[Map] Forest Hills v0.2

MjTheHunter

[Map] Forest Hills v0.2

Post by MjTheHunter » Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 pm

May 16th Small update.

I redid the trees, tried to optimize it a lot so more people can play. Given they don't look as nice anymore, but It's woth it.
Right now there are some issue with the textures being used for the foliage, So i'll need to clean them up.
Anyway check it out :)

This is just the xml file for the update, get the rest from the download link below or the main menu mod.
foresthills.xml
foresthills
(456.01 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Enjoy.
---------------------------
Hi,

I've been playing around with a lot of stuff for game design recently and decided that Overgrowth would be awesome for testing.
Eventually I decided to make my own level.

I started out with a plane in Zbrush, then generated a heightmap from the mesh with xNormal and refined it in WorldMachine.
A little tweaking and extra map generation in Photoshop and done.

It's pretty graphics intense level, I think because of all the foliage (forest).
But what do I know :p..

Anyway enjoy, and please let me know what you think.
(Don't forget to calculate shadows and AO, adds a lot of atmosphere!)

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by MjTheHunter on Tue May 15, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfish

Re: [Map] Forest Hills v0.1

Post by Silverfish » Sun May 06, 2012 10:29 am

The first time I started it the game crashed, but it worked on the second try. I'm hoping I get decent enough FPS on this level to record a little video. :)

I could record a video, I'll upload it during next week.

The level looks really great, those trees look amazing! What I thought could be improved is that the shadows are quite dark, so it's VERY hard to see what's going on when you're in the shadow. I think you can change how dark the shadows are in the level xml file.

I also had an impostor or two that changed into its real model a bit too late, but that might be a coding issue perhaps.

Really nice looking level, nice work! :D

MjTheHunter

Post by MjTheHunter » Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks man.
About the imposter objects.. it's doesn't really seem to work properly.
Sometimes, the imposters will stay on top of the actual geometry when you are up close :/ I have no idea why or how to fix it :p..

I'll test out the shadow thing ;)
My roomate also tested out the level, but the first time she ran it, it didn't include the sky texture or something, which made the shadows VERY dark, maybe that's the issue?

I'll try and make it a little more manageable to run, maybe decrease the amount of foliage or something :)

So far, the trees are trunks with bushes attached to them :p..

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 am

MjTheHunter wrote: So far, the trees are trunks with bushes attached to them :p..
That's a nice trick!

MjTheHunter

Post by MjTheHunter » Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 am

Djemps wrote:
MjTheHunter wrote: So far, the trees are trunks with bushes attached to them :p..
That's a nice trick!
Makes the foliage collideable :p
Don't know if there's any other way to do it?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 am

MjTheHunter wrote:
Djemps wrote:
That's a nice trick!
Some trees already have collision assigned to them (specifically the Lugaru Trees) but it really should be assigned to more of them.
MjTheHunter wrote:I'll test out the shadow thing ;)
My roomate also tested out the level, but the first time she ran it, it didn't include the sky texture or something, which made the shadows VERY dark, maybe that's the issue?
Your roommate doesn't have the menu mod installed, or at the very least the skyboxes installed.
The level actually ran pretty well for me in general. It is already in the menu mod, but I haven't finished updating the menu script. I just need to make the thumbnail, and that kind of stuff... but here are some images I took that I plan to make it from: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1515544 ... s?h=360a64
I think the level is looking great!

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon May 07, 2012 10:15 am

MjTheHunter wrote:
[+] quote
Djemps wrote:
That's a nice trick!
I think that's the best way to do it yeah. The thing that hasn't been done before I think is using the bushes for the leaves in the trees, and it looks pretty damn nice!

The sky looked fine to me as you can see in OGW, so I don't think that was the issue.

MjTheHunter

Post by MjTheHunter » Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 am

Ahh right, the menu mod, that's probably the issue ;)
Images looks pretty awesome ;)
I'm going to start playing around with some ways to optimize the trees. If I can :p..

Sweet Lukas!

Does anyone know what's wrong with the imposter objects that display on top of the original mesh even when up close?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am

MjTheHunter wrote:Does anyone know what's wrong with the imposter objects that display on top of the original mesh even when up close?
I'm guessing it's a bug in the code, I've had issues on official maps with impostors so they might not function 100% properly yet.

MjTheHunter

Post by MjTheHunter » Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 am

Fair enough, guess I'll have to work with that then :p..

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed May 09, 2012 8:40 am

Loving this level... Having 2 maps come out in the menu mod this week with the name "Forest Hills" was pretty funny though... And they have an oddly similar feel to them. Anyway, great work so far!

MjTheHunter

Post by MjTheHunter » Wed May 09, 2012 9:46 am

I kind of put me off for a second when I found forest_hills in the levels :p..
Glad you like it so far ;)
I hope to finish it soon, just a little busy. In the final week of a short film production...

MjTheHunter

Re: [Map] Forest Hills v0.2

Post by MjTheHunter » Tue May 15, 2012 6:39 pm

May 16th Small update.

I redid the trees, tried to optimize it a lot so more people can play. Given they don't look as nice anymore, but It's woth it.
Right now there are some issue with the textures being used for the foliage, So i'll need to clean them up.
Anyway check it out :)

This is just the xml file for the update, get the rest from the download link below or the main menu mod.
foresthills.xml
Enjoy.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed May 16, 2012 12:27 am

Updated to this version in the menu mod. Love the size of the level, and the layout! It has made me curious about making purely linear levels, and how to make sure people follow those pathways, or, how do we deal with complex layout situations, like this one...

MjTheHunter

Post by MjTheHunter » Wed May 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Sweet!
It's really hard, I have 4 or 5 other levels made before this one to test out a good way to direct the player but still leaving them with choices.

But it's a lot of fun :p..