CUSTOM CHARACTER: TENGU

Endoperez

Re: CUSTOM CHARACTER: TENGU

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:57 am

Maybe Overgrowth has cached one of the old, broken normal maps? Or the LOD image made from it.

Another way to get the normal map corrected is to bake the Tengu the normal way, and then invert the blue channel in Photoshop. I should probably post that on the 3D reference thread. :oops: It could have saved you the time you now spent on experimenting.

Spudzy

Post by Spudzy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:18 pm

I need help with how to be able to play as him. I don't know what to do cuz I can only spawn him. I can't play as him. Please respond

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:40 pm

how do export weight paint data, my new character had to be weight painted and every time i export the model and skeleton the weight paint effects do not work

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 am

Spudzy wrote:I need help with how to be able to play as him. I don't know what to do cuz I can only spawn him. I can't play as him. Please respond
to play as him, you have to spawn him in the level you want to play, and his spawn point should be a white cube, doule click it to highlight it the pres CTRL+P and the cube should turn green and he'll turn into the playable character.

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 am

samjb1992 wrote:how do export weight paint data, my new character had to be weight painted and every time i export the model and skeleton the weight paint effects do not work
you've already made the character work haven't you?

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 am

Le Petit Docteur wrote:
samjb1992 wrote:how do export weight paint data, my new character had to be weight painted and every time i export the model and skeleton the weight paint effects do not work
you've already made the character work haven't you?
ya I made a rhino now oh and I figured it out so never mind

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:45 pm

WHHOA! i wanted to make a Rhino too.... GREAT!

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 am

I UPLOADED AN UPDATED VERSION OF THE CHARACTER, HOPE YOU LIKE IT!

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Goddammit, how have all these other people figured out how to get characters working in game? I tried for freaking MONTHS and STILL didn't get it working. Feeling a toxic mixture of frustration and elation right now. It's so awesome that people finally got it working but now I have lost all my files I have to start again :cry:

So how did you get it working in game? Did you use Andridges page? Is there a resource you can share? Did you just plug away and somehow get it working on your own?

JavaLodge

Post by JavaLodge » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:25 pm

I used a combination of Andrige's turorial, Korban3's tutorial, random advice from Korban3, and looking at existing custom character files. A lot of the work has already been done if you use the existing characters as a guide.

Here's what I've been looking at:

http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/User_talk:Andrige

http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_t ... Overgrowth

Hope this helps!

-Java

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 am

Hm, exactly what I was doing. I'm totally going to have a second look at this. Honestly haven't done much after the retargeting David did. At least now I know it's possible, whereas before I was relying on blind hope.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:Hm, exactly what I was doing. I'm totally going to have a second look at this. Honestly haven't done much after the retargeting David did. At least now I know it's possible, whereas before I was relying on blind hope.
I can't be totally sure, but it also seems like people are still using the default rigging, and not using any custom rigs... I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes...

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:Hm, exactly what I was doing. I'm totally going to have a second look at this. Honestly haven't done much after the retargeting David did. At least now I know it's possible, whereas before I was relying on blind hope.
when i looked into overgrowth the first tutorial was this

http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_t ... Overgrowth

in the tutorial they talk about this program sculptris... downloaded it... LOVED IT

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

then i checked this video...

then, i downloaded the FOX character from this post by Korban3

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12101&hilit=raptor

uff..... that almost made it work... as you see in the trend "SYMMETRICAL PROBLEMS"

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16609

there was a lot... A LOT of try and error but Korban3, Last, BotheredMe, SteelRaven and Anton particulary helped a lot dismissing possible problems... and finally this trend... for the baking of the world tangent map, check this!

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/06/30/ ... ender_2_5/

HOPE IT HELPS!

skullavis

Post by skullavis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 am

Thank you, I love this model thus far and I hope to see you continue your hard work. It feels so good to run along walls as a Tengu, and I get to.... uhh, well, "wing" my enemies to death too~ silly wolves :P :

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:39 pm

skullavis wrote:Thank you, I love this model thus far and I hope to see you continue your hard work. It feels so good to run along walls as a Tengu, and I get to.... uhh, well, "wing" my enemies to death too~ silly wolves :P :
I'M REALLY GLAD YOU ENJOY PLAYING AS THE TENGU!

there's been much work from school lately...tried a new character for an animation but couldn't finish it... nevertheless when i get a little more time i'll make some new characters!

i have in mind a Grasshopper (Homemage to grasshopper manufacturer and suda 51)
a shark (would be cool)
a Bat (with mexian prehispanic motifs)
or a Female Bird character---