===0.7===
-Extended level
-Added new NPC
=========

===0.9===
-Extended level
-New NPCs
-Swapped the location of 2 secrets
*Normal Difficulty is still version 0.7, will be updated once hard difficulty is updated to 1.0
=========
This is my first map for overgrowth, i'm not really familiar with the mapping just yet.

This is an early 'release' as stated at the current version, so i was hoping if the overgrowth community would give me thoughts and feedback on the map, if it really isn't liked i will probably try another design and give it another go.

Due to the original design having some very tricky jumps which could be hard for some people to perform i created two difficulty's (Normal, Hard)

Hard is the original design.
Normal difficulty contains more platforms to get you easier around the level.

If the feedback i get is positive i will continue this map as much as i think is enough for the 'mission' to be complete, i will also possibily create more maps like this(Of course different designs but similar) with a similar 'story' as being a hired assassin.

The map is obviously(As i'm trying to get feedback on the current amount) not very large but will continue as stated before if it does get positive feedback.

======Story========
You are an assassin-for-hire working for various factions to earn money to survive.
You have been asked by the dog faction to kill all the guards at ??? city(I don't have a clue what to name it), your reward for this work is a huge amount of money so you decided to accept the mission.
==================

Side note: When you load up the map, before starting press 'L' to reset all the objects, there is a possibility when you start up the map that some NPC's will appear on spots they are not supposed to spawn, this happens to me whenever i load up the map the first time after starting up overgrowth.

Image: Version 0.5

You may download sumlauncher to download all current maps available which include my latest versions of this map for both difficulties.
Alternatively you can download the maps below and manually start them up in overgrowth.
Attachments
Night_Of_Assassination_Hard_0.9.xml
Hard Difficulty [0.9]
(48.72 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Night_Of_Assassination_Normal.xml
Normal Difficulty [0.7]
(31.28 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Last edited by Karen on Sun May 13, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 12 times in total.

akazi

Re: [Map] Assassination Night

Post by akazi » Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm

see how did you change the map with a different skybox?

Karen

Post by Karen » Tue May 08, 2012 3:14 pm

akazi wrote:see how did you change the map with a different skybox?
I used the skybox from the map 'painted_desert_night'.
All you have to do is copy the code from any map you want the skybox from (all the code between the tags <sky> </sky>) and paste it in your map.

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue May 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Karen wrote:
akazi wrote:see how did you change the map with a different skybox?
I used the skybox from the map 'painted_desert_night'.
All you have to do is copy the code from any map you want the skybox from (all the code between the tags <sky> </sky>) and paste it in your map.
Ah okay thanks. :)

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 08, 2012 3:47 pm

So, looking good. I personally prefer the "Normal" map over the "Hard" map... BUT the labels are reversed... (Hard is easier than "Normal" right now...)

Also, the reason why the rabbit doesn't always show up in the right spot is because the very bottom of his spawn point is slightly below the ground, and he's spawning inside an object. If you raise him just a touch, he'll be fine.

(Working on updating the menu mod right now, and these will be included... :) )

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue May 08, 2012 4:09 pm

The city is called Metropolis.

Seriously, everyone knows generic cities which don't have names yet are automatically Metropolis. ;)

(Metropolis actually means something entirely different and the city in the Superman films isn't really a metropolis, but eh, who cares?)

Anyway, this map looks interesting.
I love fighting and much prefer fighting to parkour, though parkour is still eh, fairly fun.

Karen

Post by Karen » Tue May 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Anton wrote:-snip-
How did i manage to label them wrong..
(Do you mean the one labeled 'Hard' is the one with the extra platforms?)

Also, i still have to complete the map so if you put them in the menu mod, i'ts still not the full map(Or will you update it when i complete it?)

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Karen wrote:

Also, i still have to complete the map so if you put them in the menu mod, i'ts still not the full map(Or will you update it when i complete it?)
Yes, they were labeled wrong. When I opened "Hard" it had more platforms than "Normal", and was in fact easier to get to... certain places ;) .

I will definitely update your levels in the menu mod as well if you update them! In fact, there's almost a perk to doing so, as I'll move your map back up near the front of the list when you do.

Edit: Some other things you might want to update are the shaders being used. If you open the .xml file of the other night levels, they are using a "night" shader. The good thing about using it is that it changes the way that shadows are calculated, and makes things "easier" to see in the dark than certain kinds of other shadows.

