itself to plenty of different gameplay styles. You can switch from close quarters brawling to high flying acrobatic air battles very seamlessly. Knives are fun too. As you can see, placing one knife on the top of the post creates a very competitive scenario. Likewise, giving each player their own knife at the start demands new strategy since it becomes much harder to throw the knife for a quick kill when there is a big post in the way.

WARM ASHES

'Warm Ashes' takes place in the smoldering ruins of an agricultural Rabbit warren. Merciless raiders from a rival clan have descended upon the town, burned it, pillaged it and killed all of the families. Now the only things that remain are warm ashes, a straggling Raider scout and a Rabbit farmer who has just returned from a trip to find his home destroyed.

I tried to imagine what a small warren community would look like: clustered rabbit huts, terraced gardens and fenced wheat plots, scattered baskets and furniture, a grinding stone for making bread. I wanted to inject this map with a lot of character and tell a story.

Be carful, there are lots of little bits of clutter and ruins to get hung up on. A fight can end very quickly if you get knocked into the wrong piece of rubble. Also, I've noticed that due to the sloped landscape and domed Rabbit huts, the level lends itself well to big air juggles and unexpected leg cannons.

IMPORTANT: For 'Warm Ashes' to play correctly, you will need to make a slight adjustment to the Civilian Bunny's .xml character file by removing his alliance with the 'Guard'. This is a very easy and clean adjustment that can be reversed without too much trouble. Alternately, you could change the Civilian character into Turner, but I think it removes some of the battle's 'drama'.

WONDER BUNNIES

'Wonder Bunnies' takes place on a distant alien planet. A pair of Super Powered Intergalactic Bunny Beings (or SPIBBs) have traveled to this remote corner of the cosmos to settle their differences in a brutal showdown of Über-mammal combat. Who will emerge the victor: the Green Cottontail or SuperBuck?

Here's a fun PvP map! I've built a large Krypton-esque style arena with the 'shards' object set and tweaked the parameters of your characters. They are slightly faster, and can withstand a bit more damage, not to mention the fact that they have considerably stronger knock back power. Essentially, the point of this map is to land a shot that will fling your opponent into a wall or corner and kill them, since brawling isn't very effective anymore. With that in mind, I've made sure to incorporate some pits and ramps to spice up the battlefield experience.

IMPORTANT: There is no exit or entrance to the battlefield ring. If you ever get knocked out of the arena and manage to survive you will need to restart the level by pressing 'L' on the keyboard. I played around with including a few doorways into the arena, but it changed the overall feel and tactics of the level. :wink:
Attachments
wonder_bunnies.xml
(139.25 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
warm_ashes.xml
(268.35 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
scratching_post.xml
(254.66 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: [Maps] Djemps' PvP map pack

Post by Anton » Tue May 01, 2012 12:37 am

Great levels, they are fun to play!

Added to the menu mod! :)

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue May 01, 2012 12:49 am

Wow Anton! Thanks for the quick upload and menu thumbnails. :mrgreen:

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 01, 2012 12:52 am

Djemps wrote:Wow Anton! Thanks for the quick upload and menu thumbnails. :mrgreen:
My pleasure!

Although, Technically I'm still doing the thumbnail for wonder bunnies as I type this... but I'm close... I have a few good screen shots, trying to pick one...

EDIT: OK... it's online... :)

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue May 01, 2012 11:17 am

You made my map less significant somehow...

Still though, nice maps. I guess I should release my map soon before you end up doing the EXACT same thing I did. :P

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 am

Jaz wrote:You made my map less significant somehow...

Still though, nice maps. I guess I should release my map soon before you end up doing the EXACT same thing I did. :P
You sound a lot like me! I've been sitting on these maps, tweaking them, not wanting to show them until I had edited gameplay videos for each one. Then I suddenly got antsy and decided to just put up what I've already got.

But seriously, let us see the map so far. I'm hoping it is a PvP level. I think we need a lot more of those.

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 am

Djemps wrote:
Jaz wrote:You made my map less significant somehow...

You sound a lot like me! I've been sitting on these maps, tweaking them, not wanting to show them until I had edited gameplay videos for each one. Then I suddenly got antsy and decided to just put up what I've already got.

