THE BAT!

Manjarowolf

Re: THE BAT!

Post by Manjarowolf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Djemps wrote:
Manjarowolf wrote:I made this video to show off some of the flying mod and Kamazotz gameplay. Anyway, enjoy.
Try to look past my odd attempt to make the wings flap. lol
Did you know that Le Petit Docteur has included custom running and ready-stance animations for the bat? He looks even cooler when set up correctly. :D
Yeah i have them installed. I made the video after testing out the normal files. after i made another with the new animations. i'll post it some other time. =)

pretzillez

Post by pretzillez » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm new to modding can someone explain how i can add this into my game?

pretzillez

Post by pretzillez » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 pm

How do I select the character skin?

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:05 pm

pretzillez wrote:How do I select the character skin?

character skin? or do you mean how to change it's colors?

to change color you select it's spawn cube and press CTR+SHIFT+P

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:05 am

pretzillez wrote:I'm new to modding can someone explain how i can add this into my game?
  • Download and extract the files to somewhere where you will find them. I created a "Overgrowth Mod" folder for this to have everything organised.
  • Next create a backup folder. Here you will copy all the files that you need to substitute with files from the mod. This way you can easily go back.
  • Open the "datakamazotz" folder. Select everything (from Animations to UI) and copy it.
    Open your Overgrowth Data folder.
  • Paste everything in. If you get a warning that something will be overridden (in this case the "characters.js" file) copy the original into your backup folder before proceeding.
  • Play the game and put the character in the map the same way you would do it normally.
  • Have a lot of fun.
If you also want to add the custom animation, just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread.

Noz

Post by Noz » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Freaking incredible. This is by far the best character I've seen on here.

Would it be possible to create a translucency map for the wings?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:46 am

Noz wrote:Freaking incredible. This is by far the best character I've seen on here.

Would it be possible to create a translucency map for the wings?
I don't think the current shader would know what to do with a translucency map. There's rimlighting, but it only works when a surface is pointing away.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/09/character-rim-lighting/

You'd have to create a new shader and tweak the rimlighting code so that it's using an inverse of the "facing away" calculation with the translucency map. The end result should be that if a surface is pointing towards us and it's marked in the translucency map, it's lighter than the surroundings.
Edit: I guess you could include light direction in the calculation as well.

last

Post by last » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:56 am

Don't know if this will help you but there is a <flags tag that you can add into your object .xml file.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11227&start=15#p158452

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:12 am

Code: Select all

#define CALC_RIM_HIGHLIGHT \
vec3 view = normalize(ws_vertex*-1.0); \
float back_lit = max(0.0,dot(normalize(ws_vertex),ws_light));  \
float rim_lit = max(0.0,(1.0-dot(view,ws_normal))); \
rim_lit *= pow((dot(ws_light,ws_normal)+1.0)*0.5,0.5); \
color += vec3(back_lit*rim_lit) * (1.0 - blood_amount) * GammaCorrectFloat(normalmap.a) * gl_LightSource[0].diffuse.xyz * gl_LightSource[0].diffuse.a * shadow_tex.r;
Let's see...

This probably calculates the rim light area:

rim_lit *= pow((dot(ws_light,ws_normal)+1.0)*0.5,0.5); \

This looks like where it calculates if the current triangle is facing away from the view, using dot product. Dot product between view vector and ws_normal (this triangle's normal?) return 1 when they're pointing the same way, 0 when there's a 90 degree angle between then, and -1 when they're pointing the opposite ways. Sometimes they're reversed though.
Any way, that explains the Max() function - they get rid of any results smaller than 0. Presumably those are pointing away from view and can't be seen.

When the dot result is 1 (pointing towards us, I think), value of (1 - dot ) is 0, and there's no light. When dot result is 0 (90-degree angle from view), value of (1-dot) is 1, and there's strong rimlight. So that's reversed to:

float rim_lit = max(0.0,(dot(view,ws_normal))); \

Then that's multiplied with this:

im_lit *= pow((dot(ws_light,ws_normal)+1.0)*0.5,0.5); \

Pow is power, and the second variable is 0.5. So it's (calculation) ^0.5 .
The dot product part gives value between -1 and 1. 1 is added, so it's between 0 and 2. It's multiplied by ½, leaving a range of 0 to 1. Raising a number in that range to a power of 0.5 will INCREASE it's value, to a maximum of 1.
Since this is multiplied with the previous result, this will WEAKEN the rimlight, overall, and the power calculation makes sure the differences between darker and lighter parts are exaggerated.

The actual values inside the dot seem to be light and normal info. So it's already taking lighting direction into account.

Changing the first rim_lit line and the texture that's read in would already provide an interesting result, but I don't think that'd be an actual translucency yet.

I haven't actually written shaders yet, only worked on the mechanics using a node-based editor, so I know the theory but now enough to actually make this. Still, it doesn't seem impossible.

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:30 pm

oooo the holidays.... i think the normal maps help a bit in the way the light bounces in the wings, so even if you're facing away from the light the shine will make it looks like it's partially translucent

XnonStudios

Post by XnonStudios » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 am

how do i become da bat i installed de mod but is there a mapkey button that i press to become the bat like the other characters

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:21 am

XnonStudios wrote:how do i become da bat i installed de mod but is there a mapkey button that i press to become the bat like the other characters

No, the number keys don't work. You have to add the character into the map as an enemy, and then select the character, and press the shortcut that sets a character into a playable character. I think it's Ctrl+P, but I could be wrong.

soccerxplayerx

Post by soccerxplayerx » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:54 pm

how do I get this character into the game I downloaded and extracted it and moved the file to where my data folder is but it is not appearing under characters

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:52 pm

soccerxplayerx wrote:how do I get this character into the game I downloaded and extracted it and moved the file to where my data folder is but it is not appearing under characters
Did you edit the file I told you to edit in the Flying mod thread?

EDIT: This character does not have a DATA folder. You need to copy the folders inside the DataMamazotz folder and put them inside the game's DATA folder to get him to work. Alternatively you can just rename the DataMamazotz folder to Data and do it like you did it with Tengu.
And don't forget the edit, otherwise you will be able to spawn the Bat, but not Tengu.

tompj

Post by tompj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:08 pm

dude can u make a .zip file for mac?