Karen

Post by Karen » Tue May 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Anton wrote:
Karen wrote:

-snip
Huh.. i also downloaded the hard one to see if i actually labeled them wrong.. but i'm pretty sure it's the harder version.. to get to the first guard in the hard one you have to walljump in one try to the platform, on the normal one there's a platform in between which you can jump one then do another wallrun which makes it alot easier to get to the guard(same with other platforms, there's a block in between on which you can jump which makes it easier)

Or i must be going crazy...

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Karen wrote: Huh.. i also downloaded the hard one to see if i actually labeled them wrong.. but i'm pretty sure it's the harder version.. to get to the first guard in the hard one you have to walljump in one try to the platform, on the normal one there's a platform in between which you can jump one then do another wallrun which makes it alot easier to get to the guard(same with other platforms, there's a block in between on which you can jump which makes it easier)

It is possible that you are not uploading the correct file... (not your fault though). any chance you can jump in the IRC, and I can talk you through it... (but when I load the "normal" map, I am missing a lot of the platforms that exist in the "hard" one. I can't even get to the sword on the "normal" map...)

Karen

Post by Karen » Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Anton wrote:
Karen wrote: Huh.. i also downloaded the hard one to see if i actually labeled them wrong.. but i'm pretty sure it's the harder version.. to get to the first guard in the hard one you have to walljump in one try to the platform, on the normal one there's a platform in between which you can jump one then do another wallrun which makes it alot easier to get to the guard(same with other platforms, there's a block in between on which you can jump which makes it easier)

It is possible that you are not uploading the correct file... (not your fault though). any chance you can jump in the IRC, and I can talk you through it... (but when I load the "normal" map, I am missing a lot of the platforms that exist in the "hard" one. I can't even get to the sword on the "normal" map...)
Oh, then it should be just fine, the sword doesn't exist on the normal map for the sole reason of it would be too easymode, on hard it's tougher to get there because there are no platforms in between which makes it more rewarding if you manage to make it there.
Some of the platforms that are missing in normal are the ones that i moved from hard, when you load up the hard one you'll notice as example on one of the very first platforms there's a little platform below, but it's useless and you can't get anywhere with it, that's why it makes it harder to get to the other side, on normal though, it's moved upward to the middle and you can jump on it for easier access to the other platform with the guard.(Does the platform actually make it harder for you? That would be wierd though.. :P I'm sure it's harder to get to the guard without the platform in the middle..)

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Karen wrote:
Anton wrote:

Oh, then it should be just fine, the sword doesn't exist on the normal map for the sole reason of it would be too easymode, on hard it's tougher to get there because there are no platforms in between which makes it more rewarding if you manage to make it there.
Some of the platforms that are missing in normal are the ones that i moved from hard, when you load up the hard one you'll notice as example on one of the very first platforms there's a little platform below, but it's useless and you can't get anywhere with it, that's why it makes it harder to get to the other side, on normal though, it's moved upward to the middle and you can jump on it for easier access to the other platform with the guard.(Does the platform actually make it harder for you? That would be wierd though.. :P I'm sure it's harder to get to the guard without the platform in the middle..)

Hmm... maybe it's just the way I play the game, but the "Normal" one feels harder to me... Anyway, I'll be sure to keep them labeled the way you have them then. (Which, should be working now if you update the menu mod!)

Karen

Post by Karen » Tue May 08, 2012 4:41 pm

This is hard:
This is normal:

I have alot more trouble getting to the third platform on hard..
On normal you can just jump on those small platforms on the sides and then wallrun > jump to the next one.

But i guess it depends on the person playing :P

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Ok, it looks like they are labeled correctly (and that is how they are in the menu mod now...) I think we just have different ways of approaching the level (which excites me even more about the game...)

Karen

Post by Karen » Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Anton wrote:Ok, it looks like they are labeled correctly (and that is how they are in the menu mod now...) I think we just have different ways of approaching the level (which excites me even more about the game...)
Can you maybe explain me how it works to show maps in the menu?
This thread explains it but apparantly you have to manually edit the menu HTML to show it, also the custom image would only be available on my computer..
How is this all automatically done with SUMLauncher?
I'm a programmer(Student) but it's still a little mystery to me :P