But seriously, let us see the map so far. I'm hoping it is a PvP level. I think we need a lot more of those.
Not a PvP level because I forgot PvP existed, but if somebody tells me how to convert it, it's probably more suited to PvP than it is to be a singleplayer level. xD

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 am

Also... If you release maps, and then update them, I'll move them back to the front of the line on the menu mod... so people might play them more... (I only say this now, until SUM OG Utilities is finished... then there will be many choices to sort options... :) )

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue May 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Anton wrote:Also... If you release maps, and then update them, I'll move them back to the front of the line on the menu mod... so people might play them more... (I only say this now, until SUM OG Utilities is finished... then there will be many choices to sort options... :) )
Anton once again with the sweet hookup. Nice to know!
Jaz wrote: Not a PvP level because I forgot PvP existed, but if somebody tells me how to convert it, it's probably more suited to PvP than it is to be a singleplayer level. xD
It's really not too hard. Just a few basic things to keep track of:

- Make sure there are only two characters active on the map. And they can't share 'faction'. No battles between two guards or two wolves (sadly). That was one of my first pvp ideas btw... :-(

- Select the enemy character's white box and press Command+P to make them a 'player'. The box will turn green. (Forgot the equivalent key command for Windows...)

-- (All the rest of this will be for PvP single screen only) --

- Avoid lots of walls or tightly enclosed spaces, because the camera will get wonky. In particular, any type of terrain that you can go under like an archway etc... will cause the camera to flip upside down!!!

-- Be sure to test out the fighter placement VS score board. Check to see if the player who starts on the left of the screen is scoring in the left handed 'green' rabbit region. If you not, you need to either manually swap the player spawn boxes or fool around with deleting and re-adding the boxes in various orders.

It's funny, because I started with the goal of making some PvP maps, but now I'm thinking about releasing alternate versions for single player mode. :lol:

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Djemps wrote:
[+] snip
Anton wrote:Also... If you release maps, and then update them, I'll move them back to the front of the line on the menu mod... so people might play them more... (I only say this now, until SUM OG Utilities is finished... then there will be many choices to sort options... :) )
Jaz wrote: Not a PvP level because I forgot PvP existed, but if somebody tells me how to convert it, it's probably more suited to PvP than it is to be a singleplayer level. xD
- Make sure there are only two characters active on the map. And they can't share 'faction'. No battles between two guards or two wolves (sadly). That was one of my first pvp ideas btw... :-(
[+] snip
- Select the enemy character's white box and press Command+P to make them a 'player'. The box will turn green. (Forgot the equivalent key command for Windows...)

- Avoid lots of walls or tightly enclosed spaces, because the camera will get wonky. In particular, any type of terrain that you can go under like an archway etc... will cause the camera to flip upside down!!!

-- Be sure to test out the fighter placement VS score board. Check to see if the player who starts on the left of the screen is scoring in the left handed 'green' rabbit region. If you not, you need to either manually swap the player spawn boxes or fool around with deleting and re-adding the boxes in various orders.

It's funny, because I started with the goal of making some PvP maps, but now I'm thinking about releasing alternate versions for single player mode. :lol:
ZramuliZ released a wolf that defaults to the guard's team, and that is included in the menu mod... if you were to use that as your second wolf, you could release a wolf vs. wolf map, and as long as people only load it through SUMLauncher/Menu Mod, it will always work...

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Tue May 01, 2012 12:29 pm

"Make sure there are only two characters active on the map"

So no PvPvP battles? Dang, that would have been awesome. Guess one of the characters on my map's out then in the conversion.

Anyway, I really need someone to PvP with on your maps. Is there an online system at all?

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Jaz wrote:
Anyway, I really need someone to PvP with on your maps. Is there an online system at all?
Hahaha. I didn't mean for this map bundle to be the 'Forever Alone' of Overgrowth!!!

But sadly, I can only play PvP once a week as well. No online support at this time. :cry:

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue May 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Anton wrote:
Djemps wrote:
[+] snip
[+] snip

ZramuliZ released a wolf that defaults to the guard's team, and that is included in the menu mod... if you were to use that as your second wolf, you could release a wolf vs. wolf map, and as long as people only load it through SUMLauncher/Menu Mod, it will always work...
Well I just tryed to load the wold guard and i gave me an error.

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 pm

It's really not too hard. Just a few basic things to keep track of:[/spoiler]
[+] snip

[/quote]

ZramuliZ released a wolf that defaults to the guard's team, and that is included in the menu mod... if you were to use that as your second wolf, you could release a wolf vs. wolf map, and as long as people only load it through SUMLauncher/Menu Mod, it will always work...[/quote]
Well I just tryed to load the wold guard and i gave me an error.[/quote]

I get the same problem. In fact, it crashes the game. It says it can't find wolf_guard_soldier_actor, or whatever it's called when loading certain maps.

Shawgydog

Post by Shawgydog » Tue May 01, 2012 9:13 pm

I downloaded it three times and tried opening it in Overgrowth but when I did it couldnt find it? :